Dragons Smash Two Home Runs to Beat Cubs 4-1
South Bend, IN: After winning the first two games of their four-game series against the Dayton Dragons, the South Bend Cubs surrendered two long balls in game three on Saturday. Both off of starter Riley Thompson, Dayton's bats came alive on their way to their 14th win of the season in a 4-1 final.
Thompson came into Saturday night's start with 30 strikeouts in 29.0 innings and just one home run allowed. After a clean first inning and some immediate run support courtesy of an RBI single from Nelson Velazquez, Brian Rey went deep off of Thompson over the left-center field wall to make it 1-1.
In the 4th inning, Dayton immediately put two runners on base with the left-handed power hitting Shard Munroe coming up. Munroe crushed the second Dayton home run onto the concourse past right-center field, making it a 4-1 game. Thompson was pulled after four innings, but he struck out six batters to bring his season total to 36.
South Bend was unable to capitalize on the Dayton bullpen on Saturday. Between innings four and six, the Cubs left five men on base and went 1/8 with runners in scoring position.
Out of the bullpen, Zach Mort and Eugenio Palma combined for five shutout innings and five combined strikeouts. Palma put his best appearance of the season together with the three scoreless frames. His ERA is now lowered to 4.11.
The Cubs will try it again tomorrow in the series finale at 2:05 p.m. If the Cubs go on to beat Dayton in the finale, it will mark their fourth consecutive series win. Left-hander Brailyn Marquez is the expected starter for South Bend.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from May 18, 2019
- Herrera Homers But Chiefs Fall Saturday - Peoria Chiefs
- When Loons Attack; Back-To-Back-To-Back - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Dragons Smash Two Home Runs to Beat Cubs 4-1 - South Bend Cubs
- Third Straight One-Run Game Goes to Cougars - Kane County Cougars
- LumberKings Thumped, Drop 4th Straight - Clinton LumberKings
- Snappers fall in a close one to Cougars - Beloit Snappers
- Missed Opportunities Doom TinCaps in Defeat - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Fourth Inning Flurry Guides Bandits to 6-2 Victory - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Tater Trio Lifts Loons - Great Lakes Loons
- Kernels K.O. LumberKings, 8-2 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Putting the Win in Winckowski - Lansing Lugnuts
- Hot Rods Cruise to 11-3 Win over Captains - Lake County Captains
- Munroe's Home Run Lifts Dragons to 4-1 Win on Saturday - Dayton Dragons
- Hot Rods Use Early Homers to Pull Away in 11-3 Win - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Rattlers Rained Out in Burlington on Saturday - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Game Postponed - Burlington Bees
- TinCaps Game Notes: May 18 vs. Lansing (Game 40) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Bees Staffer Presents Piece of Family History to Timber Rattler Player - Burlington Bees
- Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Dayton Dragons GameDay & Notes for Saturday - Dayton Dragons
- Green & Gold Charity Softball Game Announces Participants for June 1 Game - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Bees Drop 14-9 Loss to Timber Rattlers - Burlington Bees
- Loons Enjoy Fifth in Win over 'Caps - West Michigan Whitecaps
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.