Third Straight One-Run Game Goes to Cougars
Beloit, Wisconsin - The Kane County Cougars (24-18) outlasted the Beloit Snappers (14-25) by the score of 3-2 on Saturday night at Pohlman Field in Wisconsin. The Cougars are 8-5 in one-run games.
The Cougars got on the board in the first inning. Alek Thomas doubled with one out. He advanced to third on a wild pitch. Jose Herrera plated Thomas with a sacrifice fly to center field. Beloit evened the score in the bottom of the fifth inning. Skyler Weber singled to start the inning, stole second base and advanced to third on a sacrifice bunt. Joseph Pena hit a sacrifice fly to tie the game, 1-1.
The sacrifice fly trend continued in the sixth when Buddy Kennedy pushed the Cougars back in front with an RBI. The Cougars extended the lead to 3-1 when Alek Thomas tripled and was driven in by Jose Herrera's double. Logan Farrar cut it to a one-run game in the bottom of the eighth with an RBI single.
The Cougars sixth inning run earned Jackson Goddard (3-2) the win. He allowed one run on four hits over 5.1 innings. Wesley Rodriguez, Andy Toelken and Ethan Larrison combined to throw 3.2 innings of shutout ball. Larrison (3) earned the save with a 1-2-3 ninth inning.
Adam Reuss (0-5) suffered the loss. He allowed the decisive run in the sixth and went on to throw four innings of two-run ball.
The Cougars and Snappers meet up for the final time in the four-game series on Sunday afternoon at 2:00. Follow the action live with Joe Brand on AM 1280 WBIG or on kccougars.com.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from May 18, 2019
- Herrera Homers But Chiefs Fall Saturday - Peoria Chiefs
- When Loons Attack; Back-To-Back-To-Back - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Dragons Smash Two Home Runs to Beat Cubs 4-1 - South Bend Cubs
- Third Straight One-Run Game Goes to Cougars - Kane County Cougars
- LumberKings Thumped, Drop 4th Straight - Clinton LumberKings
- Snappers fall in a close one to Cougars - Beloit Snappers
- Missed Opportunities Doom TinCaps in Defeat - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Fourth Inning Flurry Guides Bandits to 6-2 Victory - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Tater Trio Lifts Loons - Great Lakes Loons
- Kernels K.O. LumberKings, 8-2 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Putting the Win in Winckowski - Lansing Lugnuts
- Hot Rods Cruise to 11-3 Win over Captains - Lake County Captains
- Munroe's Home Run Lifts Dragons to 4-1 Win on Saturday - Dayton Dragons
- Hot Rods Use Early Homers to Pull Away in 11-3 Win - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Rattlers Rained Out in Burlington on Saturday - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Game Postponed - Burlington Bees
- TinCaps Game Notes: May 18 vs. Lansing (Game 40) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Bees Staffer Presents Piece of Family History to Timber Rattler Player - Burlington Bees
- Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Dayton Dragons GameDay & Notes for Saturday - Dayton Dragons
- Green & Gold Charity Softball Game Announces Participants for June 1 Game - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Bees Drop 14-9 Loss to Timber Rattlers - Burlington Bees
- Loons Enjoy Fifth in Win over 'Caps - West Michigan Whitecaps
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Kane County Cougars Stories
- Cougars Reveal Promotional Lineup for 2020 Season
- Cougars Announce Seasonal Job Fair Scheduled for February 8 and 23
- Cougars Announce Capital Improvements Ahead of 30th Anniversary Season
- Cougars Reveal Economic Impact Statement
- Harrison Returns to Manage Cougars for 2020 Season