Tater Trio Lifts Loons
COMSTOCK PARK, Mich. - Where to start with the Great Lakes Loons 7-1 victory over the West Michigan Whitecaps on Saturday night... The Loons made history hitting back-to-back-to-back home runs, Andre Jackson threw six near-perfect innings and Miguel Vargas continued to make his claim for Midwest League Player of the Week honors.
We begin with the three consecutive long balls the Loons hit to lead-off the sixth inning. Niko Hulsizer, Dillon Paulson and Jacob Amaya became the third trio in franchise history to go deep in consecutive order. All three home runs were hit in two-strike counts off lefty reliever Drew Crosby (L, 1-1). The other two occurrences of this feat came in 2010 (Blake Smith, Angelo Songco, Rafael Ynoa) and 2017 (Saige Jenco, Jeren Kendell, Gavin Lux).
While the Loons offense was pounding baseballs over the fences at Fifth Third Ballpark, Jackson was working efficiently threw six innings of what ended up being the best start for a Loons pitcher this year. Jackson (W, 3-1) faced the minimum while allowing just one hit. That hit, by Sam McMillan in the third inning, was erased on a double play. The 23-year-old Loons pitcher now has an earned run average of 0.36 (1 earned run in 24 2/3 innings) in his last five starts.
Lastly, we highlight Miguel Vargas. Yes, he had a pretty unimpressive 2-for-4 performance, but with two more hits on Saturday, Vargas is now 13-for-27 this week. The Cuban infielder has five multi-hit games since Monday and is now batting .303 this season.
After Jackson departed, piggyback starter Jose Martinez was sent to the hill to finish off the Whitecaps. Martinez (S, 3) nearly preserved what could have been the sixth one-hitter in Loons franchise history, but an error by Vargas in the ninth inning extended the game and West Michigan's Johnny Valente doubled. Martinez' final line read three innings, one hit, one unearned run, two walks and two strikeouts.
With the win, the Loons (24-15) remain in first place in the Midwest League Eastern Division and win their current five-game series against West Michigan (17-24) a day early. Sunday's series finale is scheduled for 2:00 p.m. EDT. Radio pregame coverage begins at 1:30 on ESPN 100.9-FM.
From the Box Score
Niko Hulsizer: 2-3, HR, 3B, 2 RBI, BB, HBP
Jair Camargo: 3-4, RBI, BB
Dillon Paulson: 1-4, Solo HR, BB
Jacob Amaya: 2 R, Solo HR, BB
Miguel Vargas: 2-4, 2 R, BB, SB
May 24: Feel Good Friday Kickoff; postgame Koozie Giveaway & concert with Jack Droppers & the Best Intentions
May 25: 3 Millionth Fan Celebration with $5,000 grand prize; postgame Fireworks Loontacular
May 26: Lou E's Kids Club Takeover
May 27: Military Appreciation Day feat. the first game-worn jersey auction of the season
The Great Lakes Loons have been the Single-A partner of the Los Angeles Dodgers since the team's inception in 2007. Dow Diamond serves as the team's home and also houses the Michigan Baseball Foundation, a 501(c)(3) non-profit public charity, and ESPN 100.9-FM. For tickets or information about the Loons, call 989-837-BALL or visit Loons.com.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from May 18, 2019
- Herrera Homers But Chiefs Fall Saturday - Peoria Chiefs
- When Loons Attack; Back-To-Back-To-Back - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Dragons Smash Two Home Runs to Beat Cubs 4-1 - South Bend Cubs
- Third Straight One-Run Game Goes to Cougars - Kane County Cougars
- LumberKings Thumped, Drop 4th Straight - Clinton LumberKings
- Snappers fall in a close one to Cougars - Beloit Snappers
- Missed Opportunities Doom TinCaps in Defeat - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Fourth Inning Flurry Guides Bandits to 6-2 Victory - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Tater Trio Lifts Loons - Great Lakes Loons
- Kernels K.O. LumberKings, 8-2 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Putting the Win in Winckowski - Lansing Lugnuts
- Hot Rods Cruise to 11-3 Win over Captains - Lake County Captains
- Munroe's Home Run Lifts Dragons to 4-1 Win on Saturday - Dayton Dragons
- Hot Rods Use Early Homers to Pull Away in 11-3 Win - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Rattlers Rained Out in Burlington on Saturday - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Game Postponed - Burlington Bees
- TinCaps Game Notes: May 18 vs. Lansing (Game 40) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Bees Staffer Presents Piece of Family History to Timber Rattler Player - Burlington Bees
- Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Dayton Dragons GameDay & Notes for Saturday - Dayton Dragons
- Green & Gold Charity Softball Game Announces Participants for June 1 Game - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Bees Drop 14-9 Loss to Timber Rattlers - Burlington Bees
- Loons Enjoy Fifth in Win over 'Caps - West Michigan Whitecaps
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.