Hot Rods Cruise to 11-3 Win over Captains
(Eastlake, OH) - The Bowling Green Hot Rods (24-18) used a four- run top of the fourth inning to pull away from the Lake County Captains (23-17) fueling the 11-3 victory on Saturday night at Classic Park. The Hot Rods fourth was capped by a three-run homer by Kaleo Johnson, his fifth of the season.
Bowling Green scored three runs in the top of the first inning. Michael Smith reached on an error, and motored to third on a single by Wander Franco. Both Smith and Franco scored on a two-out single by Grant Witherspoon. With the score 2-0 Bowling Green, Witherspoon eventually scored on a double by Jake Palomaki. After 1/2 inning it was 3-0 Bowling Green.
The Captains answered back with three runs of their own in the bottom of the opening frame. Jose Fermin, fresh of the IL, singled and scored on Tyler Freeman's third home run of the season and the score was 3-2. Ruben Cardenas hit his fourth homer of the season and after one inning it was tied 3-3.
Bowling Green took the lead in the third inning on Chris Betts' sixth home run of the season and the score was 4-3. After the Hot Rods big fourth inning, they scored three more times. Tony Pena tripled and scored in the fifth inning and the Hot Rods added two in the ninth to close out the game. The final score was 11-3.
Lake County started Shane McCarthy (4-3) and Shane took the loss. McCarthy pitched 3.2 Innings and allowed eight runs, five earned on nine hits. McCarthy walked two, struck out five and allowed two home runs. The Captains bullpen twirled 5.1 and allowed three earned runs on seven hits. The pen combined for one walk and three strikeouts. Lake County used four pitchers in relief, Riley Echols, Eli Lingos, Luis Araujo and Zack Draper.
Bowling Green started Christopher Sanchez who didn't get a decision. Sanchez pitched just four innings and allowed three earned runs on four hits, one walk and he struck out two. Sanchez surrendered both home runs. Alan Strong (3-1) earned the win after pitching five scoreless innings in relief. Strong allowed three hits and struck out seven.
The Captains and Hot Rods will play game four of a four game series on Sunday afternoon at Classic Park. First Pitch is scheduled for 1:30. The Captains are expected to start RHP Luis Oviedo (4-2, 4.13) while Bowling Green will counter with RHP Easton McGee (3-0, 1.86).
The Captains have affordable ticket packages and group outings are available for purchase now and more information may be found at www.CaptainsBaseball.com or by calling 440-954-WINS (9467).
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from May 18, 2019
- Herrera Homers But Chiefs Fall Saturday - Peoria Chiefs
- When Loons Attack; Back-To-Back-To-Back - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Dragons Smash Two Home Runs to Beat Cubs 4-1 - South Bend Cubs
- Third Straight One-Run Game Goes to Cougars - Kane County Cougars
- LumberKings Thumped, Drop 4th Straight - Clinton LumberKings
- Snappers fall in a close one to Cougars - Beloit Snappers
- Missed Opportunities Doom TinCaps in Defeat - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Fourth Inning Flurry Guides Bandits to 6-2 Victory - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Tater Trio Lifts Loons - Great Lakes Loons
- Kernels K.O. LumberKings, 8-2 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Putting the Win in Winckowski - Lansing Lugnuts
- Hot Rods Cruise to 11-3 Win over Captains - Lake County Captains
- Munroe's Home Run Lifts Dragons to 4-1 Win on Saturday - Dayton Dragons
- Hot Rods Use Early Homers to Pull Away in 11-3 Win - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Rattlers Rained Out in Burlington on Saturday - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Game Postponed - Burlington Bees
- TinCaps Game Notes: May 18 vs. Lansing (Game 40) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Bees Staffer Presents Piece of Family History to Timber Rattler Player - Burlington Bees
- Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Dayton Dragons GameDay & Notes for Saturday - Dayton Dragons
- Green & Gold Charity Softball Game Announces Participants for June 1 Game - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Bees Drop 14-9 Loss to Timber Rattlers - Burlington Bees
- Loons Enjoy Fifth in Win over 'Caps - West Michigan Whitecaps
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.