LumberKings Thumped, Drop 4th Straight
CLINTON, IA - The Clinton LumberKings dropped their fourth straight game 8-2 to the Cedar Rapids Kernels on Saturday night at LumberKings Stadium. The lopsided loss saw LumberKings' (19-21) batters go down 20 times by way of the strikeout against Kernels' (20-22) pitching.
Clinton took an early lead in the bottom of the first against Cedar Rapids starter Cole Sands. Following a leadoff single by Connor Scott, Sean Reynolds tripled off the wall in right to bring home the game's first run.
Sands (2-1) allowed no more runs over his five innings of work and earned the win for his time out. He managed to navigate eight hits by the LumberKings while walking none and striking out a season-high 10 batters.
Cedar Rapids took the lead in the top of the second against LumberKings starter George Soriano. Ben Rodriguez and Jared Akins opened the frame with singles and both scored to give the Kernels a lead they would not surrender.
Soriano (0-4) was given the loss for his five plus innings of work. He allowed 10 hits - a new season high - while walking none and striking out four.
The Kernels then continued to add to their lead with a single run in the fourth, three runs in the sixth, and two more runs in the ninth. Five Cedar Rapids batters had multi-hit games with Jared Akins and Gabriel Maciel leading the way with three. In total, LumberKings pitching allowed 15 hits on the night to set a new season high for hits surrendered in a game.
Clinton's offense continued to stall behind a 20-strikeout pitching performance by Kernels pitchers Sanders, Austin Schulfer, and Joes Martinez. Schulfer faced 10 batters - struck out eight - and finished his night by striking out his final eight batters.
In the top of the ninth, Martinez struck out the first batter he faced to bring the string of consecutive batters struck out to nine. The LumberKings managed to put one more run up with two outs in the inning. Marcos Rivera singled and was chased home on a Ricardo Cespedes triple off the wall in right - his third hit of the night.
The LumberKings will meet the Cedar Rapids Kernels for fourth and final game of their series starting on Sunday afternoon. Clinton will throw right-handed pitcher Tanner Andrews (0-1, 3.77) while the Kernels will counter with righty Josh Winder (2-1, 2.97). Fans looking to listen to the game can hear Erik Oas on the call at 100.3 FM WCCI and online at lumberkings.com via the tunein radio ap at 1:45 p.m. (CDT) with the pregame show.
Sunday the LumberKings will rebrand to the Clinton Elotes as part of Minor League Baseball's Copa de la Diversion! Enjoy latex themed, music, games, and fun all game long. Miss Clinton County will be on hand to take pictures and hand out tierras.
All Sunday games in Clinton are "Family Funday Sundays." Bring the whole family out for free face painting, balloon artists, and postgame kids runs the bases courtesy of the Children's Discovery Center.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from May 18, 2019
- Herrera Homers But Chiefs Fall Saturday - Peoria Chiefs
- When Loons Attack; Back-To-Back-To-Back - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Dragons Smash Two Home Runs to Beat Cubs 4-1 - South Bend Cubs
- Third Straight One-Run Game Goes to Cougars - Kane County Cougars
- LumberKings Thumped, Drop 4th Straight - Clinton LumberKings
- Snappers fall in a close one to Cougars - Beloit Snappers
- Missed Opportunities Doom TinCaps in Defeat - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Fourth Inning Flurry Guides Bandits to 6-2 Victory - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Tater Trio Lifts Loons - Great Lakes Loons
- Kernels K.O. LumberKings, 8-2 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Putting the Win in Winckowski - Lansing Lugnuts
- Hot Rods Cruise to 11-3 Win over Captains - Lake County Captains
- Munroe's Home Run Lifts Dragons to 4-1 Win on Saturday - Dayton Dragons
- Hot Rods Use Early Homers to Pull Away in 11-3 Win - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Rattlers Rained Out in Burlington on Saturday - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Game Postponed - Burlington Bees
- TinCaps Game Notes: May 18 vs. Lansing (Game 40) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Bees Staffer Presents Piece of Family History to Timber Rattler Player - Burlington Bees
- Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Dayton Dragons GameDay & Notes for Saturday - Dayton Dragons
- Green & Gold Charity Softball Game Announces Participants for June 1 Game - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Bees Drop 14-9 Loss to Timber Rattlers - Burlington Bees
- Loons Enjoy Fifth in Win over 'Caps - West Michigan Whitecaps
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.