Kernels Walk-Off Again on Steer's Single
CEDAR RAPIDS, IOWA - Spencer Steer's RBI single in the ninth inning gave the Kernels their fourth walk-off win in the past seven games. Friday's 2-1 win over Quad Cities gave Cedar Rapids the victory in the series that included all three games decided by one run. The two teams will square off next week in the opening round of the Midwest League playoffs.
Daniel Ozoria made his way to second base with one out in the ninth inning after a terrific bunt led to a two-base throwing error by Bandits pitcher Layne Henderson. With the game tied 1-1, Steer batted next and drilled a liner into left-center that allowed Ozoria to score the winning run.
The game was scoreless until Cedar Rapids (36-31, 75-62) scored a run in the seventh inning. Ozoria drew a one-out walk and stole second base to get into scoring position. He scored the game's first run on Gabe Snyder's two-out RBI triple. The smash stayed just fair down the right field line and rolled into the corner for his fourth triple of the season.
Quad Cities (35-21, 78-55) tied the game 1-1 in the eighth inning. Austin Dennis drew a two-out walk and quickly stole second base. He scored on a RBI single to center by Oscar Campos.
Andrew Cabezas started and kept the River Bandits off the scoreboard through 5.2 innings. He allowed five hits and three walks while striking out three. Quad Cities loaded the bases in the second inning with no outs, but Cabezas kept Quad Cities from scoring with a force out at home and an inning-ending 1-2-3 double play. J.T. Perez entered in the sixth inning and stranded a runner at second before tossing a scoreless seventh inning. Nate Hadley (2-1) struck out five hitters over the final two innings for the victory.
Matt Ruppenthal struck out seven over 6.2 innings, allowing one run on seven hits. His 100th and final pitch of the night was Snyder's run-scoring triple in the seventh inning. Henderson (2-2) took the loss in relief.
The Kernels travel to Beloit for the final three games of the regular season. Saturday night's game begins at 6:30 p.m. and features Josh Winder (7-2, 2.68) and Beloit's Angello Infante (3-5, 2.98). You can listen to the action on 1450 KMRY AM and 93.1 FM and also online at www.kmryradio.com, and www.kernels.com.
The Midwest League playoffs begin on Wednesday night as Cedar Rapids hosts the Quad Cities River Bandits. First pitch on September 4 begins at 6:35 p.m.
Fans can purchase tickets for all 2019 Cedar Rapids Kernels home games, including the playoff opener September 4 against the Quad Cities River Bandits, by visiting www.kernels.com, going to the Kernels Ticket Office, or calling 319-896-7560. The Kernels Ticket Office is open from 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday and from 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. on Saturdays.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from August 30, 2019
- 10th-Inning Loss Ends Nuts' Playoff Hopes - Lansing Lugnuts
- Kernels Walk-Off Again on Steer's Single - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Cardenas Spoils Lingos' Gem - Lake County Captains
- Bats Slumber Early Again, Wake up too Late - Burlington Bees
- Dominant Road Trip Closes with Tight Win - Kane County Cougars
- River Bandits Walked-Off Once More in Cedar Rapids - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Walters Tosses 7 No-Hit Innings, Clinton Takes 6th Straight - Clinton LumberKings
- Wisconsinâ??s Home Season Ends with a Close Loss to Kane County - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Chiefs Fall Friday in Home Finale - Peoria Chiefs
- Snappers Bats Erupt To Break 5-Game Skid - Beloit Snappers
- Marcano Smacks Four Hits in Series Finale - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Sinkholes Close Home Slate with 1-0 Win in Front of 6,219 - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Outman Continues to Impress - Great Lakes Loons
- Wynne Strikes out 12 in Dragons 4-3 Victory - Dayton Dragons
- Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Seth Gray joins Kernels from Elizabethton - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Kane County Cougars Announce Schedule for 2020 Season - Kane County Cougars
- Dragons on TV Saturday and Sunday on Dayton's CW - Dayton Dragons
- Dragons Homestand Preview for August 31 - September 2 - Dayton Dragons
- Chiefs Announce 2020 Schedule - Peoria Chiefs
- Dragons Notes for Friday - Dayton Dragons
- TinCaps Game Notes: August 30 vs. South Bend (Game 135) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Kane County Cougars Clinch Spot in the Postseason - Kane County Cougars
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Cedar Rapids Kernels Stories
- Kernels Invited to be a Minnesota Twins Affiliate
- Kernels 2020 Season Canceled
- Nick Adenhart Scholarships Awarded to two Eastern Iowa High School Graduates
- Adenhart Scholarship Deadline Approaches
- Kernels Seeking Nominations for Third Annual Kid Heroes Recognition