Walters Tosses 7 No-Hit Innings, Clinton Takes 6th Straight
BURLINGTON, IA - Jake Walters tossed seven no-hit innings and the Clinton LumberKings completed a three-game series sweep with a 6-3 win over the Burlington Bees on Friday night at Community Field. The LumberKings (43-24, 76-60) sweep shrinks their magic number to clinch the Western Division to three.
Clinton, as they have done all series long, started the scoring early. They scored the game's first runs in the top of the third against Bees (27-40, 66-71) starter Robinson Pina. In a theme that would last the rest of the night, the LumberKings benefited from Burlington errors. Two walks and three errors brought home the first run of the inning before Will Banfield drove home the final run of the inning with an RBI single to right center field.
The runs were enough to hang Pina (5-8) with the loss. Over his four innings of work he allowed two runs on four hits while walking four and striking out seven. Again, LumberKings hitters struggled with the strikeout as Bees pitching struck out 17 by the end of the night.
The lead was extended to its widest margin in the top of the eighth with Clinton's second two-run rally of the night. Without the benefit of a hit, Peyton Burdick and Kameron Misner scored after drawing leadoff walks - scoring on a combination stolen base, flyout, and groundout.
Walters (7-4) earned the win for Clinton with his strongest start of the year. He turned in seven no-hit shutout innings of work while walking one and striking out nine.
Burlington plated all of their runs in the bottom of the eighth. Francisco opened the frame with a double to left - the first Bees hit of the night - and scored four batters later on a two-run single by Johan Sala. Livan Soto then added an RBI ground out to pull Burlington to within one run.
In the top of the ninth, Clinton added a pair of insurance runs. They drew two walks in the inning to bring their total to nine - with five of the LumberKings six runs scored on batters who reached via the walk. Jose Devers brought home the first run of the rally with an RBI double to left and scored on a wild pitch and throwing error on a failed pick off attempt.
Zach Wolf worked the final 1.2 innings for Clinton and was awarded his team leading 15th save of the year.
The LumberKings will now return home for the final three-games of the regular season meeting the Peoria Chiefs on Saturday night. Clinton will throw righty Josh Roberson (3-4, 2.47) while Peoria will tap righty Mike Brettell (5-9, 5.15). First pitch is scheduled for 6:30 p.m. (CDT). Fans looking to listen to the game can hear Erik Oas with the pregame show on 6:15 p.m. with the pregame show on 100.3 FM WCCI and online at lumberkings.com via the tunein radio app.
The final homestand of the regular season opens with a promotion packed night at the ballpark. Arrive early for the first of two giveaways during the homestand. Gates open at 5 pm with the first 500 fans through the gates receiving a LumberKings t-shirt courtesy of 4-Imprint!
After the game, head to the Dr. Pepper Picnic Garden for a postgame concert to close out the "Stay Late Saturday Concert Series." Following the final out, The Stockwell's take the stage for more Saturday night fun!
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from August 30, 2019
- 10th-Inning Loss Ends Nuts' Playoff Hopes - Lansing Lugnuts
- Kernels Walk-Off Again on Steer's Single - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Cardenas Spoils Lingos' Gem - Lake County Captains
- Bats Slumber Early Again, Wake up too Late - Burlington Bees
- Dominant Road Trip Closes with Tight Win - Kane County Cougars
- River Bandits Walked-Off Once More in Cedar Rapids - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Walters Tosses 7 No-Hit Innings, Clinton Takes 6th Straight - Clinton LumberKings
- Wisconsinâ??s Home Season Ends with a Close Loss to Kane County - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Chiefs Fall Friday in Home Finale - Peoria Chiefs
- Snappers Bats Erupt To Break 5-Game Skid - Beloit Snappers
- Marcano Smacks Four Hits in Series Finale - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Sinkholes Close Home Slate with 1-0 Win in Front of 6,219 - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Outman Continues to Impress - Great Lakes Loons
- Wynne Strikes out 12 in Dragons 4-3 Victory - Dayton Dragons
- Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Seth Gray joins Kernels from Elizabethton - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Kane County Cougars Announce Schedule for 2020 Season - Kane County Cougars
- Dragons on TV Saturday and Sunday on Dayton's CW - Dayton Dragons
- Dragons Homestand Preview for August 31 - September 2 - Dayton Dragons
- Chiefs Announce 2020 Schedule - Peoria Chiefs
- Dragons Notes for Friday - Dayton Dragons
- TinCaps Game Notes: August 30 vs. South Bend (Game 135) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Kane County Cougars Clinch Spot in the Postseason - Kane County Cougars
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Clinton LumberKings Stories
- Curbside Concessions Going into Extra Innings
- Last Call for Curbside Concessions at NelsonCorp Field
- Purina celebrates PetCare Pride Day by partnering with Clinton LumberKings and Clausen
- Stockwells to Perform on September 5th
- Paul Davis Scholarship Announced