Marcano Smacks Four Hits in Series Finale
FORT WAYNE, Ind. - Despite racking up 10 hits, the TinCaps fell to the South Bend Cubs (Chicago Cubs affiliate), 6-4, on Friday night at Parkview Field.
The TinCaps (28-39, 61-74) struck first when Tucupita Marcano doubled leading off the bottom of the first inning and later came home to score on a Michael Curry RBI groundout. Marcano added three singles later in the game, his team-leading 37th multi-hit game of the season. He also is the first TinCap with three four-hit games during the 2019 season.
Ryan Weathers made his final start of the season, allowing three runs in five innings with four strikeouts. Weathers didn't walk anyone - he issued just 18 walks in 96 innings during the 2019 season, a rate that ranked in the top five among Midwest League starters who tossed at least 90 innings.
The 'Caps crept closer with a run in the fifth on another Curry RBI groundout, but the Cubs (37-29, 74-60) put the game away with three more runs in the seventh via a Nelson Maldonado three-run triple down the right-field line.
The TinCaps refused to quit, scoring single runs in the seventh and eighth innings on a Justin Lopez RBI single and a Ripken Reyes sacrifice fly, respectively. Yet, Fort Wayne couldn't quite finish the job: the TinCaps left 11 runners on base in the game, including eight combined between the final five innings. Fort Wayne was 1-for-12 with runners in scoring position.
Shortly after the game went final, the Lansing Lugnuts lost to the West Michigan Whitecaps in Michigan's capital city. As a result, South Bend clinched a Midwest League Eastern Division playoff berth.
Saturday, Aug. 31 vs. Lansing (7:05 p.m.)
- TinCaps Probable Starter: RHP Edwuin Bencomo
- Lugnuts Probable Starter: RHP Troy Miller
Watch: Comcast Network 81 & MiLB.TV
Listen: ESPN Radio 1380 & 100.9 FM | TinCapsRadio.com | TuneIn
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from August 30, 2019
- 10th-Inning Loss Ends Nuts' Playoff Hopes - Lansing Lugnuts
- Kernels Walk-Off Again on Steer's Single - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Cardenas Spoils Lingos' Gem - Lake County Captains
- Bats Slumber Early Again, Wake up too Late - Burlington Bees
- Dominant Road Trip Closes with Tight Win - Kane County Cougars
- River Bandits Walked-Off Once More in Cedar Rapids - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Walters Tosses 7 No-Hit Innings, Clinton Takes 6th Straight - Clinton LumberKings
- Wisconsinâ??s Home Season Ends with a Close Loss to Kane County - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Chiefs Fall Friday in Home Finale - Peoria Chiefs
- Snappers Bats Erupt To Break 5-Game Skid - Beloit Snappers
- Marcano Smacks Four Hits in Series Finale - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Sinkholes Close Home Slate with 1-0 Win in Front of 6,219 - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Outman Continues to Impress - Great Lakes Loons
- Wynne Strikes out 12 in Dragons 4-3 Victory - Dayton Dragons
- Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Seth Gray joins Kernels from Elizabethton - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Kane County Cougars Announce Schedule for 2020 Season - Kane County Cougars
- Dragons on TV Saturday and Sunday on Dayton's CW - Dayton Dragons
- Dragons Homestand Preview for August 31 - September 2 - Dayton Dragons
- Chiefs Announce 2020 Schedule - Peoria Chiefs
- Dragons Notes for Friday - Dayton Dragons
- TinCaps Game Notes: August 30 vs. South Bend (Game 135) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Kane County Cougars Clinch Spot in the Postseason - Kane County Cougars
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.