Snappers Bats Erupt To Break 5-Game Skid
PEORIA, IL - Beloit had struggled as of late to the two teams nearest them in the Midwest Leagues standings, but the Snappers made sure to leave Peoria on a good note on Friday night.
For the first time in a while, the Snappers were firing on all cylinders as their piggyback pitchers' pitched remarkable and their offense erupted for their 9-2 win.
The Snappers started hot out of the gates with a 1-out double by Max Schuemann and a following 2-out single by Anthony Churlin. While Peoria would quickly grab a run back to even it up, the Snappers responded with 2 more 1-inning frames in the 3rd off a Max Schuemann sac-fly and in the 5th off a Devin Foyle RBI single.
Piggyback starter Rafael Kelly would make good work of the Chiefs offense by hurling 5 innings of 1 run ball. He would only allow 3 batters to reach base, all on hits, and would strike out 4 during his work. On top of that, Kelly's 1 run scored in the 1st inning was unearned. His hard work let the Snappers offense power through the Chiefs' pitching.
While 3 runs would have won tonight's game for the Snappers, they would not let up after the 5th. The Snappers would tack on a huge 5-run 8th inning which saw walks from Lester Madden, Michael Woodworth, and Max Schuemann to set up for RBI singles from Santis Sanchez and Devin Foyle and an RBI double from Nick Ward. The Snappers would also tack on 1 extra run in the 9th inning after Michael Woodworth singled after 2 walks from Skyler Weber and Nick Ward
Chase Cohen would be the second part of the Snappers' piggyback rotation in tonight's ball game. Cohen would provide 4 innings of work in which he allowed 1 run and struck out 5 batters. Cohen would earn the long save for the Snappers, something they have done numerous times throughout the 2019 season.
With the Beloit's win on Friday night, that concludes the road portion of the 2019 season for Snappers. They finish their season 33-38 on the road, quite better than they played at home. They return to Beloit to play their final series of the season which is versus the Cedar Rapids Kernels.
First pitch in Beloit is tomorrow at 6:30 PM on Fan Appreciation Night at Pohlman Field.
The Beloit Snappers are a member of the Midwest League and have been the Single-A affiliate of the Oakland Athletics. For more ticket information, contact the Snappers office at (608) 362-2272 or visit our website, www.snappersbaseball.com.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from August 30, 2019
- 10th-Inning Loss Ends Nuts' Playoff Hopes - Lansing Lugnuts
- Kernels Walk-Off Again on Steer's Single - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Cardenas Spoils Lingos' Gem - Lake County Captains
- Bats Slumber Early Again, Wake up too Late - Burlington Bees
- Dominant Road Trip Closes with Tight Win - Kane County Cougars
- River Bandits Walked-Off Once More in Cedar Rapids - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Walters Tosses 7 No-Hit Innings, Clinton Takes 6th Straight - Clinton LumberKings
- Wisconsinâ??s Home Season Ends with a Close Loss to Kane County - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Chiefs Fall Friday in Home Finale - Peoria Chiefs
- Snappers Bats Erupt To Break 5-Game Skid - Beloit Snappers
- Marcano Smacks Four Hits in Series Finale - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Sinkholes Close Home Slate with 1-0 Win in Front of 6,219 - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Outman Continues to Impress - Great Lakes Loons
- Wynne Strikes out 12 in Dragons 4-3 Victory - Dayton Dragons
- Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Seth Gray joins Kernels from Elizabethton - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Kane County Cougars Announce Schedule for 2020 Season - Kane County Cougars
- Dragons on TV Saturday and Sunday on Dayton's CW - Dayton Dragons
- Dragons Homestand Preview for August 31 - September 2 - Dayton Dragons
- Chiefs Announce 2020 Schedule - Peoria Chiefs
- Dragons Notes for Friday - Dayton Dragons
- TinCaps Game Notes: August 30 vs. South Bend (Game 135) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Kane County Cougars Clinch Spot in the Postseason - Kane County Cougars
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Beloit Snappers Stories
- Beloit Baseball Begins Franchise Refresh By Collecting Fan Feedback For A New Team Name
- Check out the New Snappers Stadium
- Familiar Faces to Lead Snappers 2020 Field Staff
- Plan for Downtown Beloit Stadium Development Announced Along with New Ownership
- Future Stars, Baseball, and New Promotions Highlight Snappers Fun-Filled 2019 Season