Wynne Strikes out 12 in Dragons 4-3 Victory
Midland, Mich. - Dayton pitcher Randy Wynne notched 12 strikeouts in his first start since joining the team and reliever Jerry D'Andrea worked out of a jam for the save as the Dragons defeated the Great Lakes Loons 4-3 on Friday night. The contest was the final road game of the year for the Dragons as they won the three-game series with the Loons, who opened the set with the Midwest League's best record.
Wynne, just called up from Greeneville of the Appalachian League where he struck out 17 batters in a game 10 days ago, struck out the most hitters in a game for the Dragons since Franderlin Romero struck out 12 at Bowling Green on April 26, 2016. Wynne, signed by the Reds out the independent Frontier League earlier this summer, came up just two strikeouts short of the club record of 14. He did not walk a batter over seven and two-thirds innings, allowing seven hits and three runs (two earned). He went to a three-ball count only once, in the eighth inning.
The Dragons scored in the top of the first inning when Cameron Warren doubled off the right field fence, went to third on Michael Siani's infield single, and scored with two outs when Randy Ventura hustled down the line for an infield single on an otherwise routine ground ball to third base to make it 1-0. Great Lakes tied the game when their lead-off hitter in the bottom of the first, James Outman, hit a home run to right field.
The Dragons jumped back in front in the third inning when Warren singled with one out, went to third on Siani's double to the right field corner, and scored on Matt Lloyd's ground out to make it 2-1. The Dragons tacked on two more runs in the fourth when Siani lined a double to left-center field with two outs to bring in Juan Martinez and Miguel Hernandez to make it 4-1.
With one out in the eighth, Outman connected on a two-run home run after a Dayton error, his second homer of the game and 19th of the year, to make it 4-3. Two batters later, D'Andrea replaced Wynne with two outs and the tying run at second base. D'Andrea got a strikeout to end the eighth and then struck out the side in order in the ninth for his fourth save.
The Dragons collected 11 hits including three each by Siani, Warren, and Martinez.
Up Next: The Dragons (29-38, 57-80) return home to open their final home series of the season on Saturday night at 7:05 p.m. against the West Michigan Whitecaps (25-41, 46-89). Jordan Johnson will make his second start of the year for the Dragons while West Michigan will counter with Sandel De La Cruz (3-4, 3.81). The series continues Sunday at 2:05 and Monday at 2:00. The games on Saturday and Sunday will be televised on Dayton's CW (channel 26; Spectrum cable channels 13 and 1013).
For Dragons ticket information, call (937) 228-2287.
On the Air: All Dragons home and road games are broadcast on radio on Fox Sports 980 WONE AM. Games can be heard on smart phones, iPads, and other mobile devices via the free Dragons Mobile App, or on a computer at wone.com. Games are also available on HD Radio on 104.7 WTUI HD 2. All Saturday and Sunday home games are televised on Dayton's CW (channel 26; Spectrum cable channels 13 and 1013).
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from August 30, 2019
- 10th-Inning Loss Ends Nuts' Playoff Hopes - Lansing Lugnuts
- Kernels Walk-Off Again on Steer's Single - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Cardenas Spoils Lingos' Gem - Lake County Captains
- Bats Slumber Early Again, Wake up too Late - Burlington Bees
- Dominant Road Trip Closes with Tight Win - Kane County Cougars
- River Bandits Walked-Off Once More in Cedar Rapids - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Walters Tosses 7 No-Hit Innings, Clinton Takes 6th Straight - Clinton LumberKings
- Wisconsinâ??s Home Season Ends with a Close Loss to Kane County - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Chiefs Fall Friday in Home Finale - Peoria Chiefs
- Snappers Bats Erupt To Break 5-Game Skid - Beloit Snappers
- Marcano Smacks Four Hits in Series Finale - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Sinkholes Close Home Slate with 1-0 Win in Front of 6,219 - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Outman Continues to Impress - Great Lakes Loons
- Wynne Strikes out 12 in Dragons 4-3 Victory - Dayton Dragons
- Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Seth Gray joins Kernels from Elizabethton - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Kane County Cougars Announce Schedule for 2020 Season - Kane County Cougars
- Dragons on TV Saturday and Sunday on Dayton's CW - Dayton Dragons
- Dragons Homestand Preview for August 31 - September 2 - Dayton Dragons
- Chiefs Announce 2020 Schedule - Peoria Chiefs
- Dragons Notes for Friday - Dayton Dragons
- TinCaps Game Notes: August 30 vs. South Bend (Game 135) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Kane County Cougars Clinch Spot in the Postseason - Kane County Cougars
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Dayton Dragons Stories
- Dragons Special 50/50 Raffle to Benefit COVID-19 Response Fund & African-American Community Fund
- Dayton Dragons 2020 Season Is Cancelled
- Dayton Dragons Issue Statement Regarding Governor's Order
- Dayton Dragons 2020 Team Preview, Part 3: Second Basemen
- Dayton Dragons 2020 Team Preview, Part 2: First Basemen