Cardenas Spoils Lingos' Gem
(Bowling Green, KY) - Eli Lingos fired six strong innings on Friday night, but former Captain Ruben Cardenas burned his old club. Cardenas' fourth-inning solo home run represented the only run in the game, as the Lake County Captains (33-34, 73-63) lost to the Bowling Green Hot Rods (41-25, 80-56) at Bowling Green Ballpark, 1-0.
Lingos blanked the Hot Rods over the first three innings and struck out the first two men in the fourth when Cardenas came up. On a 1-1 pitch, Cardenas, who was traded from the Cleveland Indians to the Tampa Bay Rays on July 28, pulled the ball over the left field wall to put Bowling Green in front, 1-0. It was Cardenas' 13th homer of the year, his third with Bowling Green and his second against the Captains.
Lingos (3-4) went on to take a tough-luck loss. The lefty allowed just one run over six innings with five strikeouts and one walk. Kyle Marman followed Lingos and spun two scoreless frames, in which he struck out five of the six men he faced.
Hot Rods starter Alan Strong earned the win. Strong (10-4) held the Captains scoreless over five innings. He allowed four hits, struck out six and walked one. Hector Figueroa followed with two scoreless innings with three hits, no walks and two strikeouts. Lefty Michael Costanzo nailed down his third save and secured the three-man shutout. He struck out one and allowed one baserunner on a strikeout wild pitch. Costanzo ended the game by getting Jesse Berardi to bounce into a 4-6-3 double play in the ninth.
The Captains lost the last two games of their three-game series at Bowling Green and will return home to wrap up the regular season with a three-game series against the Great Lakes Loons the same team they will face in the opening round of the playoffs. The opening game of the final regular season series of the season is scheduled for Saturday night at 7:00 p.m. at Classic Park. The Captains host game one of the playoffs on Wednesday, September 4, at 7:00 p.m.
Individual game tickets for all Captains games are on sale at the Classic Park box office, online at captainsbaseball.com and by phone at 440-954-WINS (9467). Mini ticket plans for the 2019 season are still available for great prices complete with several exclusive benefits. Information can be found at the Captains website www.captainsbaseball.com.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from August 30, 2019
- 10th-Inning Loss Ends Nuts' Playoff Hopes - Lansing Lugnuts
- Kernels Walk-Off Again on Steer's Single - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Cardenas Spoils Lingos' Gem - Lake County Captains
- Bats Slumber Early Again, Wake up too Late - Burlington Bees
- Dominant Road Trip Closes with Tight Win - Kane County Cougars
- River Bandits Walked-Off Once More in Cedar Rapids - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Walters Tosses 7 No-Hit Innings, Clinton Takes 6th Straight - Clinton LumberKings
- Wisconsinâ??s Home Season Ends with a Close Loss to Kane County - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Chiefs Fall Friday in Home Finale - Peoria Chiefs
- Snappers Bats Erupt To Break 5-Game Skid - Beloit Snappers
- Marcano Smacks Four Hits in Series Finale - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Sinkholes Close Home Slate with 1-0 Win in Front of 6,219 - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Outman Continues to Impress - Great Lakes Loons
- Wynne Strikes out 12 in Dragons 4-3 Victory - Dayton Dragons
- Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Seth Gray joins Kernels from Elizabethton - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Kane County Cougars Announce Schedule for 2020 Season - Kane County Cougars
- Dragons on TV Saturday and Sunday on Dayton's CW - Dayton Dragons
- Dragons Homestand Preview for August 31 - September 2 - Dayton Dragons
- Chiefs Announce 2020 Schedule - Peoria Chiefs
- Dragons Notes for Friday - Dayton Dragons
- TinCaps Game Notes: August 30 vs. South Bend (Game 135) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Kane County Cougars Clinch Spot in the Postseason - Kane County Cougars
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Lake County Captains Stories
- Movie Nights Powered by NOPEC Will Begin August 22
- Captains Postpone Movie Nights Powered by NOPEC
- Captains, City of Eastlake Cancel July 22 Concert
- Captains to Host Five Movie Nights Powered by NOPEC
- Captains, City of Eastlake Announce July 22 Concert at Captains Ballpark