Bats Slumber Early Again, Wake up too Late
For the second straight night Clinton took a no hitter late into the contest, and for the second straight night Burlington rallied late to make it a game. They fell short. This time the score was 6-3.
Clinton starter Jakes Walters went seven full innings. He allowed no runs and no hits. He walked one and struck out nine with 92 pitches, 61 for strikes.
The Lumber Kings took a 2-0 lead in the top of the third on a walk and two singles. While the runs were earned, they were aided by three Bees errors.
Down 4-0 in the bottom of the eighth, Francisco Del Valle greeted Clinton reliever Peyton Culbertson by driving a ball deep into the left field gap for a double. One out later, Alvaro Rubalcaba walked. Rayneldy Rosario then hit a spinning grounder to behind the bag at second for a single to load the bases. Johan Sala, with his first hit since joining the team earlier this week, drove in two runs. After a pitching change, Rosario was plated by a Livan Soto ground out. Clinton up 4-3.
Bees' reliever Greg Veliz gave up two runs in the ninth, one earned, and that closed out the scoring.
The win gave the LumberKings a sweep of the series, as they head toward the playoffs. Burlington gets no relief in their final series as they travel to second place Kane County for the final three games.
Images from this story
Johan Sala of the Burlington Bees
(Bees Media Relations)
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from August 30, 2019
- 10th-Inning Loss Ends Nuts' Playoff Hopes - Lansing Lugnuts
- Kernels Walk-Off Again on Steer's Single - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Cardenas Spoils Lingos' Gem - Lake County Captains
- Bats Slumber Early Again, Wake up too Late - Burlington Bees
- Dominant Road Trip Closes with Tight Win - Kane County Cougars
- River Bandits Walked-Off Once More in Cedar Rapids - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Walters Tosses 7 No-Hit Innings, Clinton Takes 6th Straight - Clinton LumberKings
- Wisconsinâ??s Home Season Ends with a Close Loss to Kane County - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Chiefs Fall Friday in Home Finale - Peoria Chiefs
- Snappers Bats Erupt To Break 5-Game Skid - Beloit Snappers
- Marcano Smacks Four Hits in Series Finale - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Sinkholes Close Home Slate with 1-0 Win in Front of 6,219 - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Outman Continues to Impress - Great Lakes Loons
- Wynne Strikes out 12 in Dragons 4-3 Victory - Dayton Dragons
- Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Seth Gray joins Kernels from Elizabethton - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Kane County Cougars Announce Schedule for 2020 Season - Kane County Cougars
- Dragons on TV Saturday and Sunday on Dayton's CW - Dayton Dragons
- Dragons Homestand Preview for August 31 - September 2 - Dayton Dragons
- Chiefs Announce 2020 Schedule - Peoria Chiefs
- Dragons Notes for Friday - Dayton Dragons
- TinCaps Game Notes: August 30 vs. South Bend (Game 135) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Kane County Cougars Clinch Spot in the Postseason - Kane County Cougars
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.