Grizzlies Shut out at Maverik Center
West Valley City, Utah - Mason McDonald stopped all 18 shots on goal and the Kansas City Mavericks got goals from 3 different players as they shut out the Utah Grizzlies 3-0 at Maverik Center on Grizzlies Fight Cancer Presented by Stadler.
The Grizzlies were wearing specialty jersey's that were auctioned off after the game. A total of $16,350 were raised in the auction. Proceeds will go to local charities.
A big crowd of 8674 at Maverik Center were energetic throughout the game, especially in the third period as Mitch Maxwell and Josh Anderson got into separate fights for the Grizzlies.
Kansas City got on the board first as Joey Sides scored a power play goal with 4:24 left in the first period. It was 4 seconds into the man advantage. The Mavericks outshot the Grizzlies 7-2 in the first period.
The second period saw Kansas City get goals from Greg Betzold and Jordan Klimek to take a 3-0 lead with 12 minutes remaining in the second period.
The loss ended a 4 game winning streak for Utah as well as an 8 game point streak. It was the first time the Grizzlies were shut out since December 1st at Rapid City, a game Utah lost 3-0.
The final game of the 3 game series is on Monday afternoon at 1 pm. It's a Maverik Monday, where tickets are buy one get one free when you show your Maverik Adventure Card at the Maverik Center box office.
3 stars of the game
1. Mason McDonald (KC) - 18 save shutout.
2. Joey Sides (KC) - 1 goal.
3. Greg Betzold (KC) - 1 goal.
Grizzlies notes: It was the first time in the last 8 games that the Grizzlies failed to score 4 goals in a game. Joe Cannata stopped 27 of 30 shots. ECHL Commissioner Ryan Crelin was in attendance for the game.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from February 17, 2019
- Indy Holds off Late Thunder Rally, Sweeps Doubleheader in Wichita - Indy Fuel
- Butcher's Shootout Winner Ends Wild Game in Fort Wayne - Wheeling Nailers
- Oilers Run Railers off the Tracks in Weekend Finale - Tulsa Oilers
- Americans Pick off Royals in OT, 5-4 - Reading Royals
- Comeback Falls Short in 7-5 Loss to Indy - Wichita Thunder
- Barnes Extends Point Streak to 13 Games in 6-3 Loss in Tulsa - Worcester Railers HC
- Early Deficit Sinks K-Wings on Sunday Evening, 5-3 - Kalamazoo Wings
- Swamp Rabbits Prevail in OT over Growlers - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Goals Galore for Solar Bears in 8-2 Romp over Monarchs - Orlando Solar Bears
- Glads Skate by Rays Sunday Afternoon - South Carolina Stingrays
- Cyclones Overcome Late Two-Goal Deficit, Win in Overtime - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Growlers Sink in Overtime to the Swamp Rabbits - Newfoundland Growlers
- Late Game Heroics Earn Glads 4-2 Comeback Win in South Carolina - Atlanta Gladiators
- Adirondack Ends Road Trip with Point in Cincinnati - Adirondack Thunder
- IceMen Trade Kessel to Maine - Jacksonville IceMen
- Monarchs Drop Final Game in Florida, 8-2 - Manchester Monarchs
- Mariners Acquire Kessel from Jacksonville - Maine Mariners
- ECHL Transactions - February 17 - ECHL
- ECHL Announces Suspension - ECHL
- Americans 10 Year Alumni Game Huge Success - Allen Americans
- Allen Americans Game Capsule - Allen Americans
- Game Preview: Solar Bears vs. Monarchs - Orlando Solar Bears
- Nailers at Komets Game Day Snap Shot, February 17 - Wheeling Nailers
- McKenzie Recalled by Providence - Atlanta Gladiators
- Game Day: Royals Look to Sweep Season Series at Allen - Reading Royals
- Game Day: Three-In-Three Weekend Continues in Toledo - Kalamazoo Wings
- Americans Losing Streak Reaches Three Games - Allen Americans
- Grizzlies Insider Adam Turner on 3-0 Loss to KC - Utah Grizzlies
- Grizzlies Shut out at Maverik Center - Utah Grizzlies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.