Growlers Sink in Overtime to the Swamp Rabbits
A strong first period for the Newfoundland Growlers wasn't enough to take 2 points in Greenville as they would go on to fall 5-4 in overtime.
Josh Kestner and Ryan Moore would open the scoring in the first period, giving the Growlers a 2-0 lead by the midway point of the first frame.
The Swamp Rabbits scored at 18 minutes into the first as Kamerin Nault beat Growlers goalie Eamon McAdam. Sam Babintsec responded 39 seconds later, banging in a one-timer after being left all alone in front of the net.
The second period was all Swamp Rabbits. Kamerin Nault, Johno May and Jake Bolton got on the scoreboard for the Rabbits. The goals were unanswered by the Growlers and would force the team to replace Eamon McAdam for Micheal Garteig, the first time in franchise history where a goalie change was made mid-game. McAdam had 12 saves on 16 shots.
The Growlers were not done as Derian Plouffe scored a shorthanded goal, on a breakaway, in the third period to force the game into overtime.
Adam Larkin, of the Swamp Rabbits, scored the overtime winning goal at the mid-way point of the extra frame.
Brady Ferguson and Sam Jardine were recalled to the Toronto Marlies prior to the game
Referee Jarred Mitrano missed the game due to illness and the game was called by linesmen Ben Shiley and Scott Senger.
The three stars were 3 - J. May (GRN), 2 - K. Nault (GRN) and 1 - A. Larkin (GRN)
The Newfoundland Growlers road trip continues Saturday in Brampton as the Growlers take on the Beast, fans can tune in live via Mixlr with Chris Ballard by visiting mixlr.com/nlgrowers.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from February 17, 2019
- Indy Holds off Late Thunder Rally, Sweeps Doubleheader in Wichita - Indy Fuel
- Butcher's Shootout Winner Ends Wild Game in Fort Wayne - Wheeling Nailers
- Oilers Run Railers off the Tracks in Weekend Finale - Tulsa Oilers
- Americans Pick off Royals in OT, 5-4 - Reading Royals
- Comeback Falls Short in 7-5 Loss to Indy - Wichita Thunder
- Barnes Extends Point Streak to 13 Games in 6-3 Loss in Tulsa - Worcester Railers HC
- Early Deficit Sinks K-Wings on Sunday Evening, 5-3 - Kalamazoo Wings
- Swamp Rabbits Prevail in OT over Growlers - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Goals Galore for Solar Bears in 8-2 Romp over Monarchs - Orlando Solar Bears
- Glads Skate by Rays Sunday Afternoon - South Carolina Stingrays
- Cyclones Overcome Late Two-Goal Deficit, Win in Overtime - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Growlers Sink in Overtime to the Swamp Rabbits - Newfoundland Growlers
- Late Game Heroics Earn Glads 4-2 Comeback Win in South Carolina - Atlanta Gladiators
- Adirondack Ends Road Trip with Point in Cincinnati - Adirondack Thunder
- IceMen Trade Kessel to Maine - Jacksonville IceMen
- Monarchs Drop Final Game in Florida, 8-2 - Manchester Monarchs
- Mariners Acquire Kessel from Jacksonville - Maine Mariners
- ECHL Transactions - February 17 - ECHL
- ECHL Announces Suspension - ECHL
- Americans 10 Year Alumni Game Huge Success - Allen Americans
- Allen Americans Game Capsule - Allen Americans
- Game Preview: Solar Bears vs. Monarchs - Orlando Solar Bears
- Nailers at Komets Game Day Snap Shot, February 17 - Wheeling Nailers
- McKenzie Recalled by Providence - Atlanta Gladiators
- Game Day: Royals Look to Sweep Season Series at Allen - Reading Royals
- Game Day: Three-In-Three Weekend Continues in Toledo - Kalamazoo Wings
- Americans Losing Streak Reaches Three Games - Allen Americans
- Grizzlies Insider Adam Turner on 3-0 Loss to KC - Utah Grizzlies
- Grizzlies Shut out at Maverik Center - Utah Grizzlies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.