Late Game Heroics Earn Glads 4-2 Comeback Win in South Carolina
North Charleston, SC - The Atlanta Gladiators began a five-game road trip on Sunday afternoon with a divisional matchup against the South Carolina Stingrays at the North Charleston Coliseum. Justin MacDonald powered the offense for the Glads, with a goal and two assists, giving the visitors their second victory in a row after scoring three late goals in the third.
The Gladiators got off to a quick start by taking a 1-0 lead just 1:36 into the opening frame. After the puck was knocked loose in the corner, MacDonald picked it up to the left of the net and then skated across the crease where he backhanded a shot over the glove of South Carolina goalie, Jeff Jakaitis. The tally was the Ontario native's 15th goal of the season.
South Carolina responded at the 11:04 mark of the first period to tie the game at 1-1. Cameron Bakker took control of the puck in his defensive zone and chipped it out to Grant Besse near the far blue-line. The former Anaheim Ducks draft pick then skated the puck into the zone where he stickhandled past a defender and wristed a backhand shot into the far corner for his 22nd goal on the year.
After neither team found the back of the net in the middle frame, South Carolina struck at the 13:22 mark of the third to take a 2-1 lead. Besse and Jonathan Charbonneau skated down the ice and worked on a give-and-go before they dropped it back to Mike Chen. The trailing defender ripped a shot past Michael Bitzer for his third of the year.
Just over a minute of playing time later, the Gladiators responded to tie the game 2-2. Zach Malatesta kept the puck in the zone at the point and sent a pass to MacDonald, who then skated towards the net and took a shot. Filip Pyrochta then found the rebound and poked the puck into the goal for his second of the season.
The visitors then retook the lead with a power play goal at the 16:41 mark of the third period. After Jakaitis made a pad save on a shot from MacDonald, Nick Bligh controlled the rebound to the left of the net and pushed in a shot for his team-leading 16th of the year. Derek Nesbitt added the secondary assist in his 900th career pro game on the late go-ahead goal.
Atlanta would seal the victory with an empty net goal from Joel Messner from his own zone. Michael Bitzer made key saves down the stretch to earn his third-straight win between the pipes for the Glads. With the two points, Atlanta moves to within five points of the final playoff spot in the South Division with games in hand on all team's ahead of them in the standings.
Up next, the Gladiators will continue their road trip as they travel west to South Dakota for three games against the Rapid City Rush. The first matchup between the two teams is Wednesday, February 20th at 9:05 pm EST at the Rushmore Plaza Civic Center; the Glads first-ever trip to the Black Hills.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from February 17, 2019
- Indy Holds off Late Thunder Rally, Sweeps Doubleheader in Wichita - Indy Fuel
- Butcher's Shootout Winner Ends Wild Game in Fort Wayne - Wheeling Nailers
- Oilers Run Railers off the Tracks in Weekend Finale - Tulsa Oilers
- Americans Pick off Royals in OT, 5-4 - Reading Royals
- Comeback Falls Short in 7-5 Loss to Indy - Wichita Thunder
- Barnes Extends Point Streak to 13 Games in 6-3 Loss in Tulsa - Worcester Railers HC
- Early Deficit Sinks K-Wings on Sunday Evening, 5-3 - Kalamazoo Wings
- Swamp Rabbits Prevail in OT over Growlers - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Goals Galore for Solar Bears in 8-2 Romp over Monarchs - Orlando Solar Bears
- Glads Skate by Rays Sunday Afternoon - South Carolina Stingrays
- Cyclones Overcome Late Two-Goal Deficit, Win in Overtime - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Growlers Sink in Overtime to the Swamp Rabbits - Newfoundland Growlers
- Late Game Heroics Earn Glads 4-2 Comeback Win in South Carolina - Atlanta Gladiators
- Adirondack Ends Road Trip with Point in Cincinnati - Adirondack Thunder
- IceMen Trade Kessel to Maine - Jacksonville IceMen
- Monarchs Drop Final Game in Florida, 8-2 - Manchester Monarchs
- Mariners Acquire Kessel from Jacksonville - Maine Mariners
- ECHL Transactions - February 17 - ECHL
- ECHL Announces Suspension - ECHL
- Americans 10 Year Alumni Game Huge Success - Allen Americans
- Allen Americans Game Capsule - Allen Americans
- Game Preview: Solar Bears vs. Monarchs - Orlando Solar Bears
- Nailers at Komets Game Day Snap Shot, February 17 - Wheeling Nailers
- McKenzie Recalled by Providence - Atlanta Gladiators
- Game Day: Royals Look to Sweep Season Series at Allen - Reading Royals
- Game Day: Three-In-Three Weekend Continues in Toledo - Kalamazoo Wings
- Americans Losing Streak Reaches Three Games - Allen Americans
- Grizzlies Insider Adam Turner on 3-0 Loss to KC - Utah Grizzlies
- Grizzlies Shut out at Maverik Center - Utah Grizzlies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Atlanta Gladiators Stories
- Atlanta Improves Point Streak to Five Games with 2-1 Home Win over the Admirals
- Atlanta Earns Huge Point as They Fall to Everblades in Shootout
- Atlanta Erases Three Goal Deficit and Takes Win in Epic 11-Round Shootout
- Former NHLer Jared Ross Re-Signs with Atlanta
- Gladiators and Georgia Hispanic Chamber of Commerce to Host MLS VIP Experience