Early Deficit Sinks K-Wings on Sunday Evening, 5-3
Toledo, OH. - A three-goal deficit early was too much to overcome as the K-Wings fell 5-3 on Sunday evening in Toledo.
Matiss Kivlenieks made his Kalamazoo debut stopping 21 of 23 shots in relief, while suffering the loss. Kyle Thomas pushed his point-streak to 13 games, while Brendan Bradley ran his to nine-games.
A natural hat trick from Dylan Sadowy in the opening period let the Walleye jump out to the early 3-0 lead before the K-Wings got on the board. Two of Sadowy's tallies came on the man-advantage putting Toledo up 3-0 by the 14:08 mark of the opening period. Toledo's third goal of the night ended Jake Hildebrand's night, as the netminder stopped 12 of 15 shots faced before giving way to Matiss Kivlenieks. With the Walleye on the power play again it was the K-Wings that capitalized with less than a minute to go. On a break-away Kyle Thomas tucked the puck between the legs of Pat Nagle, getting the K-Wings on the board with 12.7 seconds left in the opening frame.
Kalamazoo drew within one just a few minutes into the second period. Eric Kattleus pulled up just inside the blue line and sent a pass right to the tape of Kyle Blaney who tapped it past Pat Nagle into the back of the net, pulling Kalamazoo within one. Toledo pushed the lead back to two goals quickly after though. Matt Register's slap shot from the point just over a minute later gave the Walleye a 4-2 lead 4:54 into the middle frame.
In the third it was the K-Wing power play that brought the team within one once again. Eric Kattelus unleashed a slap shot from straight away that blew past Nagle, pulling the score to 4-3. On a power play in the last two minutes of regulation AJ Jenks iced the win for the Walleye, netting a power play tally to cap off the scoring at 5-3. Kalamazoo saw their eight-game point streak snapped with the defeat.
Matiss Kivlenieks stopped 21 of 23 shots faced, making his first appearance for Kalamazoo in relief of Jake Hildebrand. Pat Nagle claimed the victory, stopping 25 of 28 shots.
Kalamazoo is back in action tomorrow afternoon at 2:00pm as they take on the Brampton Beast to conclude a three-in-three.
Kalamazoo Wings single game and half season tickets are available now! More information can be gathered at www.kwings.com.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from February 17, 2019
- Indy Holds off Late Thunder Rally, Sweeps Doubleheader in Wichita - Indy Fuel
- Butcher's Shootout Winner Ends Wild Game in Fort Wayne - Wheeling Nailers
- Oilers Run Railers off the Tracks in Weekend Finale - Tulsa Oilers
- Americans Pick off Royals in OT, 5-4 - Reading Royals
- Comeback Falls Short in 7-5 Loss to Indy - Wichita Thunder
- Barnes Extends Point Streak to 13 Games in 6-3 Loss in Tulsa - Worcester Railers HC
- Early Deficit Sinks K-Wings on Sunday Evening, 5-3 - Kalamazoo Wings
- Swamp Rabbits Prevail in OT over Growlers - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Goals Galore for Solar Bears in 8-2 Romp over Monarchs - Orlando Solar Bears
- Glads Skate by Rays Sunday Afternoon - South Carolina Stingrays
- Cyclones Overcome Late Two-Goal Deficit, Win in Overtime - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Growlers Sink in Overtime to the Swamp Rabbits - Newfoundland Growlers
- Late Game Heroics Earn Glads 4-2 Comeback Win in South Carolina - Atlanta Gladiators
- Adirondack Ends Road Trip with Point in Cincinnati - Adirondack Thunder
- IceMen Trade Kessel to Maine - Jacksonville IceMen
- Monarchs Drop Final Game in Florida, 8-2 - Manchester Monarchs
- Mariners Acquire Kessel from Jacksonville - Maine Mariners
- ECHL Transactions - February 17 - ECHL
- ECHL Announces Suspension - ECHL
- Americans 10 Year Alumni Game Huge Success - Allen Americans
- Allen Americans Game Capsule - Allen Americans
- Game Preview: Solar Bears vs. Monarchs - Orlando Solar Bears
- Nailers at Komets Game Day Snap Shot, February 17 - Wheeling Nailers
- McKenzie Recalled by Providence - Atlanta Gladiators
- Game Day: Royals Look to Sweep Season Series at Allen - Reading Royals
- Game Day: Three-In-Three Weekend Continues in Toledo - Kalamazoo Wings
- Americans Losing Streak Reaches Three Games - Allen Americans
- Grizzlies Insider Adam Turner on 3-0 Loss to KC - Utah Grizzlies
- Grizzlies Shut out at Maverik Center - Utah Grizzlies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Kalamazoo Wings Stories
- Power Play Scores for Third Straight Game as K-Wings Fall 4-1
- Game Day: Playoff Hockey Returns to Wings Event Center
- Wings Weekly: Playoff Hockey at Wings Event Center, Anselmini Reassigned
- Hildebrand Stops 31 as K-Wings Blank Cyclones, Even Series
- Game Day: Game Two Saturday Night in Cincy