Monarchs Drop Final Game in Florida, 8-2
ORLANDO, Fla. - The Manchester Monarchs allowed eight goals for the first time this season and fell to the Orlando Solar Bears, 8-2, Sunday afternoon at the Amway Center.
The Monarchs (27-24-1-1) fell into a 5-0 hole and dropped their final game of the road trip in Florida, 8-2, to the Solar Bears (27-19-3-0).
Orlando got on the board first at 2:04 of the first period on the second goal of the season by Akim Aliu. Aliu walked along the blue line and fired a shot through traffic, that found its way past Monarchs goaltender, Charles Williams, to make the score, 1-0.
The Solar Bears extended their lead at 18:37 of the first period on the seventh goal of the season by Alex Schoenborn. Aliu wristed a shot from the right point, that was tipped at the bottom of the circle by Schoenborn, past Williams, making the score, 2-0.
The Solar Bears added to their lead at 4:18 of the second period on the eighth goal of the season by Corey Kalk. Matthew Spencer wrapped behind the Monarchs net and centered a pass, where Kalk smacked a shot inside the post, to make the score, 3-0.
Orlando made it a 4-0 game at 14:43 of the second period on the first goal of the season by Jackson Playfair. Tayler Thompson sent a pass from the left circle to Playfair in the right circle, where he lifted a shot over Williams' shoulder, which resulted in the end of his afternoon.
Orlando continued their scoring at 18:03 of the second period on the second goal of the game and third of the season for Aliu, when he scored on a breakaway against Monarchs goaltender, Cole Kehler, to make the score, 5-0.
Manchester got on the board at 19:47 of the second period on a power-play goal by Nic Pierog, netting his 23rd goal of the year. Jack Nevins carried the puck over the blue line and sent a pass to Pierog at the right circle, where he wristed a shot past Solar Bears goaltender, Martin Ouellette, making the score, 5-1.
Orlando's Thompson made it 6-1 at 4:39 of the third period, scoring his fifth goal of the season, when he batted a rebound home, past Kehler's glove, to make the score, 6-1.
The Solar Bears added a seventh tally at 8:43 of the third period on the fourth goal of the season by Mike Robinson, and an eighth at 14:24 of the third for Zach Frye, notching his first of the year, making the score, 8-1.
Manchester's Tony Cameranesi would add a power-play goal at 19:41 of the third, his 17th of the season, to finish the scoring, 8-2, in favor of the Solar Bears.
The Monarchs return to action Wednesday, February 20 at 7 p.m., when they take on the Worcester Railers at SNHU Arena. For tickets, Season Memberships and group tickets, please contact the Monarchs front office at 603-626-7825.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from February 17, 2019
- Indy Holds off Late Thunder Rally, Sweeps Doubleheader in Wichita - Indy Fuel
- Butcher's Shootout Winner Ends Wild Game in Fort Wayne - Wheeling Nailers
- Oilers Run Railers off the Tracks in Weekend Finale - Tulsa Oilers
- Americans Pick off Royals in OT, 5-4 - Reading Royals
- Comeback Falls Short in 7-5 Loss to Indy - Wichita Thunder
- Barnes Extends Point Streak to 13 Games in 6-3 Loss in Tulsa - Worcester Railers HC
- Early Deficit Sinks K-Wings on Sunday Evening, 5-3 - Kalamazoo Wings
- Swamp Rabbits Prevail in OT over Growlers - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Goals Galore for Solar Bears in 8-2 Romp over Monarchs - Orlando Solar Bears
- Glads Skate by Rays Sunday Afternoon - South Carolina Stingrays
- Cyclones Overcome Late Two-Goal Deficit, Win in Overtime - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Growlers Sink in Overtime to the Swamp Rabbits - Newfoundland Growlers
- Late Game Heroics Earn Glads 4-2 Comeback Win in South Carolina - Atlanta Gladiators
- Adirondack Ends Road Trip with Point in Cincinnati - Adirondack Thunder
- IceMen Trade Kessel to Maine - Jacksonville IceMen
- Monarchs Drop Final Game in Florida, 8-2 - Manchester Monarchs
- Mariners Acquire Kessel from Jacksonville - Maine Mariners
- ECHL Transactions - February 17 - ECHL
- ECHL Announces Suspension - ECHL
- Americans 10 Year Alumni Game Huge Success - Allen Americans
- Allen Americans Game Capsule - Allen Americans
- Game Preview: Solar Bears vs. Monarchs - Orlando Solar Bears
- Nailers at Komets Game Day Snap Shot, February 17 - Wheeling Nailers
- McKenzie Recalled by Providence - Atlanta Gladiators
- Game Day: Royals Look to Sweep Season Series at Allen - Reading Royals
- Game Day: Three-In-Three Weekend Continues in Toledo - Kalamazoo Wings
- Americans Losing Streak Reaches Three Games - Allen Americans
- Grizzlies Insider Adam Turner on 3-0 Loss to KC - Utah Grizzlies
- Grizzlies Shut out at Maverik Center - Utah Grizzlies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.