Americans Losing Streak Reaches Three Games
Allen, Texas - The Allen Americans, ECHL affiliate of the Minnesota Wild, lost their third game in a row, dropping a 5-3 decision to the Reading Royals on Saturday night at Allen Event Center.
For the second game in a row, the third period was the deciding factor in the hockey game. Reading outscored the Americans 3-1 in the final frame, and outshot Allen 14 to 4. Josh Atkinson scored his first of the season shorthanded to cut the lead to 5-3, but the Royals would go on to win the game and extend the Americans losing streak to three.
"It was a repeat of last night," said Americans forward Spencer Asuchak. "We started out slow and then picked up our game in the second period. It was pretty frustrating that we couldn't take that same energy into the third"
With the loss, the Americans are now 16 points behind fourth place Kansas City. The Mavericks shutout Utah on Saturday night 3-0. KC has played six fewer games than the Americans.
The Americans and Royals close out their two-game series on Sunday afternoon at 4:05 pm.
In the first-ever Allen Americans Alumni Game, Team Red defeated Team White by a score of 10 to 7. Justin Bowers and Tobias Whelan each had two goals for Team White. Daryl Bootland and Jarret Lukin were the winning coaches.
Americans Next Home Game:
Saturday,February 17th vs. Reading
Time: 4:05 pm CST
Venue: Allen Event Center
Images from this story
Allen Americans vs. the Reading Royals
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from February 17, 2019
- Indy Holds off Late Thunder Rally, Sweeps Doubleheader in Wichita - Indy Fuel
- Butcher's Shootout Winner Ends Wild Game in Fort Wayne - Wheeling Nailers
- Oilers Run Railers off the Tracks in Weekend Finale - Tulsa Oilers
- Americans Pick off Royals in OT, 5-4 - Reading Royals
- Comeback Falls Short in 7-5 Loss to Indy - Wichita Thunder
- Barnes Extends Point Streak to 13 Games in 6-3 Loss in Tulsa - Worcester Railers HC
- Early Deficit Sinks K-Wings on Sunday Evening, 5-3 - Kalamazoo Wings
- Swamp Rabbits Prevail in OT over Growlers - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Goals Galore for Solar Bears in 8-2 Romp over Monarchs - Orlando Solar Bears
- Glads Skate by Rays Sunday Afternoon - South Carolina Stingrays
- Cyclones Overcome Late Two-Goal Deficit, Win in Overtime - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Growlers Sink in Overtime to the Swamp Rabbits - Newfoundland Growlers
- Late Game Heroics Earn Glads 4-2 Comeback Win in South Carolina - Atlanta Gladiators
- Adirondack Ends Road Trip with Point in Cincinnati - Adirondack Thunder
- IceMen Trade Kessel to Maine - Jacksonville IceMen
- Monarchs Drop Final Game in Florida, 8-2 - Manchester Monarchs
- Mariners Acquire Kessel from Jacksonville - Maine Mariners
- ECHL Transactions - February 17 - ECHL
- ECHL Announces Suspension - ECHL
- Americans 10 Year Alumni Game Huge Success - Allen Americans
- Allen Americans Game Capsule - Allen Americans
- Game Preview: Solar Bears vs. Monarchs - Orlando Solar Bears
- Nailers at Komets Game Day Snap Shot, February 17 - Wheeling Nailers
- McKenzie Recalled by Providence - Atlanta Gladiators
- Game Day: Royals Look to Sweep Season Series at Allen - Reading Royals
- Game Day: Three-In-Three Weekend Continues in Toledo - Kalamazoo Wings
- Americans Losing Streak Reaches Three Games - Allen Americans
- Grizzlies Insider Adam Turner on 3-0 Loss to KC - Utah Grizzlies
- Grizzlies Shut out at Maverik Center - Utah Grizzlies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.