Green Acres Elementary School Winning with Wellness/Get Moving Manchester Champion
MANCHESTER, NH - The Monarchs Care Foundation, the charitable arm of the Manchester Monarchs, in partnership with the Harvard Pilgrim Health Care Foundation, the Foundation for Healthy Communities, and Catholic Medical Center are proud to announce that Green Acres Elementary School is the 2014 Winning With Wellness/Get Moving Manchester champion.
The Winning With Wellness/Get Moving Manchester program visited schools throughout the Manchester School District sharing their message with fourth and fifth graders. The four-week program featured two Monarchs players talking with students and teaching them the 5-2-1-0 Healthy NH guidelines through the Winning With Wellness/Get Moving Manchester program.
5 - Eat at least five servings of fruits and vegetables a day.
2 - Cut back watching television and playing video games to two hours or less a day.
1 - Participate in at least one hour of moderate to vigorous physical activity every day.
0 - Restrict soda and sugar-sweetened sports and fruit drinks. Instead, drink water and 3-4 servings of fat-free, skim or 1% milk per day.
In addition, an interactive video was shown to the students with additional players talking about eating healthy and exercising.
The program impacted nearly 1,000 students. Each student walked away with the knowledge of leading a healthy lifestyle and were given goal trackers to show their progress of eating and exercising over the four weeks of the program, an incentive each week and a pedometer. Individual winners from each elementary school won the chance to be benchwarmers at a Monarchs game. The individual winners included Jaliz Santiago and Tyler Ryan from Gossler Elementary School, Lilly Tague and Evan Drake from Webster Elementary School, Olivia Canots and Erin Ahmetovic from Weston Elementary School, Riley McNamara and Damien Ouellet from Parker Varney Elementary School, Emily Hobendal and Madeline Burke from Northwest Elementary School, Jake Walker and Alyssa Baron from Jewett Elementary School, and Sam Smith and Colin Brodeur from Green Acres Elementary School.
Green Acres Elementary School will receive their championship plaque at an assembly at 1:30 p.m. on Tuesday, April 15. President of Green Acres Elementary School Rick Norton, Monarchs President Darren Abbott, Harvard Pilgrim Health Care of New England's Derek Gardner, Manchester Health Department Deputy Public Health Director Anna Thomas, and Superintendent of Schools Debra Livingston will join Max in presenting Green Acres Elementary School with the Winning With Wellness/Get Moving Manchester Championship plaque.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from April 15, 2014
- Monsters Fall to Hamilton 2-1 - Cleveland Monsters
- Bulldogs Edge Monsters 2-1 - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Shayne Gostisbehere Signs ATO with Phantoms - Adirondack Phantoms
- Florida Panthers Win NHL Draft Lottery - San Antonio Rampage
- Kings Recall Vey - Manchester Monarchs
- Florida Panthers Jimmy Hayes, Drew Shore & Vincent Trocheck to Represent USA at 2014 World Champions - San Antonio Rampage
- B-Sens Weekly - Binghamton Senators
- Texas Stars Sign Right Wing Branden Troock to ATO - Texas Stars
- Admiral Playoff Tickets on Sale Now - Milwaukee Admirals
- Rampage Reassign Josh McFadden to Cincinnati - San Antonio Rampage
- Athanasiou, Backman and Janmark to Grand Rapids - Grand Rapids Griffins
- San Antonio Rampage Weekly Update - San Antonio Rampage
- Friday Is Fan Appreciation Night - Utica Comets
- Flames Discontinue AHL Operations in Abbotsford - Abbotsford Heat
- Admirals to Hold Fan Appreciation Night on Friday - Milwaukee Admirals
- Penguins Weekly - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Stars Weekly (Week 29) - Texas Takes Five-Of-Six Points to Clinch Top Seed in Western Conference - Texas Stars
- Job Fair and Boston Bruins Alumni Doubleheader Highlight Fan Appreciation Weekend - Worcester Sharks
- Lake Erie Monsters on SportsTime Ohio this Saturday, April 19th - Cleveland Monsters
- Rock Report - St. John's IceCaps
- American Hockey League Announces Suspensions - AHL
- B-Sens Sign Two to ATOs - Binghamton Senators
- Wolves Sign Zach Pochiro; Release Caissy - Chicago Wolves
- Norfolk Admirals Weekly - Norfolk Admirals
- Grand Rapids' Jeff Blashill Voted AHL's Outstanding Coach for 2013-14 - AHL
- Blashill Named AHL Coach of the Year - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Albany Devils to Recognize Union College Men's Hockey Team Saturday - Albany Devils
- Over $20,000 In Prizes To Be Given Away On Bulldogs' Fan Appreciation Night - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Green Acres Elementary School Winning with Wellness/Get Moving Manchester Champion - Manchester Monarchs
- Jarnkrok Reassigned to Milwaukee - Milwaukee Admirals
- April 19th Pirates Game vs. St. John's Moved to Saco - St. John's IceCaps
- April 19th Pirates Game vs. St. John's Moved to Saco - Portland Pirates
- Coyotes Assign Four Players to Portland - Portland Pirates
- Jeremy Smith Recalled by Columbus Blue Jackets - Springfield Falcons
- Rangers Recall J.T. Miller from Hartford - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Penguins Playoff Tickets Go on Sale April 16th - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Two Players Rejoin Sound Tigers, Three Head to Stockton - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Rampage to Host Fan Appreciation Night on Friday - San Antonio Rampage
- Seven Players Reassigned to Amerks from Sabres - Rochester Americans
- Penguins Sign Three to ATOs - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.