Monsters Fall to Hamilton 2-1
Nick Sorkin's third period goal was the eventual game-winner for the visiting Hamilton Bulldogs, who handed the Lake Erie Monsters (30-33-1-10) a 2-1 loss Tuesday night at Quicken Loans Arena. The game marked the 10th and final meeting of the season between the Monsters and Bulldogs (33-34-1-7). Andrew Agozzino scored the lone goal for the Monsters, who conclude the season with Friday's game in Grand Rapids and Saturday's home game against the Griffins.
Following a scoreless first period, Hamilton's Joonas Nattinen netted the game's first goal when he fired a high shot past Monsters goalie Calvin Pickard after a lengthy individual stickhandling effort. Nattinen's goal at 10:18 of the second period was answered by Andrew Agozzino's power play goal, tying the game for the Monsters at 13:30 of the second period. Mark Olver wristed a shot from the center point that was tipped by Agozzino for his 16th goal of the season. Colin Smith also assisted on Agozzino's second power play goal in as many games.
Sorkin tipped a Sven Andrighetto wrist shot from the high slot at 2:34 of the third period to put Hamilton on top for good, making the score 2-1.
Pickard stopped 34 of 36 shots for the Monsters; his individual record is now 15-18-7. Robert Mayer is 10-14-4 after stopping 30 of 31 Monsters shots.
The Monsters visit Grand Rapids Friday at 7:00 PM, and the game airs live on ESPN 850 WKNR.
NOTES: With the loss, the Monsters end the 10-game season series against Hamilton with a 4-4-0-2 record... The Monsters are 2-4-1-1 in April, 16-12-1-7 against the North Division, and 19-13-1-4 on home ice this season... The game saw five sets of fighting majors assessed... Agozzino's 16 goals lead the team... Olver's 33 assists on the season lead the Monsters... The Monsters were 1-2 on the power play, and Hamilton was 0-2.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from April 15, 2014
- Monsters Fall to Hamilton 2-1 - Cleveland Monsters
- Bulldogs Edge Monsters 2-1 - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Shayne Gostisbehere Signs ATO with Phantoms - Adirondack Phantoms
- Florida Panthers Win NHL Draft Lottery - San Antonio Rampage
- Kings Recall Vey - Manchester Monarchs
- Florida Panthers Jimmy Hayes, Drew Shore & Vincent Trocheck to Represent USA at 2014 World Champions - San Antonio Rampage
- B-Sens Weekly - Binghamton Senators
- Texas Stars Sign Right Wing Branden Troock to ATO - Texas Stars
- Admiral Playoff Tickets on Sale Now - Milwaukee Admirals
- Rampage Reassign Josh McFadden to Cincinnati - San Antonio Rampage
- Athanasiou, Backman and Janmark to Grand Rapids - Grand Rapids Griffins
- San Antonio Rampage Weekly Update - San Antonio Rampage
- Friday Is Fan Appreciation Night - Utica Comets
- Flames Discontinue AHL Operations in Abbotsford - Abbotsford Heat
- Admirals to Hold Fan Appreciation Night on Friday - Milwaukee Admirals
- Penguins Weekly - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Stars Weekly (Week 29) - Texas Takes Five-Of-Six Points to Clinch Top Seed in Western Conference - Texas Stars
- Job Fair and Boston Bruins Alumni Doubleheader Highlight Fan Appreciation Weekend - Worcester Sharks
- Lake Erie Monsters on SportsTime Ohio this Saturday, April 19th - Cleveland Monsters
- Rock Report - St. John's IceCaps
- American Hockey League Announces Suspensions - AHL
- B-Sens Sign Two to ATOs - Binghamton Senators
- Wolves Sign Zach Pochiro; Release Caissy - Chicago Wolves
- Norfolk Admirals Weekly - Norfolk Admirals
- Grand Rapids' Jeff Blashill Voted AHL's Outstanding Coach for 2013-14 - AHL
- Blashill Named AHL Coach of the Year - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Albany Devils to Recognize Union College Men's Hockey Team Saturday - Albany Devils
- Over $20,000 In Prizes To Be Given Away On Bulldogs' Fan Appreciation Night - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Green Acres Elementary School Winning with Wellness/Get Moving Manchester Champion - Manchester Monarchs
- Jarnkrok Reassigned to Milwaukee - Milwaukee Admirals
- April 19th Pirates Game vs. St. John's Moved to Saco - St. John's IceCaps
- April 19th Pirates Game vs. St. John's Moved to Saco - Portland Pirates
- Coyotes Assign Four Players to Portland - Portland Pirates
- Jeremy Smith Recalled by Columbus Blue Jackets - Springfield Falcons
- Rangers Recall J.T. Miller from Hartford - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Penguins Playoff Tickets Go on Sale April 16th - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Two Players Rejoin Sound Tigers, Three Head to Stockton - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Rampage to Host Fan Appreciation Night on Friday - San Antonio Rampage
- Seven Players Reassigned to Amerks from Sabres - Rochester Americans
- Penguins Sign Three to ATOs - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.