Athanasiou, Backman and Janmark to Grand Rapids
GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. - The Detroit Red Wings on Tuesday reassigned left wing Andreas Athanasiou and defenseman Mattias Backman to the Grand Rapids Griffins. In addition, the Griffins signed center Mattias Janmark to an amateur tryout.
Athanasiou, 19, earned 95 points (49-46 - 95) and 52 penalty minutes in 66 games with the Ontario Hockey League's Barrie Colts this season, while posting 12 points (3-9 - 12) in 11 games with the team during the 2014 OHL Playoffs. The Woodbridge, Ontario, native tallied 59 points (33-26 - 59) and 43 PIM with the London Knights from 2010-12, before being traded to Barrie for a second-round pick in the 2013 OHL Priority Selection, a third-round pick in the 2014 OHL Priority Selection and a conditional second-round pick in the 2015 OHL Priority Selection.
Detroit's fourth choice (110th overall) in the 2012 NHL Entry Draft, Athanasiou has notched a total of 162 points (78-84 - 162) and 82 PIM in 132 games since joining the Colts. The 6-foot-2, 200-pound Athanasiou was named the OHL Player of the Week for the week ending Feb. 16 after leading the league with eight points (6-2 - 8) in four games and owning a plus-four rating.
A native of Linkoping, Sweden, Backman collected 21 points (6-15 - 21), 16 PIM and a plus-25 rating in 54 games with the Swedish Hockey League's Linkopings Hockey Club during the 2013-14 campaign. Detroit's fifth choice (146th overall) in the 2011 NHL Entry Draft, Backman potted seven points (0-7 - 7), six penalty minutes and a plus-four rating in 13 playoff games with Linkopings this season. In 2012, the 6-foot-2, 176-pound defenseman won a gold medal with Sweden at the IIHF World Junior Championship.
A native of Danderyd, Sweden, Janmark was Detroit's third choice (79th overall) in the 2013 NHL Entry Draft. Janmark has played three seasons with the SHL's AIK from 2011-14, earning 61 points (32-29 - 61) and 90 penalty minutes in 118 games. The 21-year-old Janmark ranked among AIK leaders with 30 points (1st), 18 goals (1st), 12 assists (T6th) and 56 PIM (1st) during the 2013-14 season.
The Griffins will return to Van Andel Arena on Friday to battle the Lake Erie Monsters in their regular season home finale, before closing out the campaign with a rematch against the Monsters at Quicken Loans Arena on Saturday. Both games will begin at 7 p.m.
Fans can secure their full-season, select-season or group ticket packages by calling (616) 774-4585 ext. 2. Single-game tickets for all home games are now available for purchase at all Star Tickets locations, including The Zone, online through griffinshockey.com, or by phone through Star Tickets at (800) 585-3737.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from April 15, 2014
- Monsters Fall to Hamilton 2-1 - Cleveland Monsters
- Bulldogs Edge Monsters 2-1 - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Shayne Gostisbehere Signs ATO with Phantoms - Adirondack Phantoms
- Florida Panthers Win NHL Draft Lottery - San Antonio Rampage
- Kings Recall Vey - Manchester Monarchs
- Florida Panthers Jimmy Hayes, Drew Shore & Vincent Trocheck to Represent USA at 2014 World Champions - San Antonio Rampage
- B-Sens Weekly - Binghamton Senators
- Texas Stars Sign Right Wing Branden Troock to ATO - Texas Stars
- Admiral Playoff Tickets on Sale Now - Milwaukee Admirals
- Rampage Reassign Josh McFadden to Cincinnati - San Antonio Rampage
- Athanasiou, Backman and Janmark to Grand Rapids - Grand Rapids Griffins
- San Antonio Rampage Weekly Update - San Antonio Rampage
- Friday Is Fan Appreciation Night - Utica Comets
- Flames Discontinue AHL Operations in Abbotsford - Abbotsford Heat
- Admirals to Hold Fan Appreciation Night on Friday - Milwaukee Admirals
- Penguins Weekly - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Stars Weekly (Week 29) - Texas Takes Five-Of-Six Points to Clinch Top Seed in Western Conference - Texas Stars
- Job Fair and Boston Bruins Alumni Doubleheader Highlight Fan Appreciation Weekend - Worcester Sharks
- Lake Erie Monsters on SportsTime Ohio this Saturday, April 19th - Cleveland Monsters
- Rock Report - St. John's IceCaps
- American Hockey League Announces Suspensions - AHL
- B-Sens Sign Two to ATOs - Binghamton Senators
- Wolves Sign Zach Pochiro; Release Caissy - Chicago Wolves
- Norfolk Admirals Weekly - Norfolk Admirals
- Grand Rapids' Jeff Blashill Voted AHL's Outstanding Coach for 2013-14 - AHL
- Blashill Named AHL Coach of the Year - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Albany Devils to Recognize Union College Men's Hockey Team Saturday - Albany Devils
- Over $20,000 In Prizes To Be Given Away On Bulldogs' Fan Appreciation Night - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Green Acres Elementary School Winning with Wellness/Get Moving Manchester Champion - Manchester Monarchs
- Jarnkrok Reassigned to Milwaukee - Milwaukee Admirals
- April 19th Pirates Game vs. St. John's Moved to Saco - St. John's IceCaps
- April 19th Pirates Game vs. St. John's Moved to Saco - Portland Pirates
- Coyotes Assign Four Players to Portland - Portland Pirates
- Jeremy Smith Recalled by Columbus Blue Jackets - Springfield Falcons
- Rangers Recall J.T. Miller from Hartford - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Penguins Playoff Tickets Go on Sale April 16th - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Two Players Rejoin Sound Tigers, Three Head to Stockton - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Rampage to Host Fan Appreciation Night on Friday - San Antonio Rampage
- Seven Players Reassigned to Amerks from Sabres - Rochester Americans
- Penguins Sign Three to ATOs - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.