Glads Go Back for Fourths in Turkey Day Turnabout
DULUTH, GA - The Atlanta Gladiators rallied from an early 2-0 deficit to defeat the Norfolk Admirals 4-2 in their first meeting with the EC South Division rival on Wednesday night. Tommy Marchin had another stellar night, gathering points in the seventh contest in a row, to lead Atlanta to their fourth straight victory on the eve of Thanksgiving.
Coming to Infinite Energy Arena after winning three of their last four games, the visiting Admirals had a noticeable pep in their step. They notched a 4-2 win Tuesday night in Orlando and, despite being on the second night of a back-to-back, punched the Gladiators in the mouth in the first twenty minutes. D Brayden Sherbinin tapped in a shot that was initially saved by Atlanta G Dan Vladar just ove three minutes into the contest. The Gladiators continued to sputter offensively, allowing Norfolk to dictate the pace. F Roman Ammirato found Zach Franko for the second Admirals' goal of the night with 7:21 to play in the opening frame. The Glads went to the first intermission trailing by the same deficit.
Atlanta opened the middle period on a power play, looking to get their high-powered offense going. They entered the night third in the ECHL on the man-advantage, and it was Marchin with a nifty pass from the edge of the goal crease to find captain Derek Nesbitt open below the backside face-off dot. The veteran's one-time shot cut the Norfolk lead in half and energized the Glads. Atlanta was not able to capitalize on the momentum until nearly thirteen minutes later.
F Dante Hannoun found F Eric Neiley streaking into the offensive zone, creating a two-on-one break with Marchin. Neiley feathered the puck between a defender's legs to find Marchin before Norfolk G Alex Sakellaropoulos made an extraordinary save. Neiley's tenacity paid off as his second effort shuffled the puck below the goalie and leveled the game at two with 6:32 to play in the middle frame. With less than three minutes to play in the period, it was the Gladiators' top scoring threats that connected for the go-ahead tally. Marchin netted his team-leading 9th goal of the season after a feed from Hannoun and Atlanta led 3-2 at the second break.
The Glads' defense, with help from Vladar between the pipes, shut down the Admirals in the final frame. It was newcomer Jake Randolph snagging his first Atlanta goal in the waning minutes to salt the game away. The victory extends the Glads' season-high winning streak to four games.
The Gladiators return to Infinite Energy Arena after the holiday on Friday evening when they host the Greenville Swamp Rabbits at 7:35 PM. Friday is Zombie Night, which includes a myriad of promotional efforts. It is the first $5 Frenzy of the season, as fans can get a zombie t-shirt while supplies last. Fans can also meet WWE star Xavier Woods and actor Matt Mangum from The Walking Dead. Other events include a costume contest, face painting, and much more.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from November 27, 2019
- Game Preview: Swamp Rabbits at IceMen, November 27, 2019 - Jacksonville Icemen
- K-Wings Erase Two-Goal Deficit in Heartbreaking Loss - Kalamazoo Wings
- Thunder Falls to Tulsa on Thanksgiving Eve - Wichita Thunder
- Atlanta Scores Four Unanswered Goals to Defeat Norfolk, 4-2 - Norfolk Admirals
- Cyclones Withstand Late Charge to Clip Wings - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Glads Go Back for Fourths in Turkey Day Turnabout - Atlanta Gladiators
- Pelech Hits Historic Milestone in Swamp Rabbits Loss - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Nailers Extend Point Streak to Six, But Fall in Overtime - Wheeling Nailers
- Fuel Come up Short in First Game of Three Game Road Swing - Indy Fuel
- Thunder Stuff Fuel on Thanksgiving Eve, 4-2 - Adirondack Thunder
- Growlers Prevail over the Railers 4-1 in David Cunniff's Railers Coaching Debut - Worcester Railers HC
- Growlers Best Railers 4-1 - Newfoundland Growlers
- Colton Point Assigned to Steelheads from Texas Stars - Idaho Steelheads
- Rush Call up Tirone from SPHL Fayetteville - Rapid City Rush
- ECHL Transactions - November 27 - ECHL
- Nailers Receive Justin Almeida from Penguins - Wheeling Nailers
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Kalamazoo Wings - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Game Notes: at Idaho - Rapid City Rush
- Thunder Announce Black Friday Flash Sale - Adirondack Thunder
- Mariners Second Annual Teddy Bear Toss Is December 7th - Maine Mariners
- Coughlin's Third Period Goals Lift Norfolk Past Orlando - Norfolk Admirals
- Worcester Railers Make Coaching Change, Hire David Cunniff as General Manager and Head Coach - Worcester Railers HC
- Artistic Toys & Promotions to Give Away 2,000 Teddy Bears at December 14 Game - Reading Royals
- Growlers Pregame Notes: November 27 vs. Worcester Railers - Newfoundland Growlers
- Solar Bears Fall to Admirals, 4-2 - Orlando Solar Bears
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.