Pelech Hits Historic Milestone in Swamp Rabbits Loss
JACKSONVILLE, Fla. - Michael Pelech became the 29th player in ECHL history to hit 500 career points with his goal in the second period, but the Jacksonville Icemen scored the first goal and never looked back in a 4-2 win over the Swamp Rabbits on Wednesday night at the VyStar Veterans Memorial Arena on Thanksgiving Eve.
Down 2-0, 32 seconds after a goal by Brendan Warren, Pelech responded on a rebound opportunity generated by Liam Pecararo off of a turnover. The captain's fourth goal of the season represented his 500th point in his long and storied ECHL career.
Greenville fought through the third period and pulled within a goal in the third period. Adam Rockwood picked off a pass in the neutral zone and centered a pass in front that missed its intended target, Jake Horton, but found Mason Baptista waiting in the right wing circle, and his blast beat Michael McNiven to cut the lead to 3-2 halfway through the third period.
Everett Clark, however, put the game out of reach with an empty-net goal with a minute to go with Ryan Bednard out for the extra attacker.
Bednard made 36 saves on 39 shots fired his way in the loss, and stared down two first period power play chances by the visitors.
Emerson Clark struck first for Jacksonville at the 4:41 mark of the first period. The former Swamp Rabbit set up at the side of the net on a 2-on-1 break, and Charles-David Beaudoin's shot-pass found the elder Clark on the back door for the opening tally.
Brendan Warren doubled the lead in the second period, and Everett Clark converted on a turnover in the third period to sustain Jacksonville's offensive firepower. They outshot the Swamp Rabbits 40-22 in the game.
Greenville's power play came up empty on the night on two chances.
The Swamp Rabbits head home to celebrate Thanksgiving, and then head to Atlanta to take on the Gladiators on Friday, November 29. Catch all of the action on the Swamp Rabbits Broadcast Network, or ECHL.TV.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from November 27, 2019
- Game Preview: Swamp Rabbits at IceMen, November 27, 2019 - Jacksonville IceMen
- K-Wings Erase Two-Goal Deficit in Heartbreaking Loss - Kalamazoo Wings
- Thunder Falls to Tulsa on Thanksgiving Eve - Wichita Thunder
- Atlanta Scores Four Unanswered Goals to Defeat Norfolk, 4-2 - Norfolk Admirals
- Cyclones Withstand Late Charge to Clip Wings - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Glads Go Back for Fourths in Turkey Day Turnabout - Atlanta Gladiators
- Pelech Hits Historic Milestone in Swamp Rabbits Loss - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Nailers Extend Point Streak to Six, But Fall in Overtime - Wheeling Nailers
- Fuel Come up Short in First Game of Three Game Road Swing - Indy Fuel
- Thunder Stuff Fuel on Thanksgiving Eve, 4-2 - Adirondack Thunder
- Growlers Prevail over the Railers 4-1 in David Cunniff's Railers Coaching Debut - Worcester Railers HC
- Growlers Best Railers 4-1 - Newfoundland Growlers
- Colton Point Assigned to Steelheads from Texas Stars - Idaho Steelheads
- Rush Call up Tirone from SPHL Fayetteville - Rapid City Rush
- ECHL Transactions - November 27 - ECHL
- Nailers Receive Justin Almeida from Penguins - Wheeling Nailers
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Kalamazoo Wings - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Game Notes: at Idaho - Rapid City Rush
- Thunder Announce Black Friday Flash Sale - Adirondack Thunder
- Mariners Second Annual Teddy Bear Toss Is December 7th - Maine Mariners
- Coughlin's Third Period Goals Lift Norfolk Past Orlando - Norfolk Admirals
- Worcester Railers Make Coaching Change, Hire David Cunniff as General Manager and Head Coach - Worcester Railers HC
- Artistic Toys & Promotions to Give Away 2,000 Teddy Bears at December 14 Game - Reading Royals
- Growlers Pregame Notes: November 27 vs. Worcester Railers - Newfoundland Growlers
- Solar Bears Fall to Admirals, 4-2 - Orlando Solar Bears
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Greenville Swamp Rabbits Stories
- Swamp Rabbits Release 2020 Training Camp Roster
- Single Game Tickets on Sale Now
- Swamp Rabbits Align with Florida Panthers, Remain Partnered with Charlotte Checkers
- Dynamic Forward Liam Pecararo Rejoins for '20-21
- Swamp Rabbits Ink Goaltender John Lethemon