Fuel Come up Short in First Game of Three Game Road Swing
INDIANAPOLIS - In the first game of a three-game road trip, the Indy Fuel (6-11-0-0) faced the Adirondack Thunder (9-7-0-2) for the first time in franchise history. Jumping out to an early 2-0 lead, the Thunder would eventually double their lead, putting up two more goals in the second and third periods. Indy saw goals from Dylan McLaughlin and Derian Plouffe but would eventually come up short, falling 4-2 on Wednesday night.
Adirondack opened the scoring 1:04 into the game, when Mike Szmatula put a wrist shot over the shoulder of Fuel goaltender Charles Williams (23 SVS). Throughout the opening 20 minutes, Indy was handed two slashing penalties and despite several chances on Charles Williams, the Fuel killed off both penalties. Late in the period, after killing off a roughing penalty, Adirondack sprung Mike Szmatula on a breakaway and he beat Williams with a wrist shot, giving him his second goal of the game and the Thunder a 2-0 lead heading into the locker room.
Although outshooting the Thunder throughout the middle stanza, Indy was only able to get on the board once, late in the period. Adirondack tripled their lead when a contested puck between Dmitry Osipov and Conor Riley was won by Riley, who proceeded to hit Casey Pierro-Zabotel with a cross-ice pass to beat Williams. Indy cut the lead to 3-1 late in the third when Nathan Noel capitalized on a Thunder turnover and fed Dylan McLaughlin, who eventually beat goaltender Eamon McAdam (24 SVS).
Six minutes into the final period, Adirondack pounced on an Indy turnover, leading to an odd man rush for the Thunder. Ara Nazarian made a cross-ice pass to Kelly Summers to fired a slap shot past Charles Williams. Six minutes later, Indy cut the Thunder lead to 4-2 when a bouncing puck got behind Eamon McAdam and Derian Plouffe buried the puck in the back of the net. Indy's third period comeback attempt wouldn't be enough as the Thunder held on to win 4-2 on Wednesday night.
Single-Game tickets are now available for the entire 2019-20 Fuel season at Indiana Farmers Coliseum! Fans can also take advantage of a wide variety of Ticket Plans by calling 317-925-FUEL or visiting IndyFuelHockey.com. Don't miss a second of the action during the 2019-20 season - follow the Fuel on Twitter and Instagram (@IndyFuel) and 'Like' the Fuel on Facebook.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from November 27, 2019
- Game Preview: Swamp Rabbits at IceMen, November 27, 2019 - Jacksonville IceMen
- K-Wings Erase Two-Goal Deficit in Heartbreaking Loss - Kalamazoo Wings
- Thunder Falls to Tulsa on Thanksgiving Eve - Wichita Thunder
- Atlanta Scores Four Unanswered Goals to Defeat Norfolk, 4-2 - Norfolk Admirals
- Cyclones Withstand Late Charge to Clip Wings - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Glads Go Back for Fourths in Turkey Day Turnabout - Atlanta Gladiators
- Pelech Hits Historic Milestone in Swamp Rabbits Loss - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Nailers Extend Point Streak to Six, But Fall in Overtime - Wheeling Nailers
- Fuel Come up Short in First Game of Three Game Road Swing - Indy Fuel
- Thunder Stuff Fuel on Thanksgiving Eve, 4-2 - Adirondack Thunder
- Growlers Prevail over the Railers 4-1 in David Cunniff's Railers Coaching Debut - Worcester Railers HC
- Growlers Best Railers 4-1 - Newfoundland Growlers
- Colton Point Assigned to Steelheads from Texas Stars - Idaho Steelheads
- Rush Call up Tirone from SPHL Fayetteville - Rapid City Rush
- ECHL Transactions - November 27 - ECHL
- Nailers Receive Justin Almeida from Penguins - Wheeling Nailers
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Kalamazoo Wings - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Game Notes: at Idaho - Rapid City Rush
- Thunder Announce Black Friday Flash Sale - Adirondack Thunder
- Mariners Second Annual Teddy Bear Toss Is December 7th - Maine Mariners
- Coughlin's Third Period Goals Lift Norfolk Past Orlando - Norfolk Admirals
- Worcester Railers Make Coaching Change, Hire David Cunniff as General Manager and Head Coach - Worcester Railers HC
- Artistic Toys & Promotions to Give Away 2,000 Teddy Bears at December 14 Game - Reading Royals
- Growlers Pregame Notes: November 27 vs. Worcester Railers - Newfoundland Growlers
- Solar Bears Fall to Admirals, 4-2 - Orlando Solar Bears
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.