Worcester Railers Make Coaching Change, Hire David Cunniff as General Manager and Head Coach
WORCESTER, MA- The Worcester Railers Hockey Club (@RailersHC), proud ECHL (@ECHL) affiliate of the New York Islanders (@NYIslanders), and Railers HC Team President Michael G. Myers (@Myzie35) officially announced today that the club has relieved JAMIE RUSSELL of general manager and head coaching duties and named DAVID CUNNIFF as the club's new general manager and head coach.
In addition, DEREK ARMY has been relieved of his assistant coaching duties.
"Today, we made the decision to relieve Jamie Russell and Derek Army of their coaching duties and named David Cunniff as our new general manager and head coach,"said Myers. "Over the last three years, Jamie has been instrumental in providing a professional hockey culture for our organization and was able to set up a solid starting point for us."
"Jamie's professionalism and commitment to our organization was key in allowing us to succeed on and off the ice from Day 1 and we are appreciative of the foundation that he has put in place for us moving forward to be successful as an ECHL franchise. "We wish Jamie and Derek all the best moving forward."
"Our fans are familiar with the passion and hockey knowledge that David Cunniff brings to the table. His track record developing players and his hockey pedigree will take the Railers to the next level in terms of on-ice production. We look forward to the next phase and confident that David Cunniff will provide the leadership and the know-how to make us successful moving forward."
David Cunniff, 49, joins the Worcester Railers with 18 years of coaching experience in the American Hockey League (2002-2019) including serving as an assistant coach with the Hartford Wolf Pack this season where the club held a 11-4-0-5 record and is currently in first place in the Atlantic Division. David was a member of the Iowa Wild's coaching staff for four seasons (2015-19) and served as an Associate Coach with Iowa, as well as the team's Interim Head Coach for part of the 2015-16 season. In addition, Cunniff spent 12 seasons as either the associate coach or assistant coach with the San Jose Sharks' AHL affiliate which included eight seasons with the Worcester Sharks in 2006-2014. He also spent one season with the Albany Devils in 2014-15.
In parts of three seasons under Russell, the Railers posted a record of 73-66-20 in 159 regular season games and a 2-4 record in one post season appearance.
David Cunniff is expected to be behind the bench tonight joined by Worcester Railers player/assistant coach Barry Almeida. In addition, the club announced that vice president of marketing and communications Eric Lindquist will also serve as director of hockey operations.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from November 27, 2019
- Game Preview: Swamp Rabbits at IceMen, November 27, 2019 - Jacksonville IceMen
- K-Wings Erase Two-Goal Deficit in Heartbreaking Loss - Kalamazoo Wings
- Thunder Falls to Tulsa on Thanksgiving Eve - Wichita Thunder
- Atlanta Scores Four Unanswered Goals to Defeat Norfolk, 4-2 - Norfolk Admirals
- Cyclones Withstand Late Charge to Clip Wings - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Glads Go Back for Fourths in Turkey Day Turnabout - Atlanta Gladiators
- Pelech Hits Historic Milestone in Swamp Rabbits Loss - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Nailers Extend Point Streak to Six, But Fall in Overtime - Wheeling Nailers
- Fuel Come up Short in First Game of Three Game Road Swing - Indy Fuel
- Thunder Stuff Fuel on Thanksgiving Eve, 4-2 - Adirondack Thunder
- Growlers Prevail over the Railers 4-1 in David Cunniff's Railers Coaching Debut - Worcester Railers HC
- Growlers Best Railers 4-1 - Newfoundland Growlers
- Colton Point Assigned to Steelheads from Texas Stars - Idaho Steelheads
- Rush Call up Tirone from SPHL Fayetteville - Rapid City Rush
- ECHL Transactions - November 27 - ECHL
- Nailers Receive Justin Almeida from Penguins - Wheeling Nailers
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Kalamazoo Wings - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Game Notes: at Idaho - Rapid City Rush
- Thunder Announce Black Friday Flash Sale - Adirondack Thunder
- Mariners Second Annual Teddy Bear Toss Is December 7th - Maine Mariners
- Coughlin's Third Period Goals Lift Norfolk Past Orlando - Norfolk Admirals
- Worcester Railers Make Coaching Change, Hire David Cunniff as General Manager and Head Coach - Worcester Railers HC
- Artistic Toys & Promotions to Give Away 2,000 Teddy Bears at December 14 Game - Reading Royals
- Growlers Pregame Notes: November 27 vs. Worcester Railers - Newfoundland Growlers
- Solar Bears Fall to Admirals, 4-2 - Orlando Solar Bears
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Worcester Railers HC Stories
- Worcester Railers HC to Host Drive-Thru Teddy Bear Toss and Toy Drive to Benefit Friendly House on December 19
- Worcester Railers HC Announce Suspension of Play for the 2020-21 Season
- Worcester Railers HC Sign Forward Eddie Matsushima for the 2020-21 Season
- Fidelity Bank Worcester Ice Center to Host Worcester Sports Retail Sidewalk Sale on October 24
- Worcester Railers Announce Revised Start Date for 2020-21 Season