Gerber stays hot against Isotopes but River Cats drop opener
WEST SACRAMENTO, Calif. - The Sacramento River Cats (66-60) were bested by seven-year Major League veteran Chris Rusin in Monday night's series opener with the Albuquerque Isotopes (54-72) by a final score of 4-1.
The Albuquerque left-hander tossed 7.2 innings of one-run ball, holding the River Cats to just five hits. Right fielder Mike Gerber, though, kept his torrid pace while facing Isotopes pitching in 2019. With a double and a home run on Monday night, Gerber now has 26 hits in 13 games against Albuquerque this season, including five doubles, a triple, and nine home runs.
Gerber's seventh-inning long ball put him at 64 extra-base hits on the season, which broke a franchise record previously set back in the club's inaugural season when Jose Ortiz totaled 63.
The River Cats will welcome back right-hander Shaun Anderson (2-1, 4.11), who will be making a rehab start with Sacramento. The Isotopes will counter with righty Tim Melville (10-5, 5.42). First pitch is set for 7:05 p.m. (PT). Listen to all of the action live online at rivercats.com, on the MiLB First Pitch app, and on Money 105.5 FM.
Gerber, along with his team-leading 26th home run, raked his 37th double of the season, putting him four two-baggers away from tying a 15-year old franchise record set by Mike Edwards back in 2004.
Chase Johnson returned to the River Cats staff after spending nearly four months with the Double-A Richmond Flying Squirrels. The Giants' third-rounder from the 2013 draft, who was on the River Cats' opening-day roster and appeared in four games before being transferred to Richmond, struck out four and allowed three earned in 4.2 innings in Monday night's start.
The Sacramento River Cats are the Triple-A affiliate of the three-time World Champion -San Francisco Giants. The team plays at Raley Field in West Sacramento, consistently voted one of the top ballparks in America. Season Tickets, Mini-Plans, and Flex Plans can be purchased for the River Cats' 20th season by calling the River Cats Ticket Hotline at (916) 371-HITS (4487). The only place to guarantee official River Cats tickets is at www.rivercats.com. For information on other events at Raley Field, visit www.raleyfield.com.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from August 20, 2019
- Tacos for the road, and a #TacoTuesday win - Fresno Grizzlies
- Dodgers and Sounds Split Tuesday Games - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Iowa's Magic Number Drops to Six - Iowa Cubs
- Nashville Splits Doubleheader with Oklahoma City - Nashville Sounds
- Cubs Extend Missions Road Skid to Eight Games - San Antonio Missions
- Ponce de Leon, Carlson Shine in 5-3 Redbirds Triumph - Memphis Redbirds
- Redbirds Edge Express 5-3 - Round Rock Express
- 'Cakes Bullpen Squanders Neidert's Gem - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Las Vegas Ballpark Hosts Mexican Baseball Fiesta - Las Vegas Aviators
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (57-67) at Oklahoma City Dodgers (58-67) - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions at Iowa Cubs - San Antonio Missions
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (59-67) vs Round Rock Express (76-49) - Memphis Redbirds
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - August 20, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Reno Aces Game Notes at Las Vegas - Reno Aces
- Chihuahuas to Host El Paso Strong Night - El Paso Chihuahuas
- 95 Cent Tickets for Grizzlies Night; Ja Morant to Throw First Pitch, Meet Fans - Memphis Redbirds
- Aviators Rally for 6-5 Walk-Off Win over Reno - Las Vegas Aviators
- Second Inning Dooms Bees in Tacoma - Salt Lake Bees
- Felix Hernandez Makes Rehab Start, Tacoma Defeats Salt Lake for Fifth-Straight on Monday - Tacoma Rainiers
- Gerber stays hot against Isotopes but River Cats drop opener - Sacramento River Cats
- Three in the Ninth Wins It for Vegas - Reno Aces
- Rusin Guides Isotopes to Victory in Sacramento - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Chihuahuas Return Home with Big Win - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Dog Days: Chihuahuas top Grizzlies 9-1 in series-opener - Fresno Grizzlies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Sacramento River Cats Stories
- River Cats to Host Annual Preseason Party this Sunday
- River Cats Renew Partnership with FanCompass, Seek to Enhance Fan Engagement
- River Cats to Host Job Fairs January 25 and February 8
- Dave Brundage Returns as River Cats Manager to Defend Title in 2020
- USA Softball Team to Visit Sutter Health Park in Tune-Up for Olympics