Iowa's Magic Number Drops to Six
DES MOINES, IA - The Iowa Cubs' (68-59) magic number fell to six as they downed the San Antonio Missions (74-53) 5-1, Tuesday at Principal Park.
San Antonio was quick to generate offense as Tyler Saladino drew a walk from Alec Mills to start the game. Saladino swiped second and a one-out Tyler Austin single cornered the situation. Tyrone Taylor - who is 4-for-8 with four RBI in this series - doubled to bring in the game's first run.
After a 33-pitch first inning, Mills settled in to shut out the Missions through the next four innings. In five frames of work, Mills gave up four hits, walked three and struck out six.
The I-Cubs helped their starter as they loaded the bases without a hit to start the fourth. San Antonio was able to limit the damage as they held the home team to just one run on a P.J. Higgins single.
A towering solo home run off the bat of Phillip Evans broke the 1-1 tie in the sixth and the I-Cubs held on to the lead. A tumultuous inning for San Antonio helped Iowa to three insurance runs in the seventh on three walks, one error and one hit as the I-Cubs ran away with the game.
Iowa made the most of seven hits, adding five walks and one hit batter to make up the offensive effort. Higgins recorded the I-Cubs' only two-hit game, going 2-for-4 with a double and one RBI.
- In his second rehab game with Iowa, infielder Daniel Descalso went 0-for-2 with one run, one walk and two strikeouts.
- Alex Wilson (1.0 IP), Brad Wieck (1.0 IP), and Randy Rosario (2.0 IP) combined for a scoreless relief effort.
Iowa and San Antonio clash for game three of the four-game set at 7:08 p.m. Wednesday at Principal Park. Promotions include a Back to School Night Supply Drive benefitting the Boys and Girls Club. For more information and tickets, visit www.iowacubs.com.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from August 20, 2019
- Tacos for the road, and a #TacoTuesday win - Fresno Grizzlies
- Dodgers and Sounds Split Tuesday Games - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Iowa's Magic Number Drops to Six - Iowa Cubs
- Nashville Splits Doubleheader with Oklahoma City - Nashville Sounds
- Cubs Extend Missions Road Skid to Eight Games - San Antonio Missions
- Ponce de Leon, Carlson Shine in 5-3 Redbirds Triumph - Memphis Redbirds
- Redbirds Edge Express 5-3 - Round Rock Express
- 'Cakes Bullpen Squanders Neidert's Gem - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Las Vegas Ballpark Hosts Mexican Baseball Fiesta - Las Vegas Aviators
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (57-67) at Oklahoma City Dodgers (58-67) - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions at Iowa Cubs - San Antonio Missions
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (59-67) vs Round Rock Express (76-49) - Memphis Redbirds
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - August 20, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Reno Aces Game Notes at Las Vegas - Reno Aces
- Chihuahuas to Host El Paso Strong Night - El Paso Chihuahuas
- 95 Cent Tickets for Grizzlies Night; Ja Morant to Throw First Pitch, Meet Fans - Memphis Redbirds
- Aviators Rally for 6-5 Walk-Off Win over Reno - Las Vegas Aviators
- Second Inning Dooms Bees in Tacoma - Salt Lake Bees
- Felix Hernandez Makes Rehab Start, Tacoma Defeats Salt Lake for Fifth-Straight on Monday - Tacoma Rainiers
- Gerber stays hot against Isotopes but River Cats drop opener - Sacramento River Cats
- Three in the Ninth Wins It for Vegas - Reno Aces
- Rusin Guides Isotopes to Victory in Sacramento - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Chihuahuas Return Home with Big Win - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Dog Days: Chihuahuas top Grizzlies 9-1 in series-opener - Fresno Grizzlies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.