Felix Hernandez Makes Rehab Start, Tacoma Defeats Salt Lake for Fifth-Straight on Monday
Tacoma, WA - Seattle Mariners pitcher Felix Hernandez pitched three-plus innings in a rehab start at Cheney Stadium as the Tacoma Rainiers defeated the Salt Lake Bees on Monday, 8-3, extending their winning streak to a season-high five games.
Hernandez, recovering from a Grade 1 lat strain suffered in May, went three innings of one-run ball with five punchouts, getting removed in the fourth after walking consecutive hitters to start the frame. The 33-year-old threw 69 pitches, including 41 strikes, and allowed four hits and three walks in his outing.
Salt Lake (53-73) took a one-run lead in the first before John Andreoli launched a solo blast to left-center field to lead off the bottom of the first inning, 1-1.
In the bottom of the second, the Rainiers (58-68) took the lead with a five-run frame that started when Eric Filia lifted a sacrifice fly to score Aaron Knapp. Ryan Court doubled home two runs and Jaycob Brugman followed with an RBI two-bagger, extending Tacoma's lead, 5-1, before catcher Joe Odom singled home Brugman for the final run of the frame.
Since joining Tacoma, Odom is slashing .480/.581/.800 in 25 at-bats across his first seven games. The 27-year-old catcher hit just .219 in 81 games with Double-A Arkansas this season.
Daniel Castro added more insurance runs in the bottom of the fourth with a two-run single, keeping Tacoma ahead, 8-1.
Mike Wright (2-3) took over on the mound in the fourth and left both of Hernandez's runners stranded. The right-hander surrendered two runs across four frames, striking out seven and earning his second win.
Brian Ellington tossed a scoreless eighth with one walk and Matt Carasiti slammed the door with a 1-2-3 ninth, collecting a pair of strikeouts.
The Rainiers will carry momentum into Tuesday night as they host the Bees at Cheney Stadium. Right-hander Darren McCaughan (0-5, 10.30) will take hill for a 7:05 p.m. PDT start. Mike Curto will have full coverage on South Sound Talk 850 with audio streaming available on the Tacoma Rainiers TuneIn Radio Network.
All tickets, group outings, and suites packages for the 2019 season are available for purchase in person at the Cheney Stadium Box Office, online at TacomaRainiers.com, or over the phone at (253) 752-7707. The most up-to-date news and notes about the Rainiers throughout the season can be found by following the Rainiers on Twitter (@RainiersLand), on Instagram (@tacomarainiers), or by liking the team on Facebook.
Images from this story
Felix Hernandez pitching for the Tacoma Rainiers
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from August 20, 2019
- Tacos for the road, and a #TacoTuesday win - Fresno Grizzlies
- Dodgers and Sounds Split Tuesday Games - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Iowa's Magic Number Drops to Six - Iowa Cubs
- Nashville Splits Doubleheader with Oklahoma City - Nashville Sounds
- Cubs Extend Missions Road Skid to Eight Games - San Antonio Missions
- Ponce de Leon, Carlson Shine in 5-3 Redbirds Triumph - Memphis Redbirds
- Redbirds Edge Express 5-3 - Round Rock Express
- 'Cakes Bullpen Squanders Neidert's Gem - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Las Vegas Ballpark Hosts Mexican Baseball Fiesta - Las Vegas Aviators
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (57-67) at Oklahoma City Dodgers (58-67) - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions at Iowa Cubs - San Antonio Missions
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (59-67) vs Round Rock Express (76-49) - Memphis Redbirds
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - August 20, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Reno Aces Game Notes at Las Vegas - Reno Aces
- Chihuahuas to Host El Paso Strong Night - El Paso Chihuahuas
- 95 Cent Tickets for Grizzlies Night; Ja Morant to Throw First Pitch, Meet Fans - Memphis Redbirds
- Aviators Rally for 6-5 Walk-Off Win over Reno - Las Vegas Aviators
- Second Inning Dooms Bees in Tacoma - Salt Lake Bees
- Felix Hernandez Makes Rehab Start, Tacoma Defeats Salt Lake for Fifth-Straight on Monday - Tacoma Rainiers
- Gerber stays hot against Isotopes but River Cats drop opener - Sacramento River Cats
- Three in the Ninth Wins It for Vegas - Reno Aces
- Rusin Guides Isotopes to Victory in Sacramento - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Chihuahuas Return Home with Big Win - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Dog Days: Chihuahuas top Grizzlies 9-1 in series-opener - Fresno Grizzlies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Tacoma Rainiers Stories
- Brugman Homers One Last Time, Rainiers Fall to Las Vegas in Season Finale
- Nolin Strikes out 11, Rainiers Drop Sunday Night Match-Up against Aviators
- Misiewicz Dominant to Propel Rainiers to Second-Straight Win in Las Vegas
- Andreoli Racks up Four Hits, Brugman Knocks in Game-Winner for Rainiers
- Brugman Plates Four, Rainiers Drop Series Finale to Fresno