Tacos for the road, and a #TacoTuesday win
El Paso, TX - On Taco Tuesday, the "Fresno Tacos" (56-71) played as the visiting team for the second time this season, a natural opponent for the "El Paso Margaritas" (74-53) as part of Copa de la Diversion festivities at Southwest Univeristy Park. Fresno prevailed 9-4, scoring the game's final nine runs. A Tacos pitching trio of Scott Copeland, James Bourque (2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 5 K) and Joan Baez (1.0 IP, 0 R) held the club with the most home runs in Minor League Baseball homer-less in the victory.
Trailing 4-0 in the third inning, the Tacos teed off on a pair of homers, Chuck Taylor's fourth with Fresno (2-run) and Jose Marmolejos's 16th (solo), trimming the lead to 4-3. Behind by the same score in the eighth, Taylor Gushue's sac fly tied the game, scoring Jake Noll after he reached on a one-out single.
Copeland worked a quality start for Fresno, scattering four hits and three earned runs over six innings. Left-handed counterpart Dillon Overton allowed five hits and three earned over five innings, with five strikeouts.
Matt Reynolds un-tied a 4-4 game in the ninth, with a gap double that scored Luis Sardinas, after his single led the inning. That sparked a five-run final frame for the Tacos, as Noll followed suit with a two-run double, and Gushue did the same as Fresno sent all nine batters to the plate.
Fresno picked up their first win of this 11-game road trip (1-5), their final of the season, which will end in Albuquerque on Sunday. The rubber match of this three-game series at El Paso will be Wednesday evening. 13 games remain in the 2019 season.
Top Performers: Fresno Tacos (Washington Nationals)
- 1B Jake Noll (2-5, 2B, 2 RBI, 2 R)
- LF Chuck Taylor (2-run HR, 2 BB, 2 R)
- C Taylor Gushue (Sac fly, 2B, 3 RBI, BB)
Top Performers: El Paso Margaritas (San Diego Padres)
- C Austin Allen (2-4, 2B, 2 RBI, R)
- 3B Jason Vosler (RBI 3B)
DAY DATE OPPONENT PROBABLE PITCHERS TIME (PT) RADIO/TV
Wednesday August 21 El Paso Chihuahuas (Road) LHP Ben Braymer (Fresno) vs. LHP Dietrich Enns (El Paso) 6:05 p.m. KRDU 1130 / MiLB.TV
ON THAT FRES-NOTE: Jake Noll is batting .353 (48-136) post-All-Star Break (since July 11), with an .848 OPS over 33 games.
Of the PCL's current lineup of cities, El Paso is one of four that Fresno has a winning all-time record against. The Grizzlies are 53-50 (including postseason) against El Paso (since 2014), 91-61 against Albuquerque (1998-2000 & 2003-present), 53-51 against Omaha (since 1998) and 35-24 against Round Rock (since 2005).
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from August 20, 2019
- Tacos for the road, and a #TacoTuesday win - Fresno Grizzlies
- Dodgers and Sounds Split Tuesday Games - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Iowa's Magic Number Drops to Six - Iowa Cubs
- Nashville Splits Doubleheader with Oklahoma City - Nashville Sounds
- Cubs Extend Missions Road Skid to Eight Games - San Antonio Missions
- Ponce de Leon, Carlson Shine in 5-3 Redbirds Triumph - Memphis Redbirds
- Redbirds Edge Express 5-3 - Round Rock Express
- 'Cakes Bullpen Squanders Neidert's Gem - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Las Vegas Ballpark Hosts Mexican Baseball Fiesta - Las Vegas Aviators
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (57-67) at Oklahoma City Dodgers (58-67) - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions at Iowa Cubs - San Antonio Missions
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (59-67) vs Round Rock Express (76-49) - Memphis Redbirds
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - August 20, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Reno Aces Game Notes at Las Vegas - Reno Aces
- Chihuahuas to Host El Paso Strong Night - El Paso Chihuahuas
- 95 Cent Tickets for Grizzlies Night; Ja Morant to Throw First Pitch, Meet Fans - Memphis Redbirds
- Aviators Rally for 6-5 Walk-Off Win over Reno - Las Vegas Aviators
- Second Inning Dooms Bees in Tacoma - Salt Lake Bees
- Felix Hernandez Makes Rehab Start, Tacoma Defeats Salt Lake for Fifth-Straight on Monday - Tacoma Rainiers
- Gerber stays hot against Isotopes but River Cats drop opener - Sacramento River Cats
- Three in the Ninth Wins It for Vegas - Reno Aces
- Rusin Guides Isotopes to Victory in Sacramento - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Chihuahuas Return Home with Big Win - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Dog Days: Chihuahuas top Grizzlies 9-1 in series-opener - Fresno Grizzlies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Fresno Grizzlies Stories
- Fresno Grizzlies Season Update
- Fresno Grizzlies Join Minor League Baseball's CommUNITY First Campaign
- Fowler Packing (Peelz), Save Mart, ABC 30, Chukchansi Gold Resort & Casino, and Grizzlies Join Forces to Surprise Senior Shoppers with Free Groceries
- Grizzlies Unveil 2020 Daily Specials
- Chukchansi Park Job Fair Set for Saturday, March 7th