Ponce de Leon, Carlson Shine in 5-3 Redbirds Triumph
MEMPHIS, Tennessee - Daniel Ponce de Leon continued to dazzle on the mound, and Dylan Carlson turned in an impressive performance at the plate in a 5-3 Memphis Redbirds win over the Round Rock Express (Astros) Tuesday night at AutoZone Park.
Ponce de Leon threw five shutout innings before finishing with one run allowed in 6.0 frames of work, and he struck out five. In four starts in August since returning from the St. Louis Cardinals, the right-hander has allowed just that one run in 24.0 innings with nine hits allowed, all of which are singles.
Dating back to his last appearance with Memphis before being recalled by St. Louis, through his first five innings of work tonight, Ponce de Leon threw 26.0-straight scoreless innings. The Redbirds' franchise record for consecutive scoreless innings by a starter is 32.0, set by John Gast in 2013.
Carlson went 3-for-4 at the plate with a home run and a double, and he was on base four times including a walk. The No. 2 Cardinals prospect and 51st-ranked prospect in all of baseball has a hit in all six games he has played as a Redbird with five-straight multi-hit games.
The sweet-swinging switch hitter led off the third inning with his second home run to deep right field, and the Redbirds scored twice more in the inning after John Nogowski reached on a fielder's choice and scored on an Adolis Garcia double before Garcia crossed the plate on a Justin Williams sacrifice fly.
Round Rock (76-50) got a run back in the top of the sixth off Ponce de Leon, but the Redbirds (60-67) answered right back in the home-half with Max Schrock singling, going to third on an Edmundo Sosa base hit, and scoring on Carlson's single up the middle.
After Ponce de Leon left the game after the sixth inning, the Express got two runs off Kodi Whitley in the top of the seventh and had the bases loaded with nobody out as Dominic Leone entered the game. Leone got three-straight outs to strand the sacks full and keep a 4-3 Memphis lead.
The Redbirds got an insurance run in the bottom of the eighth, as Schrock scored on a wild pitch after leading off the inning with a double.
Mike Mayers allowed a single leading off the ninth inning, but he finished up the save with three-straight outs including two punch-outs.
The Redbirds have won nine of their last 11 games.
Memphis and Round Rock continue their four-game series tomorrow night at 6:35. The Redbirds conclude their regular-season home slate on Sunday.
Upcoming Games of Note at AutoZone Park
Wednesday, August 21 at 6:35: Woof Wednesday presented by Invisible Fence Brand of Memphis with dogs able to come to the stadium along with their parents
Thursday, August 22 at 7:05: Grizzlies Night with jersey auction; Throwback Thursday presented by Polk's Meat Products featuring throwback concession pricing of $2 beers and $1 Polk's hot dogs; College Night with $5 Bluff tickets for college students with a college ID
Friday, August 23 at 7:05: Replica 2018 Triple-A National Championship Ring Giveaway presented by Terminix (first 2,000 fans); All-You-Can-Eat Night specialty ticket presented by Dave & Buster's featuring an all-you-can-eat crab legs buffet and a free $15 Dave & Buster's Power Card available at www.memphisredbirds.com/allyoucaneat; Papa John's Friday Family Pack specialty ticket option with free ballpark food and free Papa John's at www.memphisredbirds.com/fridayfamilypack
Saturday, August 24 at 6:35: Terminix Saturday Fireworks Show after the game; Yadier Molina T-Shirt Jersey Giveaway presented by AutoZone (first 1,500 fans); Aldo's Pizza specialty ticket with free soda at the ballpark and free and discounted food and beverages at Aldo's Pizza Pies available at www.memphisredbirds.com/aldos
Sunday, August 25 at 2:05: Fan Appreciation Day presented by Hunter Fan Company (all fans receive a voucher good for a game in 2020); Prairie Farms Ice Cream Sunday (free ice cream for kids upon entering); pregame player autographs presented by Allegiant Air; specialty ticket that includes a St. Louis Cardinals adult road alternate jersey available at www.memphisredbirds.com/cardinals; kids run the bases after the game
Tuesday, Sept. 17 at 7:00: Triple A-National Championship Game presented by Ephesus Sports Lighting
For more information on the 2019 season, visit www.memphisredbirds.com.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from August 20, 2019
- Tacos for the road, and a #TacoTuesday win - Fresno Grizzlies
- Dodgers and Sounds Split Tuesday Games - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Iowa's Magic Number Drops to Six - Iowa Cubs
- Nashville Splits Doubleheader with Oklahoma City - Nashville Sounds
- Cubs Extend Missions Road Skid to Eight Games - San Antonio Missions
- Ponce de Leon, Carlson Shine in 5-3 Redbirds Triumph - Memphis Redbirds
- Redbirds Edge Express 5-3 - Round Rock Express
- 'Cakes Bullpen Squanders Neidert's Gem - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Las Vegas Ballpark Hosts Mexican Baseball Fiesta - Las Vegas Aviators
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (57-67) at Oklahoma City Dodgers (58-67) - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions at Iowa Cubs - San Antonio Missions
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (59-67) vs Round Rock Express (76-49) - Memphis Redbirds
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - August 20, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Reno Aces Game Notes at Las Vegas - Reno Aces
- Chihuahuas to Host El Paso Strong Night - El Paso Chihuahuas
- 95 Cent Tickets for Grizzlies Night; Ja Morant to Throw First Pitch, Meet Fans - Memphis Redbirds
- Aviators Rally for 6-5 Walk-Off Win over Reno - Las Vegas Aviators
- Second Inning Dooms Bees in Tacoma - Salt Lake Bees
- Felix Hernandez Makes Rehab Start, Tacoma Defeats Salt Lake for Fifth-Straight on Monday - Tacoma Rainiers
- Gerber stays hot against Isotopes but River Cats drop opener - Sacramento River Cats
- Three in the Ninth Wins It for Vegas - Reno Aces
- Rusin Guides Isotopes to Victory in Sacramento - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Chihuahuas Return Home with Big Win - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Dog Days: Chihuahuas top Grizzlies 9-1 in series-opener - Fresno Grizzlies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Memphis Redbirds Stories
- AutoZone Park to Host Free Movie Night Presented by Terminix
- MLB Names Peter B. Freund to Guide Transition of Licensed Affiliates
- Memphis Redbirds Statement on Season Cancellation
- Minor League Baseball Delays Start of 2020 Season
- Redbirds Single-Game Tickets on Sale