Redbirds Edge Express 5-3
MEMPHIS, Tennessee - The Memphis Redbirds (60-67) fought through an attempted comeback by the Round Rock Express (76-50) to secure a 5-3 victory on Tuesday night at AutoZone Park. LF Dylan Carlson made the difference for Memphis, falling a triple shy of the cycle in the win.
Round Rock RHP Jose Urquidy (4-3, 5.04) suffered the loss after surrendering three runs, only two of which were earned, on six hits and two walks in a 5.0-inning start. On the winning side, Memphis RHP Daniel Ponce de Leon (7-4, 2.84) held Round Rock to only one run on five hits and four walks in 6.0 innings of work.
After two scoreless innings to open the game, Memphis dropped a three-spot in the third. Carlson led off the frame with a home run prior to a Rangel Ravelo single. 1B John Nogowski then grounded into a fielder's choice that erased Ravelo at second. CF Adolis Garcia then stepped to the plate and hit a double to score Nogowski while a throwing error by E-Train SS Myles Straw allowed the runner to advance to third. The error ultimately burned the Express as Garcia later scored the Redbirds' third run on a RF Justin Williams sacrifice fly.
The Express finally struck after two more quiet innings. 1B Taylor Jones and CF Drew Ferguson each singled before 2B Nick Tanielu loaded the bases with a walk. With no outs, DH Lorenzo Quintana plated Jones for the first E-Train run on a sacrifice fly.
However, Memphis quickly got the run back in the home half of the inning. 3B Max Schrock, SS Edmundo Sosa and Carlson notched a series of singles, the third of which scored a run, to serve Round Rock a 4-1 deficit.
Round Rock attempted a furious comeback in the seventh as Straw hit a double into deep center field before 3B Abraham Toro jumped aboard on a single. RF Kyle Tucker loaded the bases after reaching on a 'Birds fielding error moments before Jones drove in Straw with an RBI single. Ferguson later worked a timely bases-loaded walk to bring the team within 4-3.
However, the comeback ultimately stalled when Schrock, who led off the eighth with a double and advanced on a flyout, converted on a wild pitch by E-Train RHP Dean Deetz to tack on an insurance run in the eighth. The 'Birds then sent out RHP Mike Mayers, who tossed a scoreless ninth inning to preserve the 5-3 win.
The Express hope to bounce back in Wednesday night's game three. Round Rock LHP Kent Emanuel (7-1, 4.08) is set to start opposite Memphis RHP Jake Woodford (8-7, 3.96). First pitch at AutoZone Park is scheduled for 6:35 p.m.
For more information on the Express, visit RRExpress.com or call (512) 255-2255. Keep up with the Express on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter, and join the conversation during our historic 20th season using #20STROng.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from August 20, 2019
- Tacos for the road, and a #TacoTuesday win - Fresno Grizzlies
- Dodgers and Sounds Split Tuesday Games - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Iowa's Magic Number Drops to Six - Iowa Cubs
- Nashville Splits Doubleheader with Oklahoma City - Nashville Sounds
- Cubs Extend Missions Road Skid to Eight Games - San Antonio Missions
- Ponce de Leon, Carlson Shine in 5-3 Redbirds Triumph - Memphis Redbirds
- Redbirds Edge Express 5-3 - Round Rock Express
- 'Cakes Bullpen Squanders Neidert's Gem - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Las Vegas Ballpark Hosts Mexican Baseball Fiesta - Las Vegas Aviators
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (57-67) at Oklahoma City Dodgers (58-67) - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions at Iowa Cubs - San Antonio Missions
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (59-67) vs Round Rock Express (76-49) - Memphis Redbirds
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - August 20, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Reno Aces Game Notes at Las Vegas - Reno Aces
- Chihuahuas to Host El Paso Strong Night - El Paso Chihuahuas
- 95 Cent Tickets for Grizzlies Night; Ja Morant to Throw First Pitch, Meet Fans - Memphis Redbirds
- Aviators Rally for 6-5 Walk-Off Win over Reno - Las Vegas Aviators
- Second Inning Dooms Bees in Tacoma - Salt Lake Bees
- Felix Hernandez Makes Rehab Start, Tacoma Defeats Salt Lake for Fifth-Straight on Monday - Tacoma Rainiers
- Gerber stays hot against Isotopes but River Cats drop opener - Sacramento River Cats
- Three in the Ninth Wins It for Vegas - Reno Aces
- Rusin Guides Isotopes to Victory in Sacramento - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Chihuahuas Return Home with Big Win - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Dog Days: Chihuahuas top Grizzlies 9-1 in series-opener - Fresno Grizzlies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Round Rock Express Stories
- Round Rock Express to Host "Kicks and Tricks" Kickball Tournament
- Rodeo Austin to Host New Event with Round Rock Express
- Special Guests Added for Encore Drive-In Night at Dell Diamond
- Koe Wetzel to Perform Live at Dell Diamond on October 16
- Inaugural Tailgates and Tunes Concert Series Relaunched