Three in the Ninth Wins It for Vegas
Las Vegas, NV. - The Aces brought a 5-3 lead into the bottom of the ninth against the Aviators Monday night, but the advantage wasn't enough. Las Vegas used three hits and a throwing error in the final frame to steal the win out of Reno's grip winning the game 6-5. Franklin Barreto and Jonah Heim had RBIs in the inning to tie the game. The winning run came on a bunt single from Jorge Mateo, unfortunately, reliever Damien Magnifico threw the ball into right field which allowed a pinch runner to come around and score. Tim Locastro gave the Biggest Little City a 4-3 lead in the eighth with a 3-run double. Jamie Westbrook scored him a few batters later thanks to an RBI single. Riley Smith was quality in the no-decision for Reno. He went six innings giving up two runs on four hits and struck out five. Vegas' first baseman Seth Brown led the Aviators offense with two solo home runs in the game, his 36th, and 37th of the year. One behind Kevin Cron for the Pacific Coast League lead. Reno will look to bounce back with Jon Duplantier starting game two of the series tomorrow night at 7:05 p.m. PT.
Top Performers - Reno
Tim Locastro (1-for-4, 2B, 3 RBI, 2 R)
Abraham Almonte (2-for-3)
Riley Smith (6.0 IP, 2 ER, 4 H, 5 K)
Top Performers - Las Vegas
Seth Brown (2-for-4, 2 HR)
Franklin Barreto (2-for-4, HR)
Parker Dunshee (6.0 IP, 0 ER, 1 H, 6 K)
DAY DATE OPPONENT PROBABLE PITCHERS TIME (PT) (PT) RADIO/TV
Tuesday August 20 Las Vegas Jon Duplantier vs. Jesus Luzardo 7:05 p.m. KPLY 630 AM
Notes & Information
Nice Try: Las Vegas' Jorge Mateo is one of the fastest and most exciting players in the Pacific Coast League. The 2019 PCL All-Star has 22 stolen bases this year, good for sixth in the league. However, Reno has been able to hold him relatively in check on the bases this year. Mateo has three stolen bases this season against the Biggest Little City but has been caught stealing three times as well including once in tonight's ballgame. His three times caught stealing against the Aces is the most against any team this season. He's been caught stealing 11 times overall.
Ouch: Tim Locastro was hit by a pitch yet again in tonight's ballgame against the Aviators. It's the ninth time in 28 games for Reno. It was TimmyLo's 25th overall HBP this season between Arizona and Reno. Reno's Andy Young has 30 HBP across Double-A (19) and Triple-A (11), tied with Seth Beer for the most in all Minor League baseball. The Aces activated Wyatt Mathisen from the Injured list today. He leads the PCL with 19 HBP's this year. If you combine Mathisen's 19, Young's 11, and Locastro's nine HBP's they would have 39 total. The Omaha Storm Chasers as a team are last in the PCL in the category with 41, Fresno and Albuquerque each have 43. The Aces have been plunked 73 times this year.
MVP Race: Las Vegas' Seth Brown went yard two times against the Aces tonight to bring his total to 37, one behind Reno's Kevin Cron. The PCL MVP race appears to involve three players. Cron - .322 AVG, .439 OBP, .824 SLG with 38 HR/98 RBI/77 R over 72 games. Brown - .294 AVG, .348 OBP, .641 SLG with 37 HR/103 RBI/95 R/8 SB over 107 games. El Paso's Ty France - .399 AVG, .477 OBP, .770 SLG with 27 HR/89 RBI/83 R over 76 games.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from August 20, 2019
- Tacos for the road, and a #TacoTuesday win - Fresno Grizzlies
- Dodgers and Sounds Split Tuesday Games - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Iowa's Magic Number Drops to Six - Iowa Cubs
- Nashville Splits Doubleheader with Oklahoma City - Nashville Sounds
- Cubs Extend Missions Road Skid to Eight Games - San Antonio Missions
- Ponce de Leon, Carlson Shine in 5-3 Redbirds Triumph - Memphis Redbirds
- Redbirds Edge Express 5-3 - Round Rock Express
- 'Cakes Bullpen Squanders Neidert's Gem - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Las Vegas Ballpark Hosts Mexican Baseball Fiesta - Las Vegas Aviators
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (57-67) at Oklahoma City Dodgers (58-67) - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions at Iowa Cubs - San Antonio Missions
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (59-67) vs Round Rock Express (76-49) - Memphis Redbirds
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - August 20, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Reno Aces Game Notes at Las Vegas - Reno Aces
- Chihuahuas to Host El Paso Strong Night - El Paso Chihuahuas
- 95 Cent Tickets for Grizzlies Night; Ja Morant to Throw First Pitch, Meet Fans - Memphis Redbirds
- Aviators Rally for 6-5 Walk-Off Win over Reno - Las Vegas Aviators
- Second Inning Dooms Bees in Tacoma - Salt Lake Bees
- Felix Hernandez Makes Rehab Start, Tacoma Defeats Salt Lake for Fifth-Straight on Monday - Tacoma Rainiers
- Gerber stays hot against Isotopes but River Cats drop opener - Sacramento River Cats
- Three in the Ninth Wins It for Vegas - Reno Aces
- Rusin Guides Isotopes to Victory in Sacramento - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Chihuahuas Return Home with Big Win - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Dog Days: Chihuahuas top Grizzlies 9-1 in series-opener - Fresno Grizzlies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Reno Aces Stories
- 2020 Minor League Baseball Season Canceled
- Reno Aces, Reno 1868 FC Share Support of Greater Nevada Credit Union
- Aces and 1868 FC Corporate Partners Offer Business and Job Opportunities
- 4.9.20 Reno Aces Release City Pride On-Field "BLC" Cap
- Greater Nevada Field to Host Food Bank of Northern Nevada