Gardiner Records Gordie Howe Hat Trick But K-Wings Fall in Shootout
Kalamazoo, MI. - The K-Wings picked up a point but fell 4-3 in the skills competition Friday night to Brampton.
Reid Gardiner extended his league long point streak to 15-games with a first period tally. He also notched a Gordie Howe hat trick (goal, assist, fight) becoming the first K-Wing to do that this season. Chris Collins recorded his sixth straight multi-point game. Tanner Sorenson also extended his point-streak to nine games.
A pair of power play goals highlighted the opening period. Reid Gardiner got the home side on the board with his 17th goal of the season just 7:20 into the first period. The forward continued his league high 15-game point streak wristing a shot low near side past Etienne Marcoux, to give the home side the 1-0. Just over midway through the period the Beast knotted the game up. Artur Tianulin collected a rebound and shoveled the puck to the back of the net, tying the game. With a power play late in the period the Beast took advantage, taking the lead. As time wound down, Matt Petgrave wristed a point-shot through traffic and past Jake Hildebrand, beating the K-Wing goaltender with 2.1 seconds left in the period.
Trailing by one the K-Wings scored each of the next two goals to take a lead late in the middle frame. Chris Collins roofed a shot from below the dot, sending it past Marcoux to tie the game at 2-2. Five minutes later Tanner Sorenson swatted a rebound out of mid-air into the back of the net, giving the K-Wings the 3-2 lead. In the final minute of the period the Beast struck again as Jordan Henry lifted a back-hand past Hildebrand, to tie the game with just 0:25 left in the period.
After a scoreless third period the teams headed to the extra frame tied at 3-3. In the overtime the K-Wins out shot the Beast 4-3 but were unable to solve Marcoux again as the teams headed to a shoot-out. After both teams scored in the opening round of the shootout the K-Wings were unable to score again as Marcoux stopped four of five skaters in the skills competition. Tied in the bottom of the fifth round Daniel Ciampini scored the game-winning goal for the Beast, as they skated out with the shootout victory, 4-3.
Hildebrand stopped 23 of 26 shots in the loss, while Marcoux stopped 32 of 35 shots.
Kalamazoo Wings single game and half season tickets are available now! More information can be gathered at www.kwings.com.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 11, 2019
- Fuel Suffer Overtime Loss in Wild Affair with Komets - Indy Fuel
- Oilers Dominate Rush to Start Long Road Trip - Tulsa Oilers
- Mavericks Win Thriller against Cincy, 7-6 in OT - Kansas City Mavericks
- Cyclones Overcome Deficit Late, Fall in Overtime in Weekend Opener - Cincinnati Cyclones
- High Five: 'Blades Shut out Swamp Rabbits, 5-0 - Florida Everblades
- 'Blades Vanquish Swamp Rabbits - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Bligh Stings Former Squad with OT Winner in South Carolina - Atlanta Gladiators
- Comeback Bid Falls Short as Orlando Edges Norfolk - Norfolk Admirals
- Gladiators Surge Past Stingrays in Overtime - South Carolina Stingrays
- Gardiner Records Gordie Howe Hat Trick But K-Wings Fall in Shootout - Kalamazoo Wings
- Monarchs Win, 3-1, against Royals on CHaD Night - Manchester Monarchs
- Nailers Fall to First-Place Grizzlies - Wheeling Nailers
- DiChiara Scores, Royals Drop, 3-1, at Manchester - Reading Royals
- Power and O'Brien Push Growlers Past Thunder - Newfoundland Growlers
- Adirondack Can't Complete Comeback After Digging Big Hole - Adirondack Thunder
- Preview: Everblades Face Greenville in Second Tilt of Three-Game Set - Florida Everblades
- ECHL Transactions - January 11 - ECHL
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Admirals - Orlando Solar Bears
- Allen Americans Game Capsule - Allen Americans
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Kansas City - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Grizzlies in Wheeling Tonight - Utah Grizzlies
- Thunder Closes Road Trip Tonight in Allen - Wichita Thunder
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Admirals, January 11, 2019 - Norfolk Admirals
- Officials Named for 2019 CCM/ECHL All-Star Classic - ECHL
- Nailers vs. Grizzlies Game Day Snap Shot, January 11 - Wheeling Nailers
- Bajkov Recalled to AHL Springfield by Florida Panthers - Florida Everblades
- Game Day: Royals Defense Looks for Continued Mastery at Manchester - Reading Royals
- Game Day: Home Portion of 2019 Kicks off Friday Night vs. Brampton - Kalamazoo Wings
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Kalamazoo Wings Stories
- Game Day: K-Wings Host Game 5 Saturday Night at Wings Event Center
- K-Wings Tie It Late But Fall 4-3 on Wideman's Power Play Marker
- Game Day: Wings Host Game Four Looking to Even Series
- Power Play Scores for Third Straight Game as K-Wings Fall 4-1
- Game Day: Playoff Hockey Returns to Wings Event Center