Adirondack Can't Complete Comeback After Digging Big Hole
ST. JOHN'S, NL - James Henry and Matt Salhany recorded multi-point nights, but the Adirondack Thunder could not finish the comeback in a 6-3 loss to the Newfoundland Growlers Friday night at Mile One Centre.
Newfoundland started the game as hot as possible, jumping out to a 5-0 lead behind goals from Marcus Power (2), Hudson Elynuik, Derian Plouffe and Zach O'Brien.
The beauty of the quintuplet was Power's second tally of the game, his second score in less than three minutes. Power took a drop-pass from O'Brien while he was charging the slot, faked playing the puck between his legs, scooped down and roofed a forehand directly in front of the Thunder cage for a 2-0 Newfoundland lead.
Adirondack did its best to get back in the game with the next trio of goals. James Henry got the Thunder on the board just 25 seconds after O'Brien's tally. Andrew Tessier took the initial shot from the left point that got deflected in front and over the body of Newfoundland goalie Eric Levine. The puck sat in the crease where Henry pounded it in for his ninth score.
Salhany gave the Thunder a pair less than three minutes later with a power-play tally. Blake Thompson put a shot on net from the right faceoff circle and Salhany got a stick on it in front. With the puck still out of the net, a Growlers defenseman crashed into Levine and pushed the puck into the cage.
Dylan Walchuk got Adirondack as close as it would get at 5-3 with a marker 72 seconds into the third period. Walchuk possessed the puck from the faceoff circle, circled around the blue line and lifted a screen-shot on net that found its way through and by Levine. The goal was Walchuk's fifth since being acquired by the Thunder.
Giorgio Estephan tallied the games final goal midway through the final period for a 6-3 final.
Same time, same place tomorrow - the two team's will skate in a rematch at 5:30 p.m. EST from Mile One Centre in St. John's, NL.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 11, 2019
- Fuel Suffer Overtime Loss in Wild Affair with Komets - Indy Fuel
- Oilers Dominate Rush to Start Long Road Trip - Tulsa Oilers
- Mavericks Win Thriller against Cincy, 7-6 in OT - Kansas City Mavericks
- Cyclones Overcome Deficit Late, Fall in Overtime in Weekend Opener - Cincinnati Cyclones
- High Five: 'Blades Shut out Swamp Rabbits, 5-0 - Florida Everblades
- 'Blades Vanquish Swamp Rabbits - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Bligh Stings Former Squad with OT Winner in South Carolina - Atlanta Gladiators
- Comeback Bid Falls Short as Orlando Edges Norfolk - Norfolk Admirals
- Gladiators Surge Past Stingrays in Overtime - South Carolina Stingrays
- Gardiner Records Gordie Howe Hat Trick But K-Wings Fall in Shootout - Kalamazoo Wings
- Monarchs Win, 3-1, against Royals on CHaD Night - Manchester Monarchs
- Nailers Fall to First-Place Grizzlies - Wheeling Nailers
- DiChiara Scores, Royals Drop, 3-1, at Manchester - Reading Royals
- Power and O'Brien Push Growlers Past Thunder - Newfoundland Growlers
- Adirondack Can't Complete Comeback After Digging Big Hole - Adirondack Thunder
- Preview: Everblades Face Greenville in Second Tilt of Three-Game Set - Florida Everblades
- ECHL Transactions - January 11 - ECHL
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Admirals - Orlando Solar Bears
- Allen Americans Game Capsule - Allen Americans
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Kansas City - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Grizzlies in Wheeling Tonight - Utah Grizzlies
- Thunder Closes Road Trip Tonight in Allen - Wichita Thunder
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Admirals, January 11, 2019 - Norfolk Admirals
- Officials Named for 2019 CCM/ECHL All-Star Classic - ECHL
- Nailers vs. Grizzlies Game Day Snap Shot, January 11 - Wheeling Nailers
- Bajkov Recalled to AHL Springfield by Florida Panthers - Florida Everblades
- Game Day: Royals Defense Looks for Continued Mastery at Manchester - Reading Royals
- Game Day: Home Portion of 2019 Kicks off Friday Night vs. Brampton - Kalamazoo Wings
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Adirondack Thunder Stories
- Adirondack's Season Ends with Game 5 Loss to Manchester
- Thunder Extend Season with Dramatic Come-From-Behind Win in Game 4
- Six Unanswered Lead Monarchs to 2-0 Series Lead
- Thunder Drop First Game of Series to Monarchs by 4-2 Final
- Logan Thompson Signs PTO with Binghamton Devils