DiChiara Scores, Royals Drop, 3-1, at Manchester
Manchester, NH - Reading Royals forward Frank DiChiara scored a power-play goal in the third period, the only strike on Charles Williams (39 saves) in a 3-1 loss to the Manchester Monarchs Friday at SNHU Arena.
Reading flipped 13 shots on goal in the first and another 14 in the second. DiChiara scored on Reading's 35th shot, giving him a professional-best ten goals. In his rookie season, he had nine for Worcester. The second-year professional is one of five Royals to reach double-digit goals.
Callum Booth allowed two goals in the last half of the first period and suffered defeat despite 35 saves. Reading and Manchester face each other again next Wed., Jan. 16 at 7:00 p.m. for a postgame autograph session at Santander Arena, pres. by Rieck's Printing.
The Royals hit the halfway mark of the regular season at Worcester Sat., Jan. 12 at 7:05 p.m.
Manchester's Joe Sullivan scored the game's first goal with 9:05 left in the opening frame. He motored behind Reading's cage and curled to the left post. While inside the left circle, he turned his body to the net and shot it over Booth's glove. Craig Wyzomirski and Joe Nevins assisted. Eight minutes later, Tony Cameranesi split the Royals defense on a feed from Spencer Watson and shoved it in at the left post to make it 2-0 Manchester.
Williams made his first two saves of the second period on breakaways. He first stopped Kevin Goumas short-handed with a five-hole save. Next, he flashed the glove to block Adam Schmidt at even strength. Booth denied all eight Monarchs shots in the second.
Travis Walsh scored a power-play goal at 4:50 of the third on a shot from the left circle.
Reading scored its first goal and cut the Manchester lead to two with a power-play goal from DiChiara at 12:45 of the third. Standing at the base of the right circle, he received a pass from Kevin Goumas and quickly muscled it by Williams short side. Jack Riley received the secondary assist.
Manchester finished 1-for-5 on the man up and the Royals had one goal on three opportunities.
Next home games
The Royals host three home games next week, starting Wed., Jan. 16 at 7:00 p.m. vs. Manchester with postgame player autographs, pres. by Rieck's Printing.
On Fri., Jan. 18 at 7:00 p.m., the Royals battle Brampton on Pucks 'N Paws Night with the annual wiener dog races.
Sat., Jan. 19 against Wheeling (7:00 p.m.) is a Family Four Pack game, Mascot Mania and Reading's Pediatric Cancer Awareness game with a mini-THON dance party. Get four burgers, four sodas and four sodas for $48. The first 2,500 fans will receive a PA Lottery Voucher, pres., by the PA Lottery. Plus, enter for a chance to win a 2017 Toyota Camry, courtesy of AutoRide of Reading. After the game, join Royals players at the DoubleTree across the street for a party at Cheers! Restaurant.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 11, 2019
- Fuel Suffer Overtime Loss in Wild Affair with Komets - Indy Fuel
- Oilers Dominate Rush to Start Long Road Trip - Tulsa Oilers
- Mavericks Win Thriller against Cincy, 7-6 in OT - Kansas City Mavericks
- Cyclones Overcome Deficit Late, Fall in Overtime in Weekend Opener - Cincinnati Cyclones
- High Five: 'Blades Shut out Swamp Rabbits, 5-0 - Florida Everblades
- 'Blades Vanquish Swamp Rabbits - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Bligh Stings Former Squad with OT Winner in South Carolina - Atlanta Gladiators
- Comeback Bid Falls Short as Orlando Edges Norfolk - Norfolk Admirals
- Gladiators Surge Past Stingrays in Overtime - South Carolina Stingrays
- Gardiner Records Gordie Howe Hat Trick But K-Wings Fall in Shootout - Kalamazoo Wings
- Monarchs Win, 3-1, against Royals on CHaD Night - Manchester Monarchs
- Nailers Fall to First-Place Grizzlies - Wheeling Nailers
- DiChiara Scores, Royals Drop, 3-1, at Manchester - Reading Royals
- Power and O'Brien Push Growlers Past Thunder - Newfoundland Growlers
- Adirondack Can't Complete Comeback After Digging Big Hole - Adirondack Thunder
- Preview: Everblades Face Greenville in Second Tilt of Three-Game Set - Florida Everblades
- ECHL Transactions - January 11 - ECHL
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Admirals - Orlando Solar Bears
- Allen Americans Game Capsule - Allen Americans
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Kansas City - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Grizzlies in Wheeling Tonight - Utah Grizzlies
- Thunder Closes Road Trip Tonight in Allen - Wichita Thunder
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Admirals, January 11, 2019 - Norfolk Admirals
- Officials Named for 2019 CCM/ECHL All-Star Classic - ECHL
- Nailers vs. Grizzlies Game Day Snap Shot, January 11 - Wheeling Nailers
- Bajkov Recalled to AHL Springfield by Florida Panthers - Florida Everblades
- Game Day: Royals Defense Looks for Continued Mastery at Manchester - Reading Royals
- Game Day: Home Portion of 2019 Kicks off Friday Night vs. Brampton - Kalamazoo Wings
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.