High Five: 'Blades Shut out Swamp Rabbits, 5-0
ESTERO, Fla. - Kyle Platzer netted his second multi-goal game of the season, Jeremy Helvig stopped 24 shots in his first professional shutout, and the Florida Everblades knocked off the Greenville Swamp Rabbits, 5-0, on Friday night at Hertz Arena.
Leading by a goal after the first period, the Everblades (25-7-5-0, 55 pts.) scored four times in the second period to cushion their lead on the way to their 13th straight win against the Swamp Rabbits (14-21-3-2, 33 pts.).
The 'Blades wasted no time getting on the board, scoring 17 seconds into the game. Greenville goaltender Garrett Bartus tried playing the puck behind the net but sent it right to Florida forward Mitch Vandergunst on the right wing. As Vandergunst got the puck, he threw it on net, and it deflected off traffic in front to Platzer. Platzer picked up the loose puck in the slot and rifled it past a flailing Bartus for the 'Blades fastest goal to start a game this season.
It took more than 20 minutes, but Florida added to its lead with a goal from Shane Walsh at 6:45 of the second period. Walsh started the play by sending a pass to Logan Roe, who was crossing the offensive blue line. Roe darted into the zone and sent it back to Walsh in the left circle for a wrist shot that beat Bartus' glove hand.
Right on the heels of a successful penalty kill, Matt Finn darted out of the penalty box to score the third of the night. After serving his minor penalty, Finn busted out of the box and received a breakout pass from Joe Cox. Finn made a head fake right and deke to the left and tucked the puck behind Bartus at the 11:45 mark of the second period.
Florida then added another at 14:21 of the middle period on Platzer's second of the night and 13th of the season. Platzer followed up Roe's initial blast from the point with a shot from the left circle. His initial try clanged off the left post, but he stayed with the play and chipped in the rebound, giving him 11 points (4g-7a) in his last six games.
The 'Blades capped the scoring with 56 seconds to play in the second with a goal from Justin Auger, his 10th tally in just 18 games. Roe created the scoring chance by angling to the front of the net from the right circle. Bartus managed to keep out Roe's attempt, but Auger found the loose puck at the side of the open net and shoveled it in to increase his point streak to nine games (6g-4a).
Roe continued his offensive tear with a career-high three assists. He finished as a +5 in the game to add to his league-leading plus-minus rating of +36.
With the shutout win, Helvig moved his individual win streak to eight games, a 'Blades season-high. He hasn't lost in regulation in 11 games.
Florida finishes the three-game series with Greenville and a six-game homestand with the series finale on Saturday at 7 p.m.
Single-game tickets for all regular season home games are on sale now!
Ticket packages for the 2018-19 season are still on sale! Become part of the Everblades Family with a Partial Season or a Flexible Voucher Package that fits your schedule and budget! All Ticket & Voucher Packages provide savings and special benefits!
SPECIAL OFFER! Purchase a new ticket package for the 2018-19 season and receive a $20 gift card to Ford's Garage and an Everblades tote bag!
Private Arena Tours are also available to select your 2018-19 season seats! Call the Everblades office at 239-948-7825 to schedule your tour today!
Images from this story
Justin Auger and the Florida Everblades celebrate Auger's goal against the Greenville Swamp Rabbits
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 11, 2019
- Fuel Suffer Overtime Loss in Wild Affair with Komets - Indy Fuel
- Oilers Dominate Rush to Start Long Road Trip - Tulsa Oilers
- Mavericks Win Thriller against Cincy, 7-6 in OT - Kansas City Mavericks
- Cyclones Overcome Deficit Late, Fall in Overtime in Weekend Opener - Cincinnati Cyclones
- High Five: 'Blades Shut out Swamp Rabbits, 5-0 - Florida Everblades
- 'Blades Vanquish Swamp Rabbits - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Bligh Stings Former Squad with OT Winner in South Carolina - Atlanta Gladiators
- Comeback Bid Falls Short as Orlando Edges Norfolk - Norfolk Admirals
- Gladiators Surge Past Stingrays in Overtime - South Carolina Stingrays
- Gardiner Records Gordie Howe Hat Trick But K-Wings Fall in Shootout - Kalamazoo Wings
- Monarchs Win, 3-1, against Royals on CHaD Night - Manchester Monarchs
- Nailers Fall to First-Place Grizzlies - Wheeling Nailers
- DiChiara Scores, Royals Drop, 3-1, at Manchester - Reading Royals
- Power and O'Brien Push Growlers Past Thunder - Newfoundland Growlers
- Adirondack Can't Complete Comeback After Digging Big Hole - Adirondack Thunder
- Preview: Everblades Face Greenville in Second Tilt of Three-Game Set - Florida Everblades
- ECHL Transactions - January 11 - ECHL
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Admirals - Orlando Solar Bears
- Allen Americans Game Capsule - Allen Americans
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Kansas City - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Grizzlies in Wheeling Tonight - Utah Grizzlies
- Thunder Closes Road Trip Tonight in Allen - Wichita Thunder
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Admirals, January 11, 2019 - Norfolk Admirals
- Officials Named for 2019 CCM/ECHL All-Star Classic - ECHL
- Nailers vs. Grizzlies Game Day Snap Shot, January 11 - Wheeling Nailers
- Bajkov Recalled to AHL Springfield by Florida Panthers - Florida Everblades
- Game Day: Royals Defense Looks for Continued Mastery at Manchester - Reading Royals
- Game Day: Home Portion of 2019 Kicks off Friday Night vs. Brampton - Kalamazoo Wings
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Florida Everblades Stories
- 'Blades Battle to Earn Point in Shootout Loss to Solar Bears
- Preview: 'Blades Host Solar Bears in Lone Game of Week
- 'Blades Sign Forward Slater Doggett
- 'Blades Weekly: Single Game Pits Florida against Orlando
- Stingrays Withstand Everblades' Comeback to Win Series Finale