Nailers Fall to First-Place Grizzlies
WHEELING, WV- The Utah Grizzlies currently sit in first place in the Mountain Division, and on Friday night, they played a strong road game at WesBanco Arena. J.T. Henke and Travis Barron both tallied a goal and an assist, while Kevin Carr turned aside all 30 shots he faced, as the Grizzlies blanked the Wheeling Nailers, 3-0.
The first period was evenly played, but the lone goal went to Utah, who scored off the rush. Tim McGauley fed a pass into the slot for J.T. Henke, who whipped a shot into the top-left corner of the cage.
The Grizzlies added to their lead in the middle frame, cashing in on a power play. Ryan Walters played the puck off the left wing wall, before tossing a pass into the slot, where Travis Barron converted on a one-timer, finding the bottom-right corner of the net. Barron and Henke factored into both of the opening tallies for Utah.
Jake Marchment tacked on an empty netter in the final minute, putting the finishing touches on the 3-0 win for the visitors.
Kevin Carr was perfect on 30 shots, earning the shutout for the Grizzlies. John Muse made 20 saves on 22 shots for Wheeling.
The Nailers will continue their three-game home weekend on Saturday night at 7:05 against the Indy Fuel. Saturday is Nickelodeon Night Featuring SpongeBob & Patrick, and both teams will be wearing special jerseys. Thanks to WTRF-7, Family Four Packs are available, in which fans can purchase four tickets, four hats, and four McDonald's Meal Vouchers for $60. The Wheeling Nailers, considered one of the top things to do in Wheeling, West Virginia, provide affordable family entertainment for fans throughout the Ohio Valley. For information on season tickets, group tickets, flex plans, and more, call (304) 234-GOAL.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 11, 2019
- Fuel Suffer Overtime Loss in Wild Affair with Komets - Indy Fuel
- Oilers Dominate Rush to Start Long Road Trip - Tulsa Oilers
- Mavericks Win Thriller against Cincy, 7-6 in OT - Kansas City Mavericks
- Cyclones Overcome Deficit Late, Fall in Overtime in Weekend Opener - Cincinnati Cyclones
- High Five: 'Blades Shut out Swamp Rabbits, 5-0 - Florida Everblades
- 'Blades Vanquish Swamp Rabbits - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Bligh Stings Former Squad with OT Winner in South Carolina - Atlanta Gladiators
- Comeback Bid Falls Short as Orlando Edges Norfolk - Norfolk Admirals
- Gladiators Surge Past Stingrays in Overtime - South Carolina Stingrays
- Gardiner Records Gordie Howe Hat Trick But K-Wings Fall in Shootout - Kalamazoo Wings
- Monarchs Win, 3-1, against Royals on CHaD Night - Manchester Monarchs
- Nailers Fall to First-Place Grizzlies - Wheeling Nailers
- DiChiara Scores, Royals Drop, 3-1, at Manchester - Reading Royals
- Power and O'Brien Push Growlers Past Thunder - Newfoundland Growlers
- Adirondack Can't Complete Comeback After Digging Big Hole - Adirondack Thunder
- Preview: Everblades Face Greenville in Second Tilt of Three-Game Set - Florida Everblades
- ECHL Transactions - January 11 - ECHL
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Admirals - Orlando Solar Bears
- Allen Americans Game Capsule - Allen Americans
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Kansas City - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Grizzlies in Wheeling Tonight - Utah Grizzlies
- Thunder Closes Road Trip Tonight in Allen - Wichita Thunder
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Admirals, January 11, 2019 - Norfolk Admirals
- Officials Named for 2019 CCM/ECHL All-Star Classic - ECHL
- Nailers vs. Grizzlies Game Day Snap Shot, January 11 - Wheeling Nailers
- Bajkov Recalled to AHL Springfield by Florida Panthers - Florida Everblades
- Game Day: Royals Defense Looks for Continued Mastery at Manchester - Reading Royals
- Game Day: Home Portion of 2019 Kicks off Friday Night vs. Brampton - Kalamazoo Wings
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.