Comeback Bid Falls Short as Orlando Edges Norfolk
NORFOLK, VA - Orlando's Kevin Lohan scored a goal in the second period that proved to be the game winner Friday Night at Scope as the Orlando Solar Bears defeated the Norfolk Admirals 4-2.
Orlando got on the board first with a goal from Dylan Fitze. Chris Leblanc was able to keep the puck in the Norfolk end after a failed clear. Leblanc fired a shot from the point that was tipped by Fitze that beat Madsen on the glove side to give Orlando a 1-0 lead at 2:44 of the first period.
The Solar Bears added another goal from Jonne Tammela. Matheiu Foget skated into the Norfolk zone on the left side. Foget passed the puck across the ice which was tipped by an Admirals defender. The puck ricocheted to the feet of Tammela who put it past Madsen to extend the Orlando lead to 2-0.
Orlando added another goal from Kevin Lohan in the second period of play. Rob Mann shot the puck from the point after it was dumped into the Norfolk end. Mann's shot was tipped on the way to the net by Lohan to give Orlando a 3-0 lead.
Norfolk cut into the Orlando lead with a goal from Ben Duffy. Don Oliveri was able to keep the puck in the Orlando zone after a faceoff win. Oliveri passed the puck to Kelly Klima in the left corner. Klima fed the puck to Duffy in front of the net where he went from his forehand to his backhand and slid the puck under Corbin Boes to cut the Orlando lead to 3-1 at 9:15 of the second period.
Norfolk would add another goal from Darik Angeli on the power play, but it's as close as they would get. Taylor Cammarata played a pass between the circle for T.J. Melancon. Melancon played the puck over to Darik Angeli who one-timed a shot behind Boes to cut the Orlando lead to 3-2.
Despite the comeback effort, Orlando would add a late empty-net goal to secure the 4-2 victory.
Merrick Madsen made 23 saves on 26 shots and takes the setback for Norfolk while Corbin Boes made 27 saves on 29 shots and gets the win for Orlando.
The two teams will meet again on Saturday at Scope beginning at 7:00 p.m. Promotional information provided below.
Upcoming Home Games & Promotions
Saturday, January 12, vs, Orlando, 7:00 p.m. -- Sci-Fi /Zombie Night. Dress up as your favorite sci-fi character, or zombie! In addition, Come early to watch ODU and Regent University battle it out on Scope Ice at 1:00 p.m. The event is part of a fundraiser to benefit the Wounded Warrior Project. A ticket to Saturday's Admirals game will get you into the ODU-Regent game for free!
Coming Soon: Pink in the Rink presented by Cavalier Auto Group, takes place on Saturday, January 19 against Jacksonville. The game will be played on pink ice and the team will wear pink jerseys. Wear your pink to help us raise awareness for breast cancer prevention and research. There will free be post game "Frozen Yoga" on the ice after the game courtesy of Sky's the Limit Yoga.
Admirals Ticket Information
Single Game Tickets may be purchased at the Scope Box Office, or online at Ticketmaster.com
Discounted Group Tickets: Bring your group of 10 or more to a game at a discounted price! Group tickets are available for all home games. Fundraising opportunities are also available.
2018-19 Ticket Packages are Currently on Sale! The Admirals offer flexible partial plans that will best fit your schedule and budget!
For more information regarding ticket options, or Norfolk Admirals Hockey, visit NorfolkAdmirals.com or call the Admirals office at (757) 640-1212!
Images from this story
Norfolk Admirals goaltender Merrick Madsen scrambles against the Orlando Solar Bears
(Paul Jensen Photography)
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 11, 2019
- Fuel Suffer Overtime Loss in Wild Affair with Komets - Indy Fuel
- Oilers Dominate Rush to Start Long Road Trip - Tulsa Oilers
- Mavericks Win Thriller against Cincy, 7-6 in OT - Kansas City Mavericks
- Cyclones Overcome Deficit Late, Fall in Overtime in Weekend Opener - Cincinnati Cyclones
- High Five: 'Blades Shut out Swamp Rabbits, 5-0 - Florida Everblades
- 'Blades Vanquish Swamp Rabbits - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Bligh Stings Former Squad with OT Winner in South Carolina - Atlanta Gladiators
- Comeback Bid Falls Short as Orlando Edges Norfolk - Norfolk Admirals
- Gladiators Surge Past Stingrays in Overtime - South Carolina Stingrays
- Gardiner Records Gordie Howe Hat Trick But K-Wings Fall in Shootout - Kalamazoo Wings
- Monarchs Win, 3-1, against Royals on CHaD Night - Manchester Monarchs
- Nailers Fall to First-Place Grizzlies - Wheeling Nailers
- DiChiara Scores, Royals Drop, 3-1, at Manchester - Reading Royals
- Power and O'Brien Push Growlers Past Thunder - Newfoundland Growlers
- Adirondack Can't Complete Comeback After Digging Big Hole - Adirondack Thunder
- Preview: Everblades Face Greenville in Second Tilt of Three-Game Set - Florida Everblades
- ECHL Transactions - January 11 - ECHL
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Admirals - Orlando Solar Bears
- Allen Americans Game Capsule - Allen Americans
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Kansas City - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Grizzlies in Wheeling Tonight - Utah Grizzlies
- Thunder Closes Road Trip Tonight in Allen - Wichita Thunder
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Admirals, January 11, 2019 - Norfolk Admirals
- Officials Named for 2019 CCM/ECHL All-Star Classic - ECHL
- Nailers vs. Grizzlies Game Day Snap Shot, January 11 - Wheeling Nailers
- Bajkov Recalled to AHL Springfield by Florida Panthers - Florida Everblades
- Game Day: Royals Defense Looks for Continued Mastery at Manchester - Reading Royals
- Game Day: Home Portion of 2019 Kicks off Friday Night vs. Brampton - Kalamazoo Wings
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.