Game Preview: Solar Bears vs. IceMen
WHO: Orlando Solar Bears vs. Jacksonville Icemen
VENUE: Jewett Orthopaedic Rink at Amway Center, Orlando, Fla.
DATE: Thursday, Dec. 5 at 7 p.m.
LISTEN: OSB Radio via Facebook, Mixlr and TuneIn
Thirsty Thursday, presented by Coors Light - fans can take advantage of $5 domestic draft beers during the game.
TONIGHT: The Orlando Solar Bears (6-9-3-1) take on the Jacksonville Icemen (14-2-0-0) for the fourth time out of 11 total meetings this season. The Solar Bears are off to a 3-0-0-0 start against the Icemen this season, and have outscored Jacksonville by an 11-3 margin. Tonight's game marks the start of a three-in-three set that concludes with back-to-back matches against the Atlanta Gladiators.
LIPANOV LEADS THE WAY: Rookie forward Alexey Lipanov leads the Solar Bears with three goals against the Icemen this season. The Tampa Bay Lightning prospect posted offensive totals against Jacksonville with relative ease since joining Orlando this past spring, as he has six points (4g-2a) in four career games against the Icemen.
KESSEL CONTRIBUTING TO POWER PLAY: Blake Kessel's power-play goal in Monday's win over South Carolina gave the veteran blueliner his 23rd career point earned on the man advantage with the Solar Bears, pushing him past Brenden Miller for sole possession of most career power-play points by a defenseman in team history. Kessel is currently tied with Max Novak for fifth in team history, behind only Joe Perry (24), Jacob Cepis (27), Denver Manderson (30) and Eric Faille (33).
CRAWFORD RETURNS TO LINEUP TONIGHT: Defenseman Marcus Crawford was activated from the reserve list on Wednesday and is expected to play tonight while paired with Kevin Lohan. Crawford has one assist in eight games this season for Orlando and last suited up on Nov. 23 at Utah.
SCOUTING THE OPPONENT: The Icemen faced the Florida Everblades last night at home, resulting in a 3-2 shootout win that saw their point streak extended to four games (3-0-1-0). Montreal Canadiens goaltending prospect Michael McNiven recently wrapped up a busy month of November for Jacksonville, going 3-2-0 in five appearances with two shutouts, a 1.21 goals-against average and a save percentage of .962.
Orlando squares off against the Atlanta Gladiators for the first time this season on Friday, Dec. 6 and Saturday, Dec. 7. Saturday's game is also our annual Teddy Bear Toss game - fans are encouraged to bring new or gently used teddy bears or stuffed animals to be thrown onto the ice when the Solar Bears score their first goal of the game.
Purchase tickets for Friday, Dec. 6 vs. Atlanta Gladiators
Purchase tickets for Saturday, Dec. 7 vs. Atlanta Gladiators (Teddy Bear Toss)
Purchase Single-Game Tickets:
Single-game tickets for all Solar Bears home games are now on sale at the Amway Center box office and Ticketmaster.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from December 5, 2019
- IceMen Earn Another Point in 4-3 Overtime Loss at Orlando - Jacksonville IceMen
- Kessel Lifts Solar Bears to 4-3 OT Win over IceMen - Orlando Solar Bears
- Rush Acquire Sakellaropoulos from Norfolk - Rapid City Rush
- Strong Second Period Propels into to 2-1 Win - Indy Fuel
- Cyclones Fall Despite Late Offensive Onslaught - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Forward Tye Felhaber Assigned to Steelheads from Texas Stars - Idaho Steelheads
- Sakellaropoulous Traded to the Rapid City Rush - Norfolk Admirals
- Bakersfield Loans Desharnais to Wichita - Wichita Thunder
- Lightning Reassign Huntington to Solar Bears - Orlando Solar Bears
- ECHL Transactions - December 5 - ECHL
- 'Blades Trade for Goaltender, Receive Maclise Back from AHL Loan - Florida Everblades
- ECHL Announces Suspension - ECHL
- Utah Grizzlies Teddy Bear Toss 2019 Friday - Utah Grizzlies
- Marcinew, MacPherson Recalled by Springfield - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Gaudreau Loaned to Reading from Stockton - Reading Royals
- Atlanta's Late Rally Falls Short against 'Rays - Atlanta Gladiators
- Game Preview: Solar Bears vs. IceMen - Orlando Solar Bears
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Indy Fuel - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Quenneville Named Victoria's Garden Player of the Month - Rapid City Rush
- 2020 Warrior ECHL All-Star Classic to be Televised Nationally Live on NHL Network - Wichita Thunder
- 2020 Warrior/ECHL All-Star Classic to be Televised Nationally Live on NHL Network - ECHL
- Sean Day Reassigned to Mariners - Maine Mariners
- Game Day Capsule: Allen at Idaho - Allen Americans
- Americans Hold on for 6-4 Win in Idaho - Allen Americans
- Early Goals Set Back Steelheads in 6-4 Loss to Americans - Idaho Steelheads
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.