Fresno Grizzlies to Extend Safety Netting at Chukchansi Park
FRESNO, Calif. - The Fresno Grizzlies, Triple-A Pacific Coast League affiliate of the Washington Nationals, have announced plans to extend the safety netting at Chukchansi Park to each foul pole for the beginning of the 2020 season. The project continues ongoing capital improvements to the Grizzlies' home, which have also included "Fresno Social" (left field), "Splash Park" presented by Community Medical Centers (right field) and the "Kodiak Club" presented by KY Farming.
Prior to the 2018 season, the netting at Chukchansi Park was expanded to the end of each dugout. For 2019, that dugout netting was raised, protecting even more fans in the lower seating bowl from foul balls. The Grizzlies are following the lead of their Major League parent club; last month the Washington Nationals were one of the first MLB teams to announce plans to extend netting to each foul pole.
"This is ultimately about being proactive, our dugout netting has certainly made the ballpark a safer place for fans that wish to sit close to the field," said Fresno Grizzlies President Derek Franks. "Now, we want fans sitting down each foul line to enjoy that view of the ballpark without worrying about their safety, or the safety of their loved ones."
"Of course all fans should keep an eye on the ball, but Chukchansi Park is a place to socialize and have fun - increased safely measures absolutely improves the ballpark experience," Franks continued.
The project is currently being designed in a way to not interfere with fans' view of the game, and will be completed in time for Opening Day 2020 at Chukchansi Park, on April 14.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from July 16, 2019
- Express Fly Past Redbirds 4-1 - Round Rock Express
- Round Rock Tops Memphis, 4-1 - Memphis Redbirds
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions vs. Nashville Sounds - San Antonio Missions
- Mills Recalled by Chicago - Iowa Cubs
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (40-54) vs. San Antonio Missions (59-36) - Nashville Sounds
- Lopes Belts Homer, Rainiers Shut out Las Vegas in Pitchers' Duel on Tuesday - Tacoma Rainiers
- Redbirds, Walmart Partner to Give out School Supplies on "Back to School Night" - Memphis Redbirds
- Fresno Grizzlies to Extend Safety Netting at Chukchansi Park - Fresno Grizzlies
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (38-57) at Round Rock Express (55-40) - Memphis Redbirds
- Sounds Return Home Friday for Six-Game, Seven-Day Homestand - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes vs. El Paso - Reno Aces
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - July 16, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Saturday MVP Field Day to Cap 2019 OKC Dodgers MVP Program Presented by Devon Energy - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Ninth Inning Rally Comes up Short - Salt Lake Bees
- River Cats hang on for wild win in Salt Lake - Sacramento River Cats
- Koch Keeps Chichuahuas Quiet - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Lopes Goes Yard, Tacoma's Winning Streak Snapped by Vegas in Opener - Tacoma Rainiers
- Matt Koch Shines in Aces Homestand Opener - Reno Aces
- Missions Top Chasers 9-5 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Memphis Edges Round Rock 8-6 in Series Opener - Round Rock Express
- 'Cakes Come from Behind and Beat Omaha - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Fresno loses Monday's series-opener at Albuquerque - Fresno Grizzlies
- Isotopes Down Grizzlies 6-2 in Series Opener - Albuquerque Isotopes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.