Express Fly Past Redbirds 4-1
ROUND ROCK, Texas - The Round Rock Express (56-40) soared past the Memphis Redbirds (38-58) by a final score of 4-1 in a dominant game two of their current four-game series on Tuesday night at Dell Diamond. E-Train RHP Cy Sneed (6-6, 4.07) led the way as he threw 7.0 scoreless innings in his first game after returning from a stint with the Houston Astros.
Sneed's dazzling performance earned him his sixth win of the season. The righty allowed only five hits and one walk while fanning seven Redbirds to propel the shutout performance. On the losing side, RHP Jake Woodford (5-6, 3.70) suffered the loss after allowing four runs on six hits and four walks in a 6.0 inning start.
E-Train C Garrett Stubbs got the team on the board in the second inning as he sent a fly ball into deep left field. The shot bounced off the top of the left field fence for a home run that would also plate 2B Alex De Goti, who had worked a walk the previous at-bat.
The next frame, DH Derek Fisher kept his bat red-hot with a leadoff solo shot that extended Round Rock's lead to 3-0. The Express kept the train rolling with a fifth-inning double off the bat of 3B Jack Mayfield. The runner later advanced to third on a Fisher groundout and trotted home when LF Taylor Jones sent a single into left field.
With RHP Colin McKee on the mound in the ninth, 1B John Nogowski spoiled the shutout with a solo home run. However, a last-minute comeback proved to be far out of reach for Memphis. McKee ultimately retired the final three Redbirds batters to settle a 4-1 Express victory.
Round Rock and Memphis battle in game three on Tuesday night. E-Train RHP Akeem Bostick (4-4, 6.68) is slated to start on the mound while the 'Birds plan to counter with RHP Mike Hauschild (0-2, 8.22). First pitch at Dell Diamond is scheduled for 7:05 p.m.
For more information on the Express, visit RRExpress.com or call (512) 255-2255. Keep up with the Express on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter, and join the conversation during our historic 20th season using #20STROng.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from July 16, 2019
- Express Fly Past Redbirds 4-1 - Round Rock Express
- Round Rock Tops Memphis, 4-1 - Memphis Redbirds
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions vs. Nashville Sounds - San Antonio Missions
- Mills Recalled by Chicago - Iowa Cubs
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (40-54) vs. San Antonio Missions (59-36) - Nashville Sounds
- Lopes Belts Homer, Rainiers Shut out Las Vegas in Pitchers' Duel on Tuesday - Tacoma Rainiers
- Redbirds, Walmart Partner to Give out School Supplies on "Back to School Night" - Memphis Redbirds
- Fresno Grizzlies to Extend Safety Netting at Chukchansi Park - Fresno Grizzlies
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (38-57) at Round Rock Express (55-40) - Memphis Redbirds
- Sounds Return Home Friday for Six-Game, Seven-Day Homestand - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes vs. El Paso - Reno Aces
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - July 16, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Saturday MVP Field Day to Cap 2019 OKC Dodgers MVP Program Presented by Devon Energy - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Ninth Inning Rally Comes up Short - Salt Lake Bees
- River Cats hang on for wild win in Salt Lake - Sacramento River Cats
- Koch Keeps Chichuahuas Quiet - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Lopes Goes Yard, Tacoma's Winning Streak Snapped by Vegas in Opener - Tacoma Rainiers
- Matt Koch Shines in Aces Homestand Opener - Reno Aces
- Missions Top Chasers 9-5 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Memphis Edges Round Rock 8-6 in Series Opener - Round Rock Express
- 'Cakes Come from Behind and Beat Omaha - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Fresno loses Monday's series-opener at Albuquerque - Fresno Grizzlies
- Isotopes Down Grizzlies 6-2 in Series Opener - Albuquerque Isotopes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.