Matt Koch Shines in Aces Homestand Opener
Reno, NV. - Matt Koch shined tonight in the Aces 9-2 win over the El Paso Chihuahuas. The righty did not walk a batter over eight innings pitched, allowing one run, on six hits to go with two strikeouts during his second win of the season. It is the longest outing for Reno this season and longest since Braden Shipley went eight innings against Round Rock on May 16, 2017. Andy Young got the scoring going for the Biggest Little City with an RBI-single in the fourth to tie the game at one. Yasmany Tomas followed Young up a few batters later with his 27th big fly of the year, a three-run shot to left to give the home team a 4-1 lead. In the bottom of the seventh, the team added two insurance runs on RBIs from Wilmer Flores and Travis Snider. Caleb Joseph had an RBI-double in the eighth and Flores added two more RBIs to his total on a single. Juniel Querecuto had a three-hit performance, including two doubles, to extend his hitting streak to 14 games. The win snaps a three-game losing streak improving the club's record to 41-53. Catch the squad back in action tomorrow night for the completion of April 15th's suspended game starting at 5:35 p.m. PT and then the regularly scheduled game at 7:05 p.m. PT.
Top Performers - Reno
Wilmer Flores (2-for-4, 3 RBI)
Juniel Querecuto (3-for-5, 2 2B, 2 R)
Matt Koch (W, 8.0 IP, 6 H, 1 R, 0 BB, 3 K)
Top Performers - Tacoma
Travis Jankowski (2-for-4)
Matthew Batten (1-for-3, RBI)
Esteban Quiroz (1-for-3, 2B, R)
DAY DATE OPPONENT PROBABLE PITCHERS TIME (PT) (PT) RADIO/TV
Tuesday July 16 El Paso Chihuahuas Game 1: TBD vs. TBD Game 2: RHP Ben Lively vs. LHP Jerry Keel 5:35 p.m. 7:05 p.m. KPLY 630 AM
Notes & Information
Kochin': Matt Koch had his best start of the season tonight going eight innings and allowing just one run on six hits. The last Aces pitcher to go eight innings was Braden Shipley on 5/16/17 in a win against Round Rock. He gave up no runs on three hits that day. Koch has thrown eight innings twice in his career prior to tonight with the last coming on May 11, 2018 when he earned a loss against the Washington Nationals allowing three earned runs on seven hits.
JQ: Juniel Querecuto recorded his team-leading 11th three-hit game of the season tonight. He had nine three-hit games in 2018 for Reno. His season-high for hits came on June 7th against Memphis. His career high for hits in a game was five coming on 7/12/18 on the road in El Paso.
MLB Rehab: Arizona Diamondbacks infielder Wilmer Flores made his first rehab appearance for the Aces tonight. He went 2-for-4 with three RBIs on the night while playing first base. He made a nice diving grab and doubled the runner off of first for an unassisted double play, but did have a fielding error in the game.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from July 16, 2019
- Express Fly Past Redbirds 4-1 - Round Rock Express
- Round Rock Tops Memphis, 4-1 - Memphis Redbirds
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions vs. Nashville Sounds - San Antonio Missions
- Mills Recalled by Chicago - Iowa Cubs
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (40-54) vs. San Antonio Missions (59-36) - Nashville Sounds
- Lopes Belts Homer, Rainiers Shut out Las Vegas in Pitchers' Duel on Tuesday - Tacoma Rainiers
- Redbirds, Walmart Partner to Give out School Supplies on "Back to School Night" - Memphis Redbirds
- Fresno Grizzlies to Extend Safety Netting at Chukchansi Park - Fresno Grizzlies
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (38-57) at Round Rock Express (55-40) - Memphis Redbirds
- Sounds Return Home Friday for Six-Game, Seven-Day Homestand - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes vs. El Paso - Reno Aces
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - July 16, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Saturday MVP Field Day to Cap 2019 OKC Dodgers MVP Program Presented by Devon Energy - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Ninth Inning Rally Comes up Short - Salt Lake Bees
- River Cats hang on for wild win in Salt Lake - Sacramento River Cats
- Koch Keeps Chichuahuas Quiet - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Lopes Goes Yard, Tacoma's Winning Streak Snapped by Vegas in Opener - Tacoma Rainiers
- Matt Koch Shines in Aces Homestand Opener - Reno Aces
- Missions Top Chasers 9-5 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Memphis Edges Round Rock 8-6 in Series Opener - Round Rock Express
- 'Cakes Come from Behind and Beat Omaha - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Fresno loses Monday's series-opener at Albuquerque - Fresno Grizzlies
- Isotopes Down Grizzlies 6-2 in Series Opener - Albuquerque Isotopes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Reno Aces Stories
- 2020 Minor League Baseball Season Canceled
- Reno Aces, Reno 1868 FC Share Support of Greater Nevada Credit Union
- Aces and 1868 FC Corporate Partners Offer Business and Job Opportunities
- 4.9.20 Reno Aces Release City Pride On-Field "BLC" Cap
- Greater Nevada Field to Host Food Bank of Northern Nevada