Game Notes vs. El Paso
The Aces go for back-to-back wins tonight with righty Ben Lively on the mound who will be making his Greater Nevada Field debut. Lively has appeared in three games this season for Reno, all on the road, since being acquired from Kansas City in late June. The Central Florida alum has been solid thus far holding a 2.61 ERA in 10.1 innings pitched for the Biggest Little City. However, his longest start in an Aces uniform has been just 4.1 innings which came in his last outing against Tacoma where he earned a no-decision. If Lively needs to be pulled early, the bullpen is in a great spot after Matt Koch's stellar eight innings a night ago. El Paso will send lefty Jerry Keel to the hill who is looking for his third win of the season against Reno alone. He won back-to-back starts against the Aces on April 14 and 19. During those starts, he was a combined 2-0 over 12 innings while allowing two runs on nine hits with seven strikeouts but walked 10. The Aces are 10-19 this season against left-hander starting pitchers.
Two Street Tacos for $5.00 with three choices of beef, chicken, or pork. Combo Deal: Two Street Tacos and 12oz. Tecate for $8.00.
Bark in the Park
Bring your furry best friend to the stadium with valid vaccination paperwork!
$5.00 Standing Room Only Ticket *Available at Ticket Office Only
What is Going On?: At 5:30 p.m., the Aces and Chihuahuas will continue their suspended game from April 15 due to a travel curfew. El Paso had a flight that they needed to catch on the 15th which caused the game to be suspended. The current score is 5-5 in the top of the 11th. Kevin Cron hit a three-run game-tying home run to send the game to extras that day. Per Pacific Coast League rules, players that are no longer on the roster can be replaced by new ones. However, if a player has already been subbed out and is still on the roster, they cannot re-enter the game. The regularly scheduled game tonight cannot start prior to 7:05 p.m. PT.
Kochin': Matt Koch had his best start of the season yesterday going eight innings and allowing just one run on six hits. The last Aces pitcher to go eight innings was Braden Shipley on 5/16/17 in a win against Round Rock. He gave up no runs on three hits that day. Koch has thrown eight innings twice in his career prior to Monday with the last coming on May 11, 2018 when he earned a loss against the Washington Nationals allowing three earned runs on seven hits. The previous longest start of the season in 2019 for the Aces came on June 15 when Shipley went seven innings against Round Rock on the road.
Wilmer Watch: Arizona Diamondbacks infielder Wilmer Flores made his first rehab appearance for the Aces Monday night. He went 2-for-4 with three RBIs on the night while playing first base. Flores made a nice diving grab and doubled the runner off first for an unassisted double play, but did have a fielding error in the game.
Happy Birthday, Vargy: Today is Ildemaro Vargas' 28th birthday. The fan favorite is the Aces all-time hit king with 402 base knocks to his name while playing for Reno. He broke the record of 399 set by Cole Gillespie with his 400th hit on July 14, 2019 against Salt Lake. In 294 games played for the Aces over his career, he owns a .321 average and a .367 on-base percentage. Vargas is currently with the Arizona Diamondbacks. In 63 games played this season he is hitting .247 over 158 at-bats with four home runs, 18 RBI, and 20 runs scored while playing all over the infield.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from July 16, 2019
- Express Fly Past Redbirds 4-1 - Round Rock Express
- Round Rock Tops Memphis, 4-1 - Memphis Redbirds
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions vs. Nashville Sounds - San Antonio Missions
- Mills Recalled by Chicago - Iowa Cubs
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (40-54) vs. San Antonio Missions (59-36) - Nashville Sounds
- Lopes Belts Homer, Rainiers Shut out Las Vegas in Pitchers' Duel on Tuesday - Tacoma Rainiers
- Redbirds, Walmart Partner to Give out School Supplies on "Back to School Night" - Memphis Redbirds
- Fresno Grizzlies to Extend Safety Netting at Chukchansi Park - Fresno Grizzlies
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (38-57) at Round Rock Express (55-40) - Memphis Redbirds
- Sounds Return Home Friday for Six-Game, Seven-Day Homestand - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes vs. El Paso - Reno Aces
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - July 16, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Saturday MVP Field Day to Cap 2019 OKC Dodgers MVP Program Presented by Devon Energy - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Ninth Inning Rally Comes up Short - Salt Lake Bees
- River Cats hang on for wild win in Salt Lake - Sacramento River Cats
- Koch Keeps Chichuahuas Quiet - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Lopes Goes Yard, Tacoma's Winning Streak Snapped by Vegas in Opener - Tacoma Rainiers
- Matt Koch Shines in Aces Homestand Opener - Reno Aces
- Missions Top Chasers 9-5 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Memphis Edges Round Rock 8-6 in Series Opener - Round Rock Express
- 'Cakes Come from Behind and Beat Omaha - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Fresno loses Monday's series-opener at Albuquerque - Fresno Grizzlies
- Isotopes Down Grizzlies 6-2 in Series Opener - Albuquerque Isotopes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.