Memphis Edges Round Rock 8-6 in Series Opener
ROUND ROCK, Texas - The Round Rock Express (55-40) fell to the Memphis Redbirds (38-57) by an 8-6 final score in Monday night's back-and-forth contest at Dell Diamond.
Rehabbing Houston Astros SS Carlos Correa and 2B Aledmys Diaz each saw action in the contest. Correa played five innings and ended the night 0-3 with a strikeout. Diaz saw seven innings of action and went 1-4 with a single and a run scored. The second baseman also collected four putouts defensively.
Round Rock RHP Jose Urquidy (3-2, 4.07) suffered the loss after surrendering eight runs on seven hits and a walk in a 5.0-inning start. Memphis RHP Ryan Helsley (2-3, 5.06) earned the win after holding Round Rock to only one hit while striking out four in a 3.0-inning appearance out of the Redbirds bullpen.
Memphis opened scoring in the second inning as a Joe Hudson single was pushed to second on a Johan Mieses walk and later plated thanks to a single off the bat of 2B Kramer Robertson. The remaining trio trotted home the next at-bat as 3B Jose Martinez hit a home run that put the Redbirds ahead 4-0.
Express 3B Nick Tanielu answered back with a multi-run homer of his own in the bottom half of the frame, scoring CF Drew Ferguson, who drew a walk before stealing second base.
The back-and-forth affair continued in the third with solo shot by Redbirds DH Adolis Garcia. In the home half, the E-Train took their first lead of the game. RF Derek Fisher drew a one-out walk and advanced to second on a single from Diaz. 1B Taylor Jones then recorded another base hit to drive in Fisher and push Diaz to second. With a pair of runners on base, CF Drew Ferguson smoked a ground-rule double into the deepest part of right field to plate Diaz. LF Kyle Tucker then knocked in Jones for the go-ahead run with the fourth consecutive hit of the inning.
A pair of Redbirds homers ultimately spoiled the fun in the fifth inning. 3B Jose Martinez led off the frame with a single and raced to second on a wild pitch. CF Randy Arozarena wasted no time plating a pair of runs via a home run that put Memphis ahead 7-6. Garcia then smacked a solo shot out of the park for an insurance run.
The Express hope to notch their first win of the series in Tuesday night's game two. Round Rock RHP Cy Sneed (5-6, 4.48) is slated to start while the Redbirds plan to counter with RHP Jake Woodford (5-5, 3.56). First pitch at Dell Diamond is scheduled for 7:05 p.m.
For more information on the Express, visit RRExpress.com or call (512) 255-2255. Keep up with the Express on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter, and join the conversation during our historic 20th season using #20STROng.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from July 16, 2019
- Express Fly Past Redbirds 4-1 - Round Rock Express
- Round Rock Tops Memphis, 4-1 - Memphis Redbirds
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions vs. Nashville Sounds - San Antonio Missions
- Mills Recalled by Chicago - Iowa Cubs
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (40-54) vs. San Antonio Missions (59-36) - Nashville Sounds
- Lopes Belts Homer, Rainiers Shut out Las Vegas in Pitchers' Duel on Tuesday - Tacoma Rainiers
- Redbirds, Walmart Partner to Give out School Supplies on "Back to School Night" - Memphis Redbirds
- Fresno Grizzlies to Extend Safety Netting at Chukchansi Park - Fresno Grizzlies
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (38-57) at Round Rock Express (55-40) - Memphis Redbirds
- Sounds Return Home Friday for Six-Game, Seven-Day Homestand - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes vs. El Paso - Reno Aces
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - July 16, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Saturday MVP Field Day to Cap 2019 OKC Dodgers MVP Program Presented by Devon Energy - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Ninth Inning Rally Comes up Short - Salt Lake Bees
- River Cats hang on for wild win in Salt Lake - Sacramento River Cats
- Koch Keeps Chichuahuas Quiet - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Lopes Goes Yard, Tacoma's Winning Streak Snapped by Vegas in Opener - Tacoma Rainiers
- Matt Koch Shines in Aces Homestand Opener - Reno Aces
- Missions Top Chasers 9-5 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Memphis Edges Round Rock 8-6 in Series Opener - Round Rock Express
- 'Cakes Come from Behind and Beat Omaha - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Fresno loses Monday's series-opener at Albuquerque - Fresno Grizzlies
- Isotopes Down Grizzlies 6-2 in Series Opener - Albuquerque Isotopes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.