Florida Panthers Agree to Terms with Goaltender Michael Hutchinson on a 1-Year Contract
SUNRISE, Fla. - Florida Panthers President of Hockey Operations & General Manager Dale Tallon announced today that the Panthers have agreed to terms with goaltender Michael Hutchinson on a one-year, one-way contract.
"Michael is a hard working young goaltender who will bolster our depth in net," said Tallon. "Michael is experienced, he's had success at every level, he's got a big body and we think he has the potential for further growth and development. We're excited to work with him."
Hutchinson, 28, split the season between the Winnipeg Jets and their American Hockey League affiliate, the Manitoba Moose. The 6-foot-3, 202-pound native of Barrie, Ontario, appeared in three games with Winnipeg, owning a 2-1-0 record, 3.26 goals against average and .907 save percentage.
With Manitoba, Hutchinson made 26 appearances, registering a 17-5-4 record and two shutouts. His .935 save percentage and 2.08 goals against average ranked him second and third in the AHL, respectively. Hutchinson played in the 2018 AHL All-Star Game and was named to the 2017-18 AHL Second All-Star Team.
He has played in 102 career NHL games with Winnipeg, posting a 43-39-11 record, 2.65 goals against average, .910 save percentage and three shutouts. In the 2014-15 season, helped the Jets make their first Stanley Cup appearance since moving to Winnipeg in 2011-12, by producing a career-best 21-10-5 record, 2.38 goals against average, .914 save percentage and two shutouts.
Over Hutchinson's career in the AHL, he has appeared in 137 games with Manitoba, St. John's and Providence, registering a 73-47-4 record, 2.42 goals against average, .921 save percentage and 12 shutouts. In the 2014 Calder Cup playoffs, Hutchinson helped lead St. John's to the Calder Cup Finals with a 12-9 record, 1.95 goals against average, .938 save percentage and three shutouts. For his postseason performance, Hutchinson was awarded the Jack A. Butterfield Trophy as the most valuable player of the AHL playoffs.
Hutchinson was originally selected by the Boston Bruins in the third round (77th overall) of the 2008 NHL Draft.
Join our territory and become a Season Ticket Holder to enjoy exclusive savings on select BB&T Center concessions, 25th Anniversary Discount at Pantherland store and priority access to BB&T Center concerts and events. Visit FloridaPanthers.com/TicketCentral or call 954-835-PUCK (7825) for more information.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from July 1, 2018
- Sabres Acquire Forward Trio, Two Draft Picks from Blues - Rochester Americans
- Devils Ink Kurtis Gabriel to One-Year, Two-Way Deal - Binghamton Devils
- Minnesota Wild Signs Seven Players to Start Free Agency - Iowa Wild
- New Jersey Devils Sign (D) John Ramage to Two-Way Deal - Binghamton Devils
- Flames Sign Tyler Graovac and Alan Quine - Stockton Heat
- Heat Sign Pair to AHL Contracts - Stockton Heat
- Nashville Inks Grimaldi, Tinordi to Two-Way Deals - Milwaukee Admirals
- Predators Sign Brickley to Two-Way Deal - Milwaukee Admirals
- Senators Ink McKenna to Two-Way Deal - Belleville Senators
- Ottawa Signs Forward Carey - Belleville Senators
- Monsters Sign Brad Thiessen, Garret Cockerill to One-Year AHL Contracts - Cleveland Monsters
- Columbus Blue Jackets Sign Defenseman Tommy Cross to One-Year, Two-Way NHL/AHL Contract - Cleveland Monsters
- Columbus Blue Jackets Sign Defenseman Adam Clendening to One-Year, Two-Way NHL/AHL Contract - Cleveland Monsters
- Columbus Blue Jackets Sign Defenseman Dillon Simpson to Two-Year, Two-Way NHL/AHL Contract - Cleveland Monsters
- Flames Sign Austin Czarnik, Derek Ryan and Re-Sign Dalton Prout - Stockton Heat
- Tampa Bay Lightning Sign Defenseman Cameron Gaunce to One-Year, Two-Way Contract - Syracuse Crunch
- Florida Panthers Agree to Terms with Goaltender Michael Hutchinson on a 1-Year Contract - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Rocket Agrees to Terms on a One-Year Contract with Laval Native Alexandre Grenier - Laval Rocket
- Rocket Agrees to Terms on a One-Year, Two-Way AHL Contract with Defenseman Ryan Culkin - Laval Rocket
- Rocket Agrees to Terms on a One-Year, One-Way AHL Contract with Centre Nikita Jevpalovs - Laval Rocket
- Capitals Sign Centers Michael Sgarbossa and Jayson Megna - Hershey Bears
- Detroit Adds Megan, Terry, Chelios and Sateri - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Sabres Ink Hickey to Entry-Level Deal - Rochester Americans
- Syracuse Crunch Sign Defenseman Hubert Labrie to One-Year AHL Contract - Syracuse Crunch
- Sabres Agree to Terms with Goaltender Wedgewood - Rochester Americans
- Sabres, Wilson Agree to Two-Year Contract - Rochester Americans
- Sabres, Hutton Agree to Three-Year Deal - Rochester Americans
- Minnesota Wild Agrees to Terms with Defenseman Nick Seeler on a Three-Year Contract - Iowa Wild
- Tampa Bay Lightning Sign Forward Kevin Lynch to One-Year, Two-Way Contract - Syracuse Crunch
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Springfield Thunderbirds Stories
- Montembeault's 41-Save Effort Earns T-Birds a Point
- T-Birds Host Penguins Wednesday for First of Three Games this Week
- Florida Panthers Recall F Anthony Greco from Springfield
- T-Birds Fans Break Franchise Record with 4,602 Stuffed Animals Donated in 2018 Teddy Bear Toss
- Borgstrom, Hutchinson Lead T-Birds to Bounce-Back Win over Devils