Denisenko Drives Checkers Past Hartford in OT
HARTFORD, CT - For the second game in a row, the Checkers needed more than 60 minutes to decide an outcome. And for the second game in a row they came away with a win, thanks to an overtime snipe from Grigori Denisenko that sunk the Wolf Pack 2-1.
Similarly to their last contest, the Checkers found themselves trading chances with their opponent in a fast-paced extra frame, but some relentless forechecking served up a key opportunity for the visitors nearly two minutes in. Heading up an odd-man rush, Denisenko patiently surveyed his options before ripping a quick wrister to the near side that beat Hartford's Francois Brassard and clinched two points for the Checkers.
Denisenko singularly drove the Charlotte offense Wednesday night, as he found the back of the net midway through the third to not only put the visitors on the board for the first time, but to even the score and force the contest beyond regulation.
Joey Daccord found himself in yet another goaltending duel, but once again came out on top, as the netminder turned aside 29 shots to claim his fourth win in his last five outings.
The Checkers are now 8-3-0-0 since the start of December ... The Checkers are 2-0-0-0 in their two meetings with Hartford this season, with both wins coming by one goal ... This was Charlotte's first overtime win of the season, moving the team to 1-2 in games decided in overtime ... Tonight was Grigori Denisenko's second two-goal game of the season ... Joey Daccord has allowed a single goal in four of his last six games and has given up a total of 10 goals over that stretch ... The Checkers have now gone five straight games without giving up a power-play goal ... The Checkers are 3-9-0-0 when trailing for two periods ... Tonight was the 11th one-goal game the Checkers have been in this season, moving them to a 6-3-2-0 record ... Bobby Russell made his Checkers debut ... Max Gildon, John Ludvig and Christopher Gibson missed the game due to injury ... Craig Martin, Nolan Kneen, Nick Albano and Gustav Olofsson were healthy extras
The Checkers return to the Queen City for their first home games of 2022 this weekend, starting with Saturday's Charlotte Night - featuring specialty jerseys that will be auctioned off throughout the game.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 12, 2022
- Wolves Seize Best Record in the AHL - Chicago Wolves
- Islanders Overcome Bears in a Shootout - Bridgeport Islanders
- Crunch Edged by Rocket, 3-2 - Syracuse Crunch
- Islanders Edge Bears in Shootout, 4-3 - Hershey Bears
- Wolf Pack Drop Overtime Heartbreaker against Checkers at XL Center - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Denisenko Drives Checkers Past Hartford in OT - Charlotte Checkers
- Comets Comeback Falls Short against Americans, Lose 7-6 - Utica Comets
- 5 THINGS: HEAT at HSK, 1.12.22 - Stockton Heat
- Game Preview vs. Stockton: January 12 - Henderson Silver Knights
- Phantoms Power Play Presented by Provident Bank - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Condors Home this Weekend with $2 Beers and Gamer Night - Bakersfield Condors
- Wolf Pack Return Home for Date with Checkers - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Heat Head to Henderson for Wednesday Bout - Stockton Heat
- Reichel Joins the Blackhawks; IceHogs Receive Five from Chicago - Rockford IceHogs
- Dallas Stars Recall Anton Khudobin and Rhett Gardner from Texas - Texas Stars
- Moose Sign Matt Alfaro, Chris Martenet and Keoni Texeira - Manitoba Moose
- Hodgson Signs Two-Year Extension - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Wolf Pack Sign Forward Jacob Hayhurst to PTO - Hartford Wolf Pack
- IceHogs Unveil Premium Raffle for Autism Awareness Night Supporting the Autism Program of Easterseals - Rockford IceHogs
- IceHogs Defenseman Jakub Galvas Becomes 104th Alum to Skate with Blackhawks; Fourth Alum to Make NHL Debut this Season - Rockford IceHogs
- Game Preview: Islanders at Bears, 7 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Syracuse Crunch to Hold Monday Matinee January 17 - Syracuse Crunch
- Patrick Watling Signs PTO with Penguins - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Marlies Host Sens in Mid-Week Battle of Ontario - Toronto Marlies
- Minnesota Wild Recalls Defenseman Kevin Czuczman from Iowa - Iowa Wild
- Blues Recall Rosen, Walker to Taxi Squad - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Game #26: Tucson at San Jose - Tucson Roadrunners
- Islanders Head to Hershey for Wednesday Night Hockey - Bridgeport Islanders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Charlotte Checkers Stories
- Evan Fitzpatrick Assigned to Greenville, Checkers Release Craig Martin and Spencer Ashucak from PTOs
- Checkers Sign Jacob Friend and Jordan Sambrook to PTOs
- Kraken Recall Cale Fleury to Taxi Squad, Assign Antoine Bibeau to Charlotte
- Weekly Report: Billy's Big Week, Avoiding a Skid and More
- Checkers Fall Flat against Phantoms in Home Stand Finale