Islanders Edge Bears in Shootout, 4-3
(Hershey, PA) - The Hershey Bears dropped a 4-3 shootout decision against the Bridgeport Islanders on Wednesday night at GIANT Center. The Bears record shifts to 18-10-2-2 before returning to action on Saturday, Jan. 15 against the Toronto Marlies.
Hershey jumped out to a 2-0 lead in the 1st period courtesy of two shorthanded goals. Shane Gersich opened the scoring with his ninth marker of the season at 12:57 on an offensive rush. Riley Sutter and Tobias Geisser recorded the helpers. Brian Pinho scored his first goal of the season shorthanded at 19:01 after being set up by Axel Jonsson-Fjallby. Shots after 20 minutes were 10-8 Bridgeport.
In the second period, the Islanders erased Hershey's lead with two goals in less than a minute. Seth Helgeson scored on a blast from the left point at 15:02, followed by the equalizer from Paul Thompson at 15:49. Shots after 40 minutes were 22-20 Islanders.
Bridgeport grabbed their first lead of the night late in the final period before the Chocolate and White rallied. After killing a too many men on the ice penalty, Erik Brown vacated the penalty box and scored on a 2-on-1 rush to provide the Islanders a 3-2 advantage. Hershey erased the one-goal deficit at the 17:44 mark on Joe Snively's 11th goal of the season courtesy of Geisser and Jonsson-Fjallby.
The game progressed to overtime and eventually a shootout in a 3-3 deadlock. Michael Dal Colle converted in the first round, and Bridgeport goaltender Jakub Skarek denied all three Bears shooters to hand the Isles the 4-3 victory.
Final shots on goal totaled 30-29 Hershey. The Bears finished 0-for-2 on the power play and 3-for-3 on the penalty kill.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 12, 2022
- Wolves Seize Best Record in the AHL - Chicago Wolves
- Islanders Overcome Bears in a Shootout - Bridgeport Islanders
- Crunch Edged by Rocket, 3-2 - Syracuse Crunch
- Islanders Edge Bears in Shootout, 4-3 - Hershey Bears
- Wolf Pack Drop Overtime Heartbreaker against Checkers at XL Center - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Denisenko Drives Checkers Past Hartford in OT - Charlotte Checkers
- Comets Comeback Falls Short against Americans, Lose 7-6 - Utica Comets
- 5 THINGS: HEAT at HSK, 1.12.22 - Stockton Heat
- Game Preview vs. Stockton: January 12 - Henderson Silver Knights
- Phantoms Power Play Presented by Provident Bank - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Condors Home this Weekend with $2 Beers and Gamer Night - Bakersfield Condors
- Wolf Pack Return Home for Date with Checkers - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Heat Head to Henderson for Wednesday Bout - Stockton Heat
- Reichel Joins the Blackhawks; IceHogs Receive Five from Chicago - Rockford IceHogs
- Dallas Stars Recall Anton Khudobin and Rhett Gardner from Texas - Texas Stars
- Moose Sign Matt Alfaro, Chris Martenet and Keoni Texeira - Manitoba Moose
- Hodgson Signs Two-Year Extension - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Wolf Pack Sign Forward Jacob Hayhurst to PTO - Hartford Wolf Pack
- IceHogs Unveil Premium Raffle for Autism Awareness Night Supporting the Autism Program of Easterseals - Rockford IceHogs
- IceHogs Defenseman Jakub Galvas Becomes 104th Alum to Skate with Blackhawks; Fourth Alum to Make NHL Debut this Season - Rockford IceHogs
- Game Preview: Islanders at Bears, 7 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Syracuse Crunch to Hold Monday Matinee January 17 - Syracuse Crunch
- Patrick Watling Signs PTO with Penguins - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Marlies Host Sens in Mid-Week Battle of Ontario - Toronto Marlies
- Minnesota Wild Recalls Defenseman Kevin Czuczman from Iowa - Iowa Wild
- Blues Recall Rosen, Walker to Taxi Squad - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Game #26: Tucson at San Jose - Tucson Roadrunners
- Islanders Head to Hershey for Wednesday Night Hockey - Bridgeport Islanders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.