IceHogs Defenseman Jakub Galvas Becomes 104th Alum to Skate with Blackhawks; Fourth Alum to Make NHL Debut this Season
Chicago Blackhawks defenseman Jakub Galvas became the 104th Rockford IceHogs alumni to go to go from Rockford to the Blackhawks and the 137th to reach the National Hockey League, making his NHL debut last night against the Columbus Blue Jackets.
Galvas played an impressive 23:40 in his NHL debut last night, the most by any Blackhawks player since Duncan Keith's debut in 2005! He joins defenseman Isaak Phillips, forward Josiah Slavin and goaltender Arvid Soderblom as members of the IceHogs to make their NHL debuts with the Blackhawks this season.
"I was very surprised how good he played," Blackhawks Interim Head Coach and former IceHogs Head Coach Derek King mentioned to the media after the game. "I knew he was pretty calm with the puck, could skate, make plays and he's a smart player, but he looked really good today. He stepped up. That's not easy."
Playing in his first professional season in North America, Galvas, netted six points (1G, 5A) in 20 games with the IceHogs this season before earning his first NHL call-up on Jan. 6.
Drafted by the Blackhawks in the fifth round (150th overall) of the 2017 National Hockey League Draft, Galvas added 11 points (2G, 9A) in 47 contests with Jukurit of the Finnish Elite League (Liiga) last season. His 11 points ranked third among Jukurit defensemen.
A 5-foot-11, 161-pound defenseman, Galvas notched a career-high 15 points (2G, 13A) in 43 games with Jukurit during the 2019-20 campaign. He also appeared in two regular-season games with Jukurit U20 and skated in one postseason contest with the club in 2019-20. In 90 career games with Jukurit, the blueliner has recorded 26 points (4G, 22A).
A native of Ostrava, Czech Republic, Galvas was an alternate captain for his country at the 2019 IIHF World Junior Championship. He recorded an assist in five games during the tournament. He also skated for Czech Republic at the 2018 IIHF World Junior Championship, notching two helpers in seven games, and skated in two games at the 2017 U18 IIHF World Junior Championship.
The IceHogs are back in action at BMO Harris Bank Center on Friday, Jan. 14 against the Cleveland Monsters at 7 p.m. on a $2 Bud Light Friday! Enjoy $2 Bud Light cans through the second intermission! Buy Tickets
Watch and listen to the action on the IceHogs Broadcast Network presented by BMO Harris Bank! Tune in from your favorite device, at home or on the road at IceHogs.com and on the IceHogs app! Fans can also watch every IceHogs home game and select road games this season on 23.3 Circle TV and every game on AHLTV and listen in on all of Mid-West Family's local stations including 104.9 The X, B103, 95.3 The Bull, and Rockford Greatest Hits 100.5 and featured on Rock River Current.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 12, 2022
- Wolves Seize Best Record in the AHL - Chicago Wolves
- Islanders Overcome Bears in a Shootout - Bridgeport Islanders
- Crunch Edged by Rocket, 3-2 - Syracuse Crunch
- Islanders Edge Bears in Shootout, 4-3 - Hershey Bears
- Wolf Pack Drop Overtime Heartbreaker against Checkers at XL Center - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Denisenko Drives Checkers Past Hartford in OT - Charlotte Checkers
- Comets Comeback Falls Short against Americans, Lose 7-6 - Utica Comets
- 5 THINGS: HEAT at HSK, 1.12.22 - Stockton Heat
- Game Preview vs. Stockton: January 12 - Henderson Silver Knights
- Phantoms Power Play Presented by Provident Bank - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Condors Home this Weekend with $2 Beers and Gamer Night - Bakersfield Condors
- Wolf Pack Return Home for Date with Checkers - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Heat Head to Henderson for Wednesday Bout - Stockton Heat
- Reichel Joins the Blackhawks; IceHogs Receive Five from Chicago - Rockford IceHogs
- Dallas Stars Recall Anton Khudobin and Rhett Gardner from Texas - Texas Stars
- Moose Sign Matt Alfaro, Chris Martenet and Keoni Texeira - Manitoba Moose
- Hodgson Signs Two-Year Extension - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Wolf Pack Sign Forward Jacob Hayhurst to PTO - Hartford Wolf Pack
- IceHogs Unveil Premium Raffle for Autism Awareness Night Supporting the Autism Program of Easterseals - Rockford IceHogs
- IceHogs Defenseman Jakub Galvas Becomes 104th Alum to Skate with Blackhawks; Fourth Alum to Make NHL Debut this Season - Rockford IceHogs
- Game Preview: Islanders at Bears, 7 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Syracuse Crunch to Hold Monday Matinee January 17 - Syracuse Crunch
- Patrick Watling Signs PTO with Penguins - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Marlies Host Sens in Mid-Week Battle of Ontario - Toronto Marlies
- Minnesota Wild Recalls Defenseman Kevin Czuczman from Iowa - Iowa Wild
- Blues Recall Rosen, Walker to Taxi Squad - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Game #26: Tucson at San Jose - Tucson Roadrunners
- Islanders Head to Hershey for Wednesday Night Hockey - Bridgeport Islanders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Rockford IceHogs Stories
- End of Season Garage Sale Returns June 4
- Rockford IceHogs 2022-23 Player Tracker
- IceHogs Season Comes to an End, Wolves Advance to Central Division Finals
- IceHogs Look to Keep Season Alive with Win over Wolves Tonight at the BMO
- IceHogs Outshot, Overpowered by Wolves