Defenseman Blake Hillman Returns To Toledo
Toledo, OH - Defenseman Blake Hillman has agreed to terms with the Toledo Walleye for the 2020-21 season.
Hillman returns to the pond after splitting his time between Toledo, Grand Rapids, and Stockton during the 2019-20 season. He played 35 games for the Fish where he racked up 13 points (1G, 12A) and 8 penalty minutes. The 24-year-old added 12 games at the AHL level- five with the Griffins and seven with the Heat.
Head Coach Dan Watson is excited to have Hillman return for his second season with the Walleye. "He has great patience with the puck, plays a smart and detailed game and has tremendous leadership skills. He will be counted on heavily to play against teams top lines and anchor our penalty kill unit again."
Hillman was drafted in the sixth round of the 2016 draft (#173 overall) by the Chicago Blackhawks out of the University of Denver. The Elk River, Minnesota native made his professional debut by skating in four games for the Blackhawks at the end of the 2017-18 season that saw him collect his first pro goal on April 4, 2018 at St. Louis. Hillman spent the 2018-19 with Rockford in the AHL appearing in 54 games with four points (1G, 3A) and 20 penalty minutes for the IceHogs.
In his three years at the University of Denver, he skated in 123 games with seven goals, 24 assists and 84 penalty minutes. In total he was a plus 24 or the Pioneers. Hillman's best college year came in the 2017-18 season when in 41 games he posted 12 points (3G, 9A) with 52 penalty minutes while skating as a plus six. He helped lead the Pioneers to the 2017 Frozen Four Championship as a sophomore when Denver defeated Minnesota-Duluth 3-2 in the championship contest. Hillman collected the Most Outstanding Player of the NCAA West Regional in 2016 when he picked up four points (2G, 2A) in two games that included a game-winning goal over Ferris State.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from December 14, 2020
- Rabbits Weekly - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- ECHL Transactions - December 14 - ECHL
- Rockford Assigns Three to Indy - Indy Fuel
- Stingrays Announce Roster Additions - South Carolina Stingrays
- Solar Bears Sign Veteran Forward Ben Thomson - Orlando Solar Bears
- Grizzlies Weekly: Home Opening Weekend - Utah Grizzlies
- Thunder Announces Second Window of Games - Wichita Thunder
- Defenseman Blake Hillman Returns To Toledo - Toledo Walleye
- Nailers Announce Second Set of Games in 2020-21 - Wheeling Nailers
- Grizzlies Games Announced from January 15- February 9 - Utah Grizzlies
- ECHL Announces Additional 2020-21 Schedule Dates - South Carolina Stingrays
- Fuel Announce Second Window of ECHL Schedule - Indy Fuel
- Solar Bears Announce Second Phase of 2020-21 Schedule - Orlando Solar Bears
- Americans Announce 6 More Home Games - Allen Americans
- Rush, ECHL, Announces Next Wave of 2020-21 Season Schedule - Rapid City Rush
- Oilers Announce Phase-Two Schedule - Tulsa Oilers
- Everblades Announce Additional Games for 2020-21 Season - Florida Everblades
- Mavericks Announce Second Portion of 2020-21 Regular Season - Kansas City Mavericks
- Indy Fuel Pit Stop: Week 1 - Indy Fuel
- Everblades Weekly - Florida Everblades
- Stingrays Weekly Report - December 14 - South Carolina Stingrays
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.