Solar Bears Sign Veteran Forward Ben Thomson
ORLANDO, Fla. - The Orlando Solar Bears have announced the club has signed veteran forward Ben Thomson to an ECHL Standard Player Contract for the 2020-21 season. Orlando has also released rookie forward Matt Alvaro.
Thomson, 27, joins Orlando after recording 15 points (5g-10a) and 23 penalty minutes in 23 games with the Worcester Railers in 2019-20. He also logged one assist and seven penalty minutes in five games with the AHL's Bridgeport Sound Tigers.
The 6-foot-3, 215-pound forward has appeared in 360 total career games of pro hockey, including three matches with the NHL's New Jersey Devils. He has played the majority of his career in the AHL with Bridgeport, San Diego, Binghamton and Albany, producing 71 points (29g-42a) and 513 penalty minutes in 334 games.
Prior to turning pro, the native of Orangeville, Ontario played major junior hockey in the OHL for the North Bay Battalion and Kitchener Rangers, recording 150 points (65g-85a) and 483 penalty minutes in 303 games.
Thomson was a fourth-round selection (#96 overall) of the New Jersey Devils in the 2012 NHL Draft.
Alvaro, 24, has skated in one game with Orlando this season.
NEXT GAME: Orlando is back in action on Friday, Dec. 18 when the team travels to Wheeling to face the Nailers at 7:10 p.m. The Solar Bears play their first home game of the 2020-21 regular season on Tuesday, Dec. 29 vs. the Jacksonville Icemen.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from December 14, 2020
- Rabbits Weekly - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- ECHL Transactions - December 14 - ECHL
- Rockford Assigns Three to Indy - Indy Fuel
- Stingrays Announce Roster Additions - South Carolina Stingrays
- Solar Bears Sign Veteran Forward Ben Thomson - Orlando Solar Bears
- Grizzlies Weekly: Home Opening Weekend - Utah Grizzlies
- Thunder Announces Second Window of Games - Wichita Thunder
- Defenseman Blake Hillman Returns To Toledo - Toledo Walleye
- Nailers Announce Second Set of Games in 2020-21 - Wheeling Nailers
- Grizzlies Games Announced from January 15- February 9 - Utah Grizzlies
- ECHL Announces Additional 2020-21 Schedule Dates - South Carolina Stingrays
- Fuel Announce Second Window of ECHL Schedule - Indy Fuel
- Solar Bears Announce Second Phase of 2020-21 Schedule - Orlando Solar Bears
- Americans Announce 6 More Home Games - Allen Americans
- Rush, ECHL, Announces Next Wave of 2020-21 Season Schedule - Rapid City Rush
- Oilers Announce Phase-Two Schedule - Tulsa Oilers
- Everblades Announce Additional Games for 2020-21 Season - Florida Everblades
- Mavericks Announce Second Portion of 2020-21 Regular Season - Kansas City Mavericks
- Indy Fuel Pit Stop: Week 1 - Indy Fuel
- Everblades Weekly - Florida Everblades
- Stingrays Weekly Report - December 14 - South Carolina Stingrays
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Orlando Solar Bears Stories
- Windsor shuts door on Swamp Rabbits in 3-0 win
- Nikita Pavlychev Returns to Solar Bears
- Bird, LeBlanc lift Solar Bears to 4-3 OT win over Swamp Rabbits
- Tonight's Start Time for Game against Greenville Delayed Until 7:30 p.m. ET
- Brady Boardman Selected as Teacher of the Month for March